Moira DPS and no Heal?

Competitive Discussion
The past couple of days, and just a few minutes ago, I've played in a few games where Moria has been the only healer. I played Symmetra (please no hate), and most often the team won't chose a third support with an actual healing ability. In that case, one would think that Moira would heal. I've been in two games where the exact scenario played out and she didn't heal.

Case 1) I asked in chat after we took our first defense point if anyone was receiving heals. The Moira player exclaimed "am I solo healing again? I hate that." At the end of the game, our Moira got player of the game and in the clip, I'm right next to her dying while she is DPSing. It's like she wanted to do all of the killing and leave everyone else to fend for themselves.

Case 2) I just played this match, and again I played Symmetra. Moira was our only healer. I was getting blamed for not doing anything by are Zarya. On the first Point Control map, we were doing good, but I noticed I wasn't getting healed, even though I was on point and defending the best I could. The tank even put a barrier on me I was so low of health. I was low at the end of a defense and all enemies were gone. I wound up searching for a health pack. We lost that match.

On the second map, I had killed soldier and dropped down behind the point to set up turrets and such, and I latched on to Trader (got lucky with that kill), and naturally other enemies caught on. I almost killed Lucio before D'Va came in with a blaze. I got killed, but in my kill recap, Moira just happened to be behind me. I didn't receive any heals.

Our tank blamed me, naturally.

My question, Has anyone came across this situation where a player picks Moira to DPS but doesn't tell the team that's all she wants to do?

Mind you, I main Mercy too, and I've noticed in some of my games that I don't see Moira heal a lot as I do in other games. It's a weird situation.
I like to play moira as dps to becaus she has good range and is pretty strong but i always make sure to heal people when its possible but if im doing my best to kill somebody i might not heal a teammate while im doing it becaus i think it would be better to kill the enemy rather then to heal somebody.
On my main account I’ve played Moira for a little over 70 hours and I’m currently in mid masters.

My average stats per 10 minutes are: 10.9k healing and 4.4k hero damage (well over 5k total damage).

I heal more than double what I damage.
This ratio I feel is borderline too little on damage, I do often run out of resources and have to use heal orbs or even pop my ult just to fill in the gap of healing.

Moira is designed to play a role in DPS, but this is largely to manage resources and deal with flankers.
If I see a Ganji, Lucio, Zen, Mercy, Ana I’m taking them, they’re MY free kills.
Even hog and dva can be good targets for Moira, you won’t kill them but you can farm them quite safely (most of the time).

A long story short, Moira MUST do some DPS, otherwise she will run out of heals, BUT your primary role is to heal, not damage.
Whenever I play Moira I always prioritize healing but when everyone is good or my other healer is taking care of it I’ll go for damage to regen my healing gauge and maybe even go for the pick on Genji and such.
so what you're saying is, that you and 4 other people had the option of going a healer and instead all of you are blaming each other for mistakes that regardless if moira was healing, would have lost anyway due to the toxicity of your games instead of swapping and fixing the problem?

sounds like a normal game of overwatch to me.
Yup, I've had this myself. I was Orisa and I got zero healing from our Moira until point fell. She was up front dpsing like a boss, and then got picked. I think they changed to a tank and someone else healed...

I fell into this trap as well to be honest. Just so tempting to send purple orbs out.

But I now stay at back and prioritise heals and I am actually doing better. Managed circa 8k healing on Numbani attack (QP only) so not too shabby IMO, especially as team quite spread out, etc.

Best ever Moira I ever played with was on Li Jiang. I was happy with 12.4k heals with my Lucio over 3 rounds. Then saw that our Moira had 5 golds...
02/19/2018 08:12 AMPosted by HawX
so what you're saying is, that you and 4 other people had the option of going a healer and instead all of you are blaming each other for mistakes that regardless if moira was healing, would have lost anyway due to the toxicity of your games instead of swapping and fixing the problem?

In case 1, I did swap to Mercy. We got chocked and I couldn't out heal all of the damage being taken. Hence, we had "one" healer and i was even healing Moira. With the swap, we still didn't get the point back...

This is just something that I've noticed. I'm not trolling.
02/19/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Landagne
02/19/2018 08:12 AMPosted by HawX

In case 1, I did swap to Mercy. We got chocked and I couldn't out heal all of the damage being taken. Hence, we had "one" healer and i was even healing Moira. With the swap, we still didn't get the point back...

This is just something that I've noticed. I'm not trolling.

I didn't say you were the only potential issue. Your other 4 team mates got tilted already because you had picked sym THEN swapped. Sure, Moira didn't heal - but the games already lost when 4 other people are tilting their balls off.
It's far more likely people were sulking because of your hero pick but healers prioritising dps instead of healing is not new and since Moira is very capable with little aim required it's even worse so many brag about gold elims while everyone is dying around them.

