Elo Hell is purely caused by smurfs

General Discussion
All the more reason for soft resets each season like S2 had, the best season. Its comical that its just a grind, no other comp system that im aware of works like this one. It would reset boosters, those that climbed with broken rep chars and potentially hamper smurfs (definitely not all though) but most importantly give everyone a fair chance to improve themselves or prove their worth (for those under complaints of being boosted). SMurfs became a thing the moment people realised that if they tried on a fresh account they would likely get better stats because they arent being held back by bad plays from launch. Except that spread into the morons that like to troll and then claim if youre good, youll climb all whilst sitting 1k lower to mess with you.
02/20/2018 03:19 AMPosted by Mango
All the more reason for soft resets each season like S2 had, the best season. Its comical that its just a grind, no other comp system that im aware of works like this one. It would reset boosters, those that climbed with broken rep chars and potentially hamper smurfs (definitely not all though) but most importantly give everyone a fair chance to improve themselves or prove their worth (for those under complaints of being boosted). SMurfs became a thing the moment people realised that if they tried on a fresh account they would likely get better stats because they arent being held back by bad plays from launch. Except that spread into the morons that like to troll and then claim if youre good, youll climb all whilst sitting 1k lower to mess with you.

Yeah, soft reset is also an option, like almost half of my friend list play placements just last week of the season to get the same rank again and again, well i did it aswell last 3 seasons.

Needs some changes, some motivation, its way too stale and has way too many issues.
Doesn't help that the game is always on offer. Please don't turn into CSGO where the game is dirt cheap and people have like 10 accounts.
but maybe its possible that the smurfs are actually

THE TOADS FROM MARIO ODYSSEY, YA GOTTA BELIEVE IT THAT'S WHY THEY COME IN MASS NUMBERS AND ARE ANNOYING AS HELL PLEASE SAVE ME FROM THE FBI THEY TOOK MY TIN FOIL HATS
you forget that it's also caused by one tricks who pick a third DPS even though we really need a tank/healer.
Yeah, Masters' players are really shafted by the system. The legit ones can barely hold onto Masters' because it's a smurf tier- smurfs usually calibrate there and ruin it.
Without smurfs elo hell would really be just a mind thing. And if you played every game with all 12 players on their main account, you would averagely climb if you deserved better rank.

Season 2 was great example, everyone was at their rank they deserved mostly. It was the most accurate season by far, because smurfs used to be still rare back then. I had alt account back then and i climbed to 3800 (my average rank) pretty much insantly.

Now its not longer like this. There are smurfs everywhere especially on consoles.
At first I was ready to downvote because I expected you to blame them for throwing or the other standard rants.

However, I do agree that the increase of smurfs has made the rankings less accurate. I do not agree that they're the sole cause of 'elo hell' and that elo hell is instead the rank where most players cannot climb out of - mostly because they have found their skill level.

Smurfs make the idea of elo hell less accurate but they still don't change the fact that everyone has a skill cap and that most people think they are better than they really are.
I don't think ELO hell exists. I know plenty of people who have played 80+ hours this season and they're still around the same rank.

You probably just belong where you are if you can't climb out.
i had an idea, what if they adjusted SR to be influenced by your skill level across all roles of the game? This way people couldn't climb in SR without being well rounded (dps, tank, support...etc.) Then, since people should already be changing their heroes around in order to rank up, less people would feel the need to create alternate accounts to "practice other heroes".

just a thought

also, i have a 2nd account for DPS, and in the past i've felt that I've posed an unfair advantage in situations where I end up playing my main roles opposed to dps. so i agree with the OP
02/20/2018 08:42 AMPosted by Restless
Doesn't help that the game is always on offer. Please don't turn into CSGO where the game is dirt cheap and people have like 10 accounts.

Hey, now. CSGO is a much, much, more carefully designed game. It's actually possible to carry your teammates in that one.
02/19/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Stunlaw
All you people complaining about elo hell, I can't wait until you hit the real world and complain about salary hell. "Oh I should be making more money but it's everyone else's fault so I'll just sit and cry about it".

Is it the norm for CEO, bosses, managers to intentionally assume several identities to work under own business/team as interns to sabotage it through sand sandbagging?

Certainly there are strong cases "salary elo" exist such as billion dollar companies who profit dont' pay taxes or use tax heavens. They can get away with things that normal people would be arrested for.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2016/03/07/27-giant-profitable-companies-paid-no-taxes/81399094/

Here's recent business that closed shop, but robbed their own workers of salary and thousands of dollars of prepaid membership.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/a-perfect-day-spa-fremont?frvs=True&osq=perfect+day+spa

However there thousands of youtube videos showing people smurfing and under performing specifically to grief others for fun. Or "Training" videos of high rank players climbing up from bronze to +masters. Some streamer/youtuber makes a living promoting their channels that way.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=smurfing+in+overwatch

There are thousands of other post on forum showing smurfing exist or people admitting to it. I guess the point would be how much can a person attribute to smurfing/throwers/elo vs their own skill level or mistake.
02/19/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Ares
But i guess there is nothing Blizz can do against it.

They could do something similar to what CS:GO did with their Prime system.

Accounts linked to a verified phone number (could be done through their verification app they already have out) would be placed in their own queue.

Since 90% of people only have 1 personal phone, those with multiple accounts would have to choose their "main" to verify, and all of the alts would only be able to play in the "non-verified" queue, lumping all smurfs and cheaters together while everyone on their mains get to play against others with verified mains.

Obviously there's ways around this, but it's much more of a pain to do than just creating a new gmail account.

Edit: Forgot to mention, in this system, if you wanted to hop onto a smurf with your friend while they play on their main, that'd be fine. Verified and Non-Verified players could queue up just like normal, you'd just have to go into the Non-Verified queue together.
There is already a considerable amount of information they hold to identify players.
I doubt that.
Honestly I played this game for a year and only just broke my career high in gold. I have been consistently told I can carry a whole team in this game. And that it is my fault for being bad for getting stuck in silver.

I have played in silver for way too many season and know for a fact that I should be higher. At the very least low gold. But even then I will get placement matches and people who don’t pic appropriate characters
OW is far from Counter Strike but back when i played it they tied accounts yo a phone number(cuz most dont want to get a new phone number to get a new acct) why cant bliz simply do the same thing, heck everyone has a authenticater already they could tie there accts to a phone number and ip. So when u r xxxxSR on one acct that is linked with others...no would noy be perfect but would eliminate a LOT of smurfs they would have no real reason to do it. This i think would be a simple fix. I know a few smurfs and they play well for a few games get ranked up then start throwing without looking like there throwing...and derank so they keep there alt acct in gold plat or what ever so they can play with there lower friends. So the comebts about a smurf will be moved to there correcr skill sr is bs cuz most just abuse it in this way so no smurfs dont just get weeded out. Sadly smurfs r ruining this game for many. (I find them a chalange to fight to "test my metal" as it is when i fight one. I know i will lose but i learn things from wach loss)