I went from Plat to Master this season

Competitive Discussion
SoloQ hitscans DPS (rarely support/tank)

Literally all I had to do is to gid gud
I mean i'm still bad, but at least not as bad as before

so what's up with all these people crying on the forums, that their SR is wrong, how their teammates are bringing them down, too many trolls, throwers etc?

It took me around 1 week to go from 2700ish to 3.5k, but it wouldn't be fair to leave it at that, because there is more to that, a lot of hours on ana bots, ffa, widow hs only FFA, aim hero, watching pro players and playing on my second account

bear in mind, i've never taken comp seriously, played OW only for events, bearly played comp cuz of fear of losing SR, but once i started grinding, stopped tilting and let my emotions take over, i climbed rapidly, even if like 4-5 guys insta locked DPS and i was sure some of them wont swap, I bite the bullet and go tank/support, and most of these games i've won..

Sure I've played tf2 for like 2k hours and I've reached GE in csgo, even a little bit of quake but that doesn't matter because i was an actual trash at hitscans (very long break and too much WoW), my stats were awful before I started to practice

(38% scoped accuracy, 33% accuracy on mccree)

And to all of you who keep crying about elo hell

git gud

EDIT: can't tell why so many dislikes? is it cuz of "git gud"?

git gud
i agree with most of what you said but i think you were always a masters of above player since you hit top rank in cs and have thousands of hours in video games. its harder for people like me since its my first fps ever but git gud is the correct saying. i dont understand how people keep complaining about the sytem and teamates at silver border in gold and under. its just sad people dont improve. congrats on masters
tf2 for the win!
02/19/2018 12:45 PMPosted by MrMango

so what's up with all these people crying on the forums, that their SR is wrong, how their teammates are bringing them down, too many trolls, throwers etc?

It took me around 1 week to go from 2700ish to 3.5k, but it wouldn't be fair to leave it at that, because there is more to that, a lot of hours on ana bots, ffa, widow hs only FFA, aim hero, watching pro players and playing on my second account

bear in mind, i've never taken comp seriously, played OW only for events, bearly played comp cuz of fear of losing SR, but once i started grinding, stopped tilting and let my emotions take over, i climbed rapidly, even if like 4-5 guys insta locked DPS and i was sure some of them wont swap, I bite the bullet and go tank/support, and most of these games i've won..

Sure I've played tf2 for like 2k hours and I've reached GE in csgo, even a little bit of quake but that doesn't matter because i was an actual trash at hitscans (too much wow, before I started to practice.

git gud

Most of the people complaining usually fill the Tank/Support role, which isn’t easy to carry a team. I used to be in plat a year ago but began maining tank, filling support when needed and dropped to low silver.

This weekend I decided to autolock Reaper and have already gained almost 400 SR ( I’m expecting to hit gold tomorrow). Silver DPS players are atrocious.

So in respect to the players that tank/support, I agree with them, it’s not easy to just “GIT GUD” and carry their team to victory if nothing is dying.

To the DPS mains I get on my team going forward. Sorry, but I’m going to continue locking in DPS, unless I do poorly, than I have no issue switching off.
02/19/2018 12:51 PMPosted by Topher
i agree with most of what you said but i think you were always a masters of above player since you hit top rank in cs and have thousands of hours in video games. its harder for people like me since its my first fps ever but git gud is the correct saying. i dont understand how people keep complaining about the sytem and teamates at silver border in gold and under. its just sad people dont improve. congrats on masters

I can't really tell if tf2 and cs had any affect, since it has been quite some time ago, TF2 2011-2013/14, and CS 2013-2015, because I truly were bad at hit scan heroes before I started to practice, i mean.. I was practicing 2-3h throughout the day on bots alone. I felt like it wouldn't be fair to not mention my previous experience, but I also don't think it has affected me that much

I had 38% scoped accuracy before and now i'm at 50%+.. my accuracy on mccree went from 33% to 50%, noone of that would happen if i didn't focus on improving my mechanical skills, as for other aspects i still have a lot to learn.. Because I was in plat for so long and I ranked up so fast, I still have problems with game sense. I'm trying to do things that would work in plat, which i'm getting punished for in diamond+

also big part of climbing for me was tilt management, it would be so bad before, at the start of the season I was placed at 2.8 but immediately dropped down to 2.3ish within 4 hours after placements, part of it was due to long break from OW, and mostly because I was playing while tilted..

It's only harder for you because you have convinced yourself it's harder. You seemed to miss the fact that they said they put lots of hours into aim drills to improve their skill. Yes they have experience in other games but the only experience that translates over from game to game is their knowledge on how to improve and practice because each game behaves differently.

