Elo Hell is purely caused by smurfs

General Discussion
Without smurfs elo hell would really be just a mind thing. And if you played every game with all 12 players on their main account, you would averagely climb if you deserved better rank.

Season 2 was great example, everyone was at their rank they deserved mostly. It was the most accurate season by far, because smurfs used to be still rare back then. I had alt account back then and i climbed to 3800 (my average rank) pretty much insantly.

Now its not longer like this. There are smurfs everywhere especcially on consoles.

So if you play better then your rank with 55% of winrate lest say, you should climb right? No, just a bit of unluck of getting 4k SR smurf hiding behind 3k in enemy team instead of your team in few games and your real 55% winrate is smashed under 50%.

You get my point. I was placed lowest ever this season, 3400, was playing between GMS/Top 500 since S1-S7. Started climbing in straight wins back, 100% winrate with Soldier, 6kd, 6 wins, you can see it in stats and these games were pretty much just stomp so i can get higher, where i used to be, 1st loss? Yes, you guessed it, my GM friend on lvl 40 alt 3500 against me and i lost that fight.

I mean Elo hell isnt really elo hell, its more like elo time, if i played 100h this season i would be around 3800 rank, with that much time i would outcome the unlucky/lucky odds.

If someone has 100+h on a season i still believe his rank is kinda accurate.

Just my point is that not everyone have so much time and it takes too long to adjust SRs properly mainly due to smurfs.

And with every season it takes more and more time to adjust ranks because of that. Maybe hard reset after s10 would be cool refreshment? There will be much less smurfs because main account would wan to get their rank back.

But i guess there is nothing Blizz can do against it.
I think smurfs will dramatically increase the number of games you'll need to play to find your true rank. Right now it may be 100+ games but in the future it may be 200+ games.

Really pulls away the power of the individual in a game where the individual is already powerless.
For me: Elo Hell is not caused ONLY by smurf, it can also be caused by a lot of other things (boosted players, lagged players, throwers, people just having a bad day, etc)

I think that smurfs are causing the Elo Hell, but Elo Hell doesn't exist only because them.
02/19/2018 08:03 AMPosted by Halo
I think smurfs will dramatically increase the number of games you'll need to play to find your true rank. Right now it may be 100+ games but in the future it may be 200+ games.

Really pulls away the power of the individual in a game where the individual is already powerless.

Pretty much this.
02/19/2018 08:04 AMPosted by Darko
For me: Elo Hell is not caused ONLY by smurf, it can also be caused by a lot of other things (boosted players, lagged players, throwers, people just having a bad day, etc)

I think that smurfs are causing the Elo Hell, but Elo Hell doesn't exist only because them.

Yes good point, “only” wasnt the correct word, what i meant is that throwers and lagged players will just be here always, its a natural mistake of pvp games which you can never fight properly. In terms of smurfs there will be always a bit of hope of some changes around them
You rang?
02/19/2018 08:08 AMPosted by ȄĿȎĦȆĿĿ
You rang?

Huh? Is rang some kind of a potato?
The smurfs are just the part of the stroy.
They game will throw any kind of strong opponent at you if you are on a winning streak. The smurfs are just making it easier for that to happen.
It actually wouldn't change much, as both teams would have less smurfs. Therefore still being even.

Eol is someone who is meant to be a higher rank but yet trapped because of poor teammates who are at the correct rank. And your team is only as good as your worst member. This causes you to stay back. Smurfs just bring games down for everyone.
02/19/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Foxter
It actually wouldn't change much, as both teams would have less smurfs. Therefore still being even.

Eol is someone who is meant to be a higher rank but yet trapped because of poor teammates who are at the correct rank. And your team is only as good as your worst member. This causes you to stay back.

But smurf is much more powerful variable then poor teammate.

Example, imagine a 1 potentional poor teammate in your team and none in enemy team, in this case you can outperform the negative variable in your team and win.

Now imagine 1 smurf in enemy team and none in yours, no you dont only need to outplay your own rank but also beat someone who may be 500 SR above your rank.

