Why do you strive for diamond/master??

Competitive Discussion
It's fun to be good at a game. I'm naturally competitive.

As an adult I have nowhere near the time I did when I was younger to sink in thousands of hours. I have a couple hundred since release in comp. Getting to masters with so little time feels good.

Feels good to know I can get that high and play there.

I kinda wanna stream but I mean. I don't think I'd get a good base.
02/18/2018 06:59 PMPosted by spinfusor
02/17/2018 10:13 PMPosted by JTMoney
Simply put, people are competitive and want to win.

100% false. Master is almost the same as diamond, which is almost the same as plat. The only difference is you get people who think they are pros and a decent team a *slightly higher* percentage of the time.

As someone who has played from Gold to Top 500 I can tell you this is absolutely false. As you reach the midpoint of each tier the games are vastly different. I've been a hardcore mercy main for about 4 season now, flexing a bit as needed, but when I made a dps account to practice and get better I placed in low plat.

Took me about 2 days to get to diamond, players in platinum just do not have coordination or ult management on average. Diamond on the other hand has people who have good enough mechanical skill to get by, or good enough gamesense to succeed. But rarely both, so it's a giant moshpit of randomness and smurfs. I peaked around 3700 on that account, but masters players punish mistakes and poor aim much harder.

Masters is where you see players who start to really know what to do and CAN do it, having the mechanics and gamesense to start working together more consistently. These are generalizations but you get the point, I can hard carry on DPS in plat, but stick me in high diamond or masters and I'm probably going to have a lot of problems.
02/17/2018 10:01 PMPosted by SaVaGeOnE
Like... whats the point? I keep hearing how much of a chore diamond and up is but unless you are making a full on living from playing (and not less than minimum wage) why do you play so much and strive for top tiers?

Seriously curious

It's a validation need. They feel the need to be validated by the community because they are not self-aware enough and/or mature to know they are decent human being, without external validation. They are missing coping mechanisms and have hard times realizing that they can be worthy person, so they rely on other people hoping they will aprecite them and on made up concept of high ranks and respect.

I dont see the point either. Games are the same no matter if you are in bronze or platinum.
It’s a competitive game and I like competition.
It’s not super mario where I get rewarded for finding stars, I get rewarded in OW by winning.

Winning is all that matters, people’s feelings and emotions come second to the singular goal of winning.

On my main I’m in mid masters playing Zen / Ana / Moira.
Winning is the best feeling, every game lost is an oppotunity to look at myself and decide what I could do better.

I play for the competition.
02/17/2018 10:18 PMPosted by Hun
Why don't you just ask, why play any competitive game? Why play sports? Why play games?

Diamond+ isn't a chore, it's the people that can't handle playing 2 hours a week and complain about it for no reason.

Also getting to a certain rank, is difficult relative to who you talk to. For example a Top 500 DPS, wouldn't be to comprehend how someone gets stuck at Diamond because Diamond players are trash players. It's all relative, as to why people hit a certain rank.

Good luck

Diamond/Master is infested with trolls and smurfs .

90% of matches are garbage.
I am about done. Almost 200 games this season get 2 wins from master. Another 200 sr drop. Reset the grind all over again. Solo is hell. So many times I hit 3400s and drop back down to 3100s. It's tiresome.
02/19/2018 08:01 AMPosted by JuicyBrucie
I am about done. Almost 200 games this season get 2 wins from master. Another 200 sr drop. Reset the grind all over again. Solo is hell. So many times I hit 3400s and drop back down to 3100s. It's tiresome.

Just means you’re not ready yet.
I spent 3 seasons in diamond before I figured out what I was doing wrong and you likely do the same.

The more I lost, the more I tilted, the more I tilted, the more I lost.

I didn’t even realise I was tilted but 100% I was.
I do it because that's where i feel like i have fun in games. You will get those trash games no matter what rank you are in, but i've found i get consistently more challenging, fun games the higher elo i get. Also, if you are able to improve with the time you spend in the game, why not? there is a satisfaction knowing you have a level of skill that you can play at and then improving that bit by bit.
02/17/2018 10:01 PMPosted by SaVaGeOnE
Like... whats the point? I keep hearing how much of a chore diamond and up is but unless you are making a full on living from playing (and not less than minimum wage) why do you play so much and strive for top tiers?

Seriously curious

I am just really competitive and like to win.
The idea of not being the best or trying to be the best at something just irritates me.

I won't do it unless I give it that kind of effort.
I wanted to prove myself I could get to Master if I wanted to in S4, worked my way up from 2800 to 3600 that season and then stopped playing comp.

In S5, S6 and S7 I only did placements and the missing wins for a gold weapon, always being in mid to low Diamond.