You have every bit of potential to reach Masters as they did as long as you put in the practice. I have been practicing like the OP and I climbed from Bronze. I am sure I could get to Masters of I continue to apply myself.

I encourage you to do the same.
02/19/2018 01:02 PMPosted by Pokadotdurr

It's only harder for you because you have convinced yourself it's harder. You seemed to miss the fact that they said they put lots of hours into aim drills to improve their skill. Yes they have experience in other games but the only experience that translates over from game to game is their knowledge on how to improve and practice because each game behaves differently.

You have every bit of potential to reach Masters as they did as long as you put in the practice. I have been practicing like the OP and I climbed from Bronze. I am sure I could get to Masters of I continue to apply myself.

I encourage you to do the same.
ya i climbed from bronze to diamond on my main and im 2 games from diamond on my dps smurf. in the back of my head i always have the voice teling me i have way less experiance than other people but ive been practicing and such to get better
02/19/2018 01:00 PMPosted by LX2

Sure I've played tf2 for like 2k hours and I've reached GE in csgo, even a little bit of quake but that doesn't matter because i was an actual trash at hitscans (too much wow, before I started to practice.

git gud

Most of the people complaining usually fill the Tank/Support role, which isn’t easy to carry a team. I used to be in plat a year ago but began maining tank, filling support when needed and dropped to low silver.

This weekend I decided to autolock Reaper and have already gained almost 400 SR ( I’m expecting to hit gold tomorrow). Silver DPS players are atrocious.

So in respect to the players that tank/support, I agree with them, it’s not easy to just “GIT GUD” and carry their team to victory if nothing is dying.

To the DPS mains I get on my team going forward. Sorry, but I’m going to continue locking in DPS, unless I do poorly, than I have no issue switching off.

TBH i don't think that's entirely true, as support/tank main you have to carry your them the different way..

for tank it's the leadership and establishing your presence in a fight for support it's staying alive and good target prioritization

I'm not support player, that's why whenever I have to, I just pick mercy, but I feel like me staying alive contributes a lot.. whenever other team also runs mercy I just outlive her and that's huge advantage for our team.. almost every mercy I've ran across in plat-dia was ressing in the open which almost always means death for her..
This. Who wants to improve will improve. MM is unfair but its unfair for everyone.
I tend to agree with the post about those filling tank/support complaining more. I've seen other players suddenly climb much faster when they start insta locking DPS and playing the role reasonably well. On the other hand they could do support/tank reasonably well too but if DPS aren't getting the picks then there's very little chance of a victory unless the other team is literally bad.

git gud

You can carry as Support and Tank. Stop blaming your DPS. You probably dropped to Silver because you didn’t know how to play Tank and Support roles correctly.
For someone with enough time to put thousands of hours into games, sure. For people who play casually it can be tough. I have kids and work full time, so I'm looking at a couple games per day. When you just feel helpless even though you're over-performing and losing ranks, it discourages you from the mode.

When I play comp, it's like the people are moving in slow motion because I'm playing against much higher level competition in QP and Arcade. But I just can't rank up reliably in Comp. It's irritating.

For example (this isn't bragging, I know I'm high silver/low gold skill level) my last game at rank ~1000. I played Soldier on Defense, then switched to Hog early during the attack. I ended the game with all five gold medals (yes, we had a healer) and 37% of team damage. Team was myself, Ana, Rein, Winston/D'Va, Bastion, Junkrat. We lost. What else can you do?

git gud

There is a difference. I am good at the game as a tank player. I always hit diamond when I go back to tank, but there are just certain things I cannot do. I can carry the team as a tank player, but only to certain point. Two games a go I hard carry the team as Roadhog and was successful. Last game I lost and lost the hardest SR gain I've done. I usually get 30-31 point per game because I do so well with tanks, but that isn't enough to beat the bad DPS. If you are a good DPS then you can easily carry. If a person is a tank it will be harder to carry, but it is possible.

Also I went from 1995 (Drop from 2887 due to huge losing streak that I could not beat as a DPS player) to 2653.
02/19/2018 02:08 PMPosted by GrandReaper

For example (this isn't bragging, I know I'm high silver/low gold skill level) my last game at rank ~1000. I played Soldier on Defense, then switched to Hog early during the attack. I ended the game with all five gold medals (yes, we had a healer) and 37% of team damage. Team was myself, Ana, Rein, Winston/D'Va, Bastion, Junkrat. We lost. What else can you do?

You can't expect to win them all, if you ended game with 5 golds, that means you were unlucky and got matched with really bