Asking for a switch isn't a bad thing.

General Discussion
Why is it when you ask someone to switch they automatically assume you are saying they are bad?... I asked for a torb to switch, not because he was bad he was killing it to that point, but because the other team started to counter him heavily. I was polite when I asked, but his answer was !@#$ 3 gold %^-*!... Don't understand people.
Torb is life
I suppose a good way for them to not be triggered is to explain your reasons, if you only tell him to switch then he will think that.
Heroes require different skillsets, so remember to take the time to ask them nicely if there's other heroes they're skilled with that might work better against enemy comp. You can have a great comp but without skill in using those heroes, it won't benefit you.
02/18/2018 06:30 PMPosted by PaPa
I suppose a good way for them to not be triggered is to explain your reasons, if you only tell him to switch then he will think that.

next time I will try phrasing it different to see if I can get a different response. I always feel bad when I have to ask someone to siwtch, especially a symm or torb. I know they get a lot of garbage as it is.
02/18/2018 06:35 PMPosted by Elyrh
Heroes require different skillsets, so remember to take the time to ask them nicely if there's other heroes they're skilled with that might work better against enemy comp. You can have a great comp but without skill in using those heroes, it won't benefit you.

I will remember that. Asking if they have a solution to them being countered may work better than me suggesting a fix for them. Good advice thanks.
Diplomacy is a skill in this game, and everyone would benefit from working at improving that skill.

From time to time I've considered starting a thread asking people to share their best tips on encouraging productive changes in their team's comp and tactics. But it's really such a deep subject, and so very situational, that I kept feeling that there really are no 'pat' answers or easy tips that people can adopt from others.

In the end it comes from having very strong gamesense and empathy, and that can't be taught.
Can i ask why you are requesting others to switch in any mode but more specifically QP/arcade? And do you think people asking you to switch off hanzo on a regular basis would improve the entertainment value of overwatch for you?
Like others have pointed it out, it's all in the phrasing

"Hey man, your Winston is getting triple countered. Are there other tanks you'd be willing to play? If not, I'd be happy to switch with you. A shield tank like Orisa might go a long way".

It seems like a lot to say, but can easily be typed or said while you're waiting for a respawn.

Give reasoning, offer solutions, and be willing to compromise if someone disagrees with your assessment
If I ever want teammates to switch, I usually phrase the question as a request to "switch to _____" instead of "switch off/from _____".

"I notice you're getting countered pretty hard right now and the enemy Symmetra is really causing us trouble. Are you any good at Winston?"
is harder to take negatively than
"I notice you're getting countered pretty hard right now. Would you mind switching off Torbjorn and playing something else?"

And if I can't think of any better hero for them to switch to, then I figure I clearly don't have enough of a grasp on the situation to be asking them to switch in the first place. I just point out what troubles I see to the whole team and see if anyone else thinks of a solution.
The problem is that asking for switches is overused. You hear it in every game so it gets stale very quickly. Even when I'm not the one being asked to switch, I basically just want them to Shut up. They ain't gonna switch anyway 95% of the time. Would rather the coms be used for shot calling and important info about enemy positions, ults, etc...

It's like that awkward guy at your work who says "hey hows it goin" or "hey _insert name_" every time he walks by you, so like 5 times a day. It gets annoying real quick. Like don't these people have work to do? Why is this guy walking around saying hi to everyone instead of doing his job? And yo you already said hi to me in the morning and I said hi back, don't talk to me hours later as if we didn't already greet each other. Makes me sick.
I have had success with converting really stubborn people with my patented "Be a Hero" pitch. I only use this when I can tell that the person in question knows that they should switch but has been triggered by others on the team.

I will put as much sincerity as I can muster into it "C'mon, man. Your team needs you today. Be a Hero. Make the switch. I know you can do it."

I have SAVED games with this one. It's not hard to see what I'm doing here. People really do like to feel valuable to others. I'm inviting them IN instead of shutting them OUT. Instead of asking them to do the team's bidding I am offering them a chance of redemption. I'm also expressing empathy to them that I know that what I am asking them to do might be difficult, ego-wise. If they already feel insulted and de-valued by the team, it can be hard for them to capitulate without feeling that they are subjugating themselves to others, and that's a natural human instinct.

Like I said before, you can't just figure out a certain way of asking someone to switch that will work every time. Situations are too complex. But if you work at your diplomatic patter and your switch requests (nuance matters!!!!) you will find better success in the game. It really is worth the effort.
You don’t understand why people don’t want to take orders from a stranger when they are playing a game?

Don’t you take enough orders from your work already?
02/18/2018 06:27 PMPosted by Synickle
but because the other team started to counter him heavily.

This.... is a load of crap. This is just something people say on the forums so they can feel good about telling a person to swap off a hero they don't like.
02/18/2018 07:40 PMPosted by Buttercult
02/18/2018 06:27 PMPosted by Synickle
but because the other team started to counter him heavily.

This.... is a load of crap. This is just something people say on the forums so they can feel good about telling a person to swap off a hero they don't like.
I would love to know what doesn't counter Torbjorn because the whole 9 minutes of play time in the hands of pros during the OWL was not very helpful. The 98 hours of DVA playtime says alot about what she counters though.
02/18/2018 06:51 PMPosted by robotwizard
Can i ask why you are requesting others to switch in any mode but more specifically QP/arcade? And do you think people asking you to switch off hanzo on a regular basis would improve the entertainment value of overwatch for you?

I was asking for switch because we were really close to winning, and they swapped out a couple dps to add dva and junkrat with the orisa they already had. I actually wasn't playing hanzo I was playing lucio as we needed more healing than what the single healer we had can do. But when people ask me to swap Hanzo I usually will because winning is fun too. Like I said the torb was killing it up to the last stretch of the map and I seen no reason to swap out what was probably a big factor to us winning till that point, but they did finally counter him so I asked.

As for qp or arcade, I play the modes because I know that I am not a higher than plat player (mechanically I am just not that strong, if I had to guess high silver low gold maybe.) and I dont like that they make people play 2 different versions of comp. So I dont play comp as my small way of protest. But I do try to play qp in the same way that you would play comp minus the meta team picks. Because realistically at my skill range every hero is viable if you can play them.