[Playable] Hanzo Ability Proof of Concept

PTR Feedback
I love the leap ability idea, but I'm not sure on the rapid fire.

I put together a working concept of an ability that I think would make Hanzo less annoying as a teammate at low levels, and make for some very interesting gameplay at high and pro levels, while reinforcing his character as a master marksman. I'd really appreciate it if you could consider this as a new ability for Hanzo:

Basics:
  • Single target, 0.5 cast time
  • During cast; arrow charge is reset, firing disabled, enemy is alerted

Cooldown TBD, probably same as Scatter

• 3 second buff
  • Predictive arrow and sniper vision against target

• 3 second self-debuff
  • Hanzo cannot headshot and gains heavy recoil with each shot

• Predictive Arrows
  • When fired, Hanzo predicts where the target would be if the target continued their current trajectory given the flight time of the arrow.
    The arrows then 'home in' on that static point, rather than on the target itself.

• Charge-based movement
  • Low-power arrows curve through the air to meet that point but embed in surfaces they hit

Shots move straighter the more they're charged but in return gain additional bounces which have slight course correction on surfaces that are angled near-correctly

Proof of concept

I made a working proof-of-concept of the ability in unreal which you can see working on this video, including a link to a browser-based version if you want to try it yourself

https://youtu.be/kDhSm1leX38

http://www.puppetsquid.com/unreal/HTML5/Hanzo/

(note: you guys could code this way better than I could)
    this is the opposite of what you want a sniper to be, i wouldn't want to play a version of hanzo like that
    First of all, kudos for actually rigging together a concept for the ability. It's impressive, and much farther than people usually go when they have ideas.

From a lore perspective, we've seen Hanzo do exactly this in the Dragons short. He fires a curving arrow around terrain to shoot at Genji from an unexpected angle. While I love the idea of Volley, the one thing I'll miss is Hanzo's unique ability to hit enemies who are behind cover.

From a balance perspective, this would be a difficult ability to create. Finding that perfect balance of feeling good for the Hanzo player and not feeling like a cheap auto-aim ability for Hanzo's opponents would take some real work, and countless people would complain about it regardless. Perhaps make it so that instead of a targeted mark, you can hold a key and have the arrow follow your crosshair? This would achieve the same effect, but would still require Hanzo to at least track his target, rather than fire arrows in their general direction and have them find their mark.

Overall, it's not a bad concept. It fits Hanzo's character, and it solves his issues of consistency. +1 I'd really like to get my hands on Volley and see if it actually helps Hanzo, but this could be another direction they could choose to take him in.
    02/16/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Gaze
    Overall, it's not a bad concept. It fits Hanzo's character, and it solves his issues of consistency. +1 I'd really like to get my hands on Volley and see if it actually helps Hanzo, but this could be another direction they could choose to take him in.

Thanks Gaze!

I figured the ability sounds OPAF, but once you play with it you realize how fun it can be but also the nuances that make it not just 'click to win', so putting it up online seemed like a good idea.

Hanzo being able to hit things behind cover is a big part of this for me. The whole 'simple geometry' and 'my arrow finds its mark' always make me chuckle when he just spams and area with scatter. I'd love to see him be the master marksman he claims to be, but volley doesn't quite fit that idea for me either.

To my mind, the arrow's arc has to be set from the moment you release the shot - if it homes (or if the arc is affected by your aim) then the arrow's going to swoop and turn as if it was computer guided. A clean arc to a set point means that it's a normal arrow; Hanzo did all the work. It also means the arrow will miss if you fire poorly, or if the enemy evades well, meaning the outcome is more based on skill.

Plus, having to track the target makes ricocheting almost impossible due to how fast the arrow is moving.

Maybe having the target being tracked while the mark is being applied might work? I dunno, homing arrows is just something I would really want to avoid.

Increasing the cast time on the ability would also give the target even more of a heads up (it doesn't come across in the demo, but I imagine the target gets a visual and audio warning the moment the mark is applied, while Hanzo has at least half a second of wind up even before he can start charging his shots), which might make it fairer, but this also renders Hanzo defenseless for the cast time and reduces the ability's effectiveness for catching targets off guard.

02/16/2018 10:18 AMPosted by Dexrazor
    this is the opposite of what you want a sniper to be, i wouldn't want to play a version of hanzo like that

Fair enough, but I don't get why it's the opposite? Surely a sniper should be an expert marksman, and as players we should be given the chance to feel as such?
    Update:

I realized this ability needed recoil to help balance it and make it feel more like Hanzo's doing the work, so I added that to the game and changed the hit sound to be easier to hear (so you'll know when you miss).
    02/18/2018 03:25 AMPosted by puppetsquid
    Fair enough, but I don't get why it's the opposite? Surely a sniper should be an expert marksman, and as players we should be given the chance to feel as such?

Anything auto aim (excluding console settings) on a sniper-like character in a competitive fps game is a big no-no. Sure you could feel like a marksman but you're essentially doing very little of the work for an auto aim skill. That would cause more hate than scatter probably.
    I actually really like it. But you will have to nerf the damage on those arrows. What is going to happen is that he will use it to get free kills. So maybe make it not be able to headshot. This way the arrows only ever do body shots, but a body shot from Hanzo hurts. At low levels you will actually ahve a reason to spam low charge shots with hanzo. Tag someone then spam some much needed pressure their way. yeah the damage is nothing special with a low charge shot, but it's actually fairly significant when most of the shots are going. to land because of the predictive shots.