Do you get my point? My english is not native language so these compares are hard for me.

Yesterday, played several games and at least 60% had smurfs... wherein one player was actually even named Smurf.
02/19/2018 08:07 AMPosted by Ares

Yes good point, “only” wasnt the correct word, what i meant is that throwers and lagged players will just be here always, its a natural mistake of pvp games which you can never fight properly. In terms of smurfs there will be always a bit of hope of some changes around them

Actually, i think that blizzard is capable of deleting all throwers on overwatch by just giving them an IP ban and that's it.
The problem is: When can we consider someone ACTUALLY throwing? Because maybe they're playing bad because he's just on a bad day an that's it and people report for throwing only because they're playing bad.

The funniest thing about it is that they get banned by the autoban system. And probably someone that's CLEARLY THROWING THE GAME by killing himself for example, they do not get banned for some reason.
It is important to note that the OP is playing on a PS4, where alternates/smurfs are a huge problem, more than on the other platforms due to how easy it is to create a new account. This happens on Xbox, too, but to a lesser degree, as it is a little harder to create an alternate account.

Leaving is a massive issue on consoles, far more than throwing, and these garbage accounts are a significant contributor to that.

Actually, season 2 was the least accurate season on record. Something absurd like 90% of the player base was placed in Gold, so placements were anything but accurate and games after placements were ridiculously random. Season 3 is when they forced everyone into what they felt was their "true" SR range minus several hundred points so that they could feel good by rising through the ladder.
02/19/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Sutekh77
It is important to note that the OP is playing on a PS4, where alternates/smurfs are a huge problem, more than on the other platforms due to how easy it is to create a new account. This happens on Xbox, too, but to a lesser degree, as it is a little harder to create an alternate account.

Leaving is a massive issue on consoles, far more than throwing, and these garbage accounts are a significant contributor to that.

Actually, season 2 was the least accurate season on record. Something absurd like 90% of the player base was placed in Gold, so placements were anything but accurate and games after placements were ridiculously random. Season 3 is when they forced everyone into what they felt was their "true" SR range minus several hundred points so that they could feel good by rising through the ladder.

Thanks for pointing that out. I dunno about S2, pretty much everyone at high elo i know is first checking S2 rank of the players. Of course that many players could
improve a lot, but S2 rank of the players always reflected the performance afterwards by far the best
for me, but just my experience.

S3 was still great in terms of matchmaking and SRs ratings, imo everything started to fall like a house of cards since S4 and never really recovered.
All you people complaining about elo hell, I can't wait until you hit the real world and complain about salary hell. "Oh I should be making more money but it's everyone else's fault so I'll just sit and cry about it".
02/19/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Stunlaw
All you people complaining about elo hell, I can't wait until you hit the real world and complain about salary hell. "Oh I should be making more money but it's everyone else's fault so I'll just sit and cry about it".

No, iam just disscussing, i played 8 hours totally of last 3 seasons, i have enough of golden guns and 2 top 500 sprays and there is nothing else left to motivate me. And playing just because its comp through all the issues isnt worth it anymore for me. Losing makes me more angry then winning makes my happy nowadays.

So yeah, iam just disussing issues of competitive and iam not whining that i cant get some rank. Because i dont want any rank.

Iam even for hard reset, which would cost me around 400+ SR for sure, but it would be nice refreshment of comp mode.
On ps4, it's caused by throwers.
02/19/2018 02:49 PMPosted by FluffyDango
On ps4, it's caused by throwers.

It is better know, but it was like that for one year, no report system and they feared nothing. It was a thrower party sometimes and you couldnt do anything then just watch..
02/19/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Ares
Without smurfs elo hell would really be just a mind thing.

yes

nevermind that old accounts are made to carry newer accounts and that a great deal of the hit or miss quality of matchmaking can be attributed to the assumption that more game time = more experienced and less game time = less experienced
As it is being talked about more and more it seems to becoming more and more common to run into them every where, personally Blizzard need to stop beating around the bush and automatically shunt all smurfs so they only play against each other and in some sort of independent competition.