Why is Role Select Not a Thing

General Discussion
I'm sorry after getting on to play this game and my FIRST two games I play (In MID DIAMOND) I get 5 dps and I plea with them to try and build a better team comp. Nobody switches and I lose 60 SR from this. I hate quick play but I'm not sure I can continue playing Comp. Literally about to uninstall this garbage.
Having a role select would force a meta.
Then go.

Role select is bad, will force only a 2-2-2 meta, and guess what? Sym is still a "support", Hog is still a "tank". Whaif all your "dps" pick sniper?

It would do jack and undermine the whole "change to counter" idea they game launched with.

Maybe real balance with the over used all rounder classes getting real counters. The game would be healthier if every hero had to fear someone
Because it contradicts the game's core mechanic.
Been talked about hundreds of times, the answer is that it goes against the spirit of the game
Making sure there is someone who want to play support and tank in the game isn't in forcing a meta. People would still be able to pick and choose their comps.

It's just that role select would bring people together to make more balanced teams. And stop these super unbalanced, super unfunny games we currently have.
02/17/2018 04:26 PMPosted by RoxkisZero
Making sure there is someone who want to play support and tank in the game isn't in forcing a meta. People would still be able to pick and choose their comps.

It's just that role select would bring people together to make more balanced teams. And stop these super unbalanced, super unfunny games we currently have.
Triple Tank, Quad Tank, Triple Support, Triple DPS would never exist with a forced 2-2-2. Plus as stated before, Symmetra is a support. What If your DPS is Torb and Widow?
02/17/2018 04:30 PMPosted by YoyoCaleb

Triple Tank, Quad Tank, Triple Support, Triple DPS would never exist with a forced 2-2-2. Plus as stated before, Symmetra is a support. What If your DPS is Torb and Widow?

So healers can't flex? Op is suggesting a role queue, not a hero queue.
Rein/Zarya/McCree/Junkrat/Ana/Lucio (2T/2D/2S)

Rein/Zarya/Roadhog/Tracer/Moira/Ana (3T/1D/2S)

Rein/Zarya/Roadhog/D.Va/Moira/Lucio (4T/0D/2S)

Winston/Genji/Tracer/Pharah/Mercy/Zenyatta (1T/3D/2S)

Orisa/Roadhog/Genji/Zenyatta/Ana/Lucio (2T/1D/3S)

Orisa/Roadhog/Soldier/Tracer/Genji/Mercy (2T/3D/1S)

D.Va/Winston/Tracer/Genji/Sombra/Zenyatta (2T/3D/1S) Sombra used as support

These are all not only viable, but have been meta comps. I've seen all these comps or something close in pro games. Role select destroys all but 1.

You are getting downvoted but I think this is the one and only type of role system that could be helpful. If people picked their preference and the system made sure there was at least 1 of each role in every team, but assigned nothing... it could be helpful. At least you wouldn't get a team of 6 support mains anymore.
02/17/2018 04:40 PMPosted by Buttercult

You are getting downvoted but I think this is the one and only type of role system that could be helpful. If people picked their preference and the system made sure there was at least 1 of each role in every team, but assigned nothing... it could be helpful. At least you wouldn't get a team of 6 support mains anymore.

Exactly! Having some who is at least willing to play tank or support would really boost the quality of matches.
because they don't want to force a meta... which they do by banning everyone who plays a hero who isn't meta... it's very complicated
The wait times would be hilariously long.

Probably 10% of the players play healer or Tank.
Which means Your wait time would go from 10 - 30 seconds, to 10 - 30 minutes.
Everyone touched on how it kills innovation.

• I'll talk about how it kills queue times.

• HAVE YOU EVER EVEN MET A TANK MAIN IN GAME!? I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE! ONLY PEOPLE WHO FILL OUT OF CIRCUMSTANCE/NEED! DPS mains? Plenty of em, I'm one of em and I hate everyone else who happens to be one as we're in direct competition for a spot and I'm using the most niche hero. Support mains? They're dropping in number...but they're there. NO Tank mains though. Not a single one.

Everyone would queue up for DPS (INCLUDING MYSELF!) and it'd take YEARS for someone to get a game. I believe WoW had a similar issue. More importantly, if it doesn't lock people into their role....why even BOTHER having it!? If I could queue under support and get a faster game...I'd probably do that if I wanted to play quickly. Even if you didn't Queue for DPS...you'd eventually grow bored. Unless you're a one trick, you most likely wont like throwing all your eggs in literally one basket. All of the fun characters are hard to access with a Role Queue because you're in competition to get it with 90% of the people who play this damn game. I became a DPS main because quite frankly, only playing Supports burned me out. Turns out as a DPS main you can play whatever the HELL you please. They don't HOLD you to that role.

(Rants over, Role queue is dumb.)
    02/17/2018 04:49 PMPosted by Shadow
    The wait times would be hilariously long.

Probably 10% of the players play healer or Tank.
    Which means Your wait time would go from 10 - 30 seconds, to 10 - 30 minutes.

It's more like 40% of players play healer or tank.

The problem wouldn't be the wait times, the problem would be DPS players getting longer queue times because of supply and demand, and so DPS players starts queueing as Tank/Support to get lower queue times and then pick DPS anyway.

02/17/2018 04:53 PMPosted by Honchkrow
    HAVE YOU EVER EVEN MET A TANK MAIN IN GAME!? I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE!

Hello!
    I have three problems with forcing a one-tank plus one-support role select:

1) It can still super easily produce a losing comp. If you only have one tank and it's Zarya, or if you only have one support and it's Symmetra or Zen, your team will have a bad time against another team that's running a more robust comp.

2) I fear it will give rise to a defacto solo-tank solo-support "meta", in that the person who volunteers to be tank or healer will be forced onto a main tank or healer--whether by team pressure, or by the grim reality that nobody's going to help them so they're stuck with the 2-3 heroes in each category who can reasonably carry the team. I also worry they'll be forced to be the only tank or healer on their team. "I didn't choose the tank role, so no, I'm not going to run a second tank", etc. Solo tanking or solo healing with an uncoordinated team can be rough, especially if the DPS aren't choosing wisely within those constraints, and it will make the tank/healer role even less appealing than it already is.

3) This majorly cramps dynamic hero switching, particularly if the tank or healer would like to switch with an underperforming DPS, or if they need to grab a fast hero to stall a point.
    You do realize with role select you propose you would get the same, as everyone would probably want to be DPS

Plus the match can change with people switching on both sides.
    02/17/2018 04:54 PMPosted by Splenectomy
    Hello!

In game...I can name a TON of tank mains on these forums but I've never seen one in game. I've been playing since season 3...(Where I arguably should have seen some actual tank mains. I was freaking Plat during triple tank.) Literally some of the most popular people on these forums are support/tank mains.
    02/17/2018 04:12 PMPosted by YoyoCaleb
    Having a role select would force a meta.

Having classes already forces a meta. Allowing people to enter their class preference would only help the matchmaking system create a more balanced teams.

The real reason some people don’t want a role select system is it would mean longer q times for DPS, since more people want to play DPS than are needed.