Now in S8, I was about to get the golden portrait border and I simply didn't wanna be insulted by people for being "only Diamond" with a golden border. So I played up to 3515 and stopped playing again. (I've seen it happening even with silver borders, so I didn't wanna be bothered in qp with stuff like "omg, how can you be so bad that you're only playing at 3000 with a gold border")

Well. Since I will get a gold weapon at the end of S8 with the rewards from CTF (where I played to GM just to get the gold weapon reward, so about 25 games played) I will very likely just do the placements in S9 and stop playing again. If I'm placing in Diamond but close to Master I'll do the games needed to get back to 3500 but not more.

The only incentive for me now are the gold weapons (which I don't really care about that much anymore) and to not get flamed in QP as I'm usually playing with Master+ players there and some of them seem to !@#$ talk Diamonds a lot.

Once you reached a certain level of mechanical skill and expertise in the game, getting to high Diamond or Master doesn't require to play 10h every day. It took me about 3 weeks of playing 3-4h a day to make the climb from Plat to Master for the first time.
Now I am playing about 1-2h per day on average (looking at my weekly hours) but mostly QP and Arcade. I play stuff I enjoy, don't tryhard and it's enough to stay in shape for the next competitive season and to maintain a 55%+ win rate at the Master border.
02/19/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Musicxmp3
I wanted to prove myself I could get to Master if I wanted to in S4, worked my way up from 2800 to 3600 that season and then stopped playing comp.

In S5, S6 and S7 I only did placements and the missing wins for a gold weapon, always being in mid to low Diamond.

Now in S8, I was about to get the golden portrait border and I simply didn't wanna be insulted by people for being "only Diamond" with a golden border. So I played up to 3515 and stopped playing again. (I've seen it happening even with silver borders, so I didn't wanna be bothered in qp with stuff like "omg, how can you be so bad that you're only playing at 3000 with a gold border")

Well. Since I will get a gold weapon at the end of S8 with the rewards from CTF (where I played to GM just to get the gold weapon reward, so about 25 games played) I will very likely just do the placements in S9 and stop playing again. If I'm placing in Diamond but close to Master I'll do the games needed to get back to 3500 but not more.

The only incentive for me now are the gold weapons (which I don't really care about that much anymore) and to not get flamed in QP as I'm usually playing with Master+ players there and some of them seem to !@#$ talk Diamonds a lot.

Once you reached a certain level of mechanical skill and expertise in the game, getting to high Diamond or Master doesn't require to play 10h every day. It took me about 3 weeks of playing 3-4h a day to make the climb from Plat to Master for the first time.
Now I am playing about 1-2h per day on average (looking at my weekly hours) but mostly QP and Arcade. I play stuff I enjoy, don't tryhard and it's enough to stay in shape for the next competitive season and to maintain a 55%+ win rate at the Master border.

So reaching masters is the end goal?
You get to masters and stop?

Low masters is basically diamond and it’s not skilful, it’s just above average.

Why do you want golden weapons and gold border if you aren’t playing comp?

What possible enjoyment can you get from playing anything but comp.
OW is a competitive game, not playing competitive makes no sense to me.
02/19/2018 08:31 AMPosted by ExiledJr
02/19/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Musicxmp3

So reaching masters is the end goal?
You get to masters and stop?

Low masters is basically diamond and it’s not skilful, it’s just above average.

Why do you want golden weapons and gold border if you aren’t playing comp?

What possible enjoyment can you get from playing anything but comp.
OW is a competitive game, not playing competitive makes no sense to me.

Masters is top 3%. "just above average".

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/878359-overwatch/75088178

I mean, all right, but I think you're using the word wrong.
02/19/2018 08:11 AMPosted by ExiledJr
02/19/2018 08:01 AMPosted by JuicyBrucie

Just means you’re not ready yet.
I spent 3 seasons in diamond before I figured out what I was doing wrong and you likely do the same.

The more I lost, the more I tilted, the more I tilted, the more I lost.

I didn’t even realise I was tilted but 100% I was.
it's not even titling anymore. It's so predictable. I think it's this season. I never dropped and climb so sporadically until the changes came in. I can accept being in a rank if I was stagnant. But this is some day trading nonsense.
Because any other mode is a joke and the only way to get any kind of seriousness is to play comp. "It's just quick play"
Because it's fun. It's fun to do your best, know you're playing to challenge yourself, and get the best reward: wins. If you lose, then you can look back and learn something new (in most cases. if you have a game with a throwing duo then you probably can't learn anything.)

And no, Masters is not "just above average". Actual average is around 2.3k SR. It's a struggle for most people to even get out of plat, even if they are great at the game, due to the grab-bag of skill disparity in that rank.

If it's not fun for you, in whatever elo you are in, or are striving for, then it's not the mode for you.