This behaviour is not limited to supports though how many Dvas do you see refusing to defense matrix anyone but themselves or Zarya at high charge not saving bubbles for hooks and pulsebomb etc.
Moria should not be used as a dps. She does little dps and her healing is incredible. She can 1v1 some heroes but good players can still 1v1 her pretty ez. As moria you should be using heal orb 90% of the time dps orb 10%. You do more healing than dps this way, generate your ult faster, and save heal charge on left click for when you really need it. No excuse to play dps moria unless you are throwing.
Moira is a very sufficient and bursty healer, but from what I'm hearing it sounds like Moira is always solo healing. This should never be the case because if Moira's orbs are on cooldown and she's ran out of healing then it can be real hard to get any healing back or done especially if the enemy team is staying out of her line of sight or if the enemy team has lot of barriers.
Moira need to be rework, so broken due to those damage orbs, and long range beam she not a DPS alright Blizzard. She is a support healer why give her long damage beam, when she can have a long healing beam would be so much better to able to reach tanks far places without heals like dive Winston, or a Charge Rein going too far I like my idea better.
The damage orbs are not good lol. It is very easy to duel a moria and the dmg orbs are very avoidable. The good morias use healing orbs because they have way more of an impact to the team and keep her from losing too much heal charge. A dps moria is just a way less effective dps that is all.
The issue probably is that people climbed as a dps moira and when you put them on solo heal they cant preform the way they have been.. I've also been in that position where it was either heal a team mate or finish off the enemy infront of both of us, sometimes felt like my team mate wasnt aiming good enough to support sucking all my heal power out vs knowing i can finish the enemy off - then that depends who has the shorter run - my team mate or the enemy (offfense vs defense).

Solo healing moira does suck though, cause like someone said if theres a genji, tracer, pharah, mercy whatever and no ones switching to counter - moira can counter them or pick off healers easily, so two healers is best especially a mercy so the moira can flank more but yeah no one wants to support so they hope for a solo healing moira who needs you to be close to her and stack up for maximum effect but most people dont group up or stay in range of moiras heals.

and food for thought, before you hit 3k rating you lose/win SR based on your performance, where the performance youre being compared to is the "average moira at your SR rank", so if they're getting good performance vs a moira average at their SR, they'll win more SR on a win and lose less on a loss, so if they go full healer most likely they wont be out preforming the "average moira at that SR rank" and thus lose more if the team does lose. So then you ask yourself - preform how you have been - above the average moira at your rank - so you lose less or solo heal 100% and lose a lot more if you lose. and lettuce be real tea - most moiras are doing more dps than healing and most dont want to solo heal - so if youre a solo healing moira that only heals youre going to most likely be BELOW the average performance of a moira at your SR and end up losing big cause the system says you played bad for a moira at that rank.

most of the time i say hey team i cant solo heal a whole team, you guys probably wont group up and i have to also counter the genji or pharah that no hitscan can seem to kill, so lets get a second healer. if no one wants to switch then it usually takes one round of losing before someone decides to second heal and we win.
As someone who knows what gold-master are like, don't expect Moira's to be good until low diamond. Because they know that no one can aim at them so they can do more dmg than the dps on their team. Also don't expect them to heal at all if they don't play any other support because obviously they don't know how supports work, they are likely a dps player who thinks Moira is easy and they can carry on her by getting kills rather than heal.

I've done placements on my smurf last week and I got to say, even the one trick Moira's are pretty bad, likely because like I said, they aren't support players at heart, they are dps players maybe off tank players who decided to buy a 2nd account and climb with what they believe is an "op" hero.

Also keep in mind that Moira solo healer playstyle is very different from Moira+another healer. Moira solo healing is basically a Mercy that does dmg only to recharge heals. A moira + another support is kind of like a zen with higher heals. If a Moira is used to that 2support playstyle and doesn't know to play as a solo healer she will fail miserably at solo healing.
I don't want to blame all moria's but sometimes there will be situation where there is a moria and i'm zen. I'll notice that most of my mates seem to all be crying out for heals so I'll then frantically try and figure out if its my fault or not.

In the end I switched to lucio because of the many people that needs heal at one time. (i'm sick of playing mercy...)

I don't know if its really cause of moria or its cause I just refuse to increase my hours on mercy....
It's awfully tempting to DPS as Moira, but as a rule of thumb her healing is doubly effective as her damage.

On my alt (can't believe to state this!) it's not unusual for me to pull in over 20k of healing in a game.

Edit: That said, it's DPS that sometimes Auto cry about DPS Moira. Every game I have to remind that Moira is a short range healer.
I play Moira at times but it is incredibly difficult to solo heal as Moira. It is so much easier with a second healer. So next time you see a solo Moira healer think about adding another healer.
My main is currently a top 1% Moira and climbing...... My aim next season is top 500 Moiras.

A good Moira is capable of solo healing, and definitely goes well with a zen. I regularly do over 20k healing per game. However it does require some help for the team. To do so Moira needs to be able to deal damage, which means fights need to be engaged and not a poke fest. Most of the times i have had trouble healing, were teams that didn't engage properly. If we get a good engage,

Basically the teams need to be on top of each other so Moira can use her fantastic mobility, and damage to keep the entire team up.

Do that and I'll never run out of healing.
02/19/2018 07:38 AMPosted by Landagne
and again I played Symmetra

found yer problem, i think. we're all tired of symm including me and lots of ppl are gonna throw when theres a symm on their team

learn to play a real hero. learn to aim. SOMEthing. anything besides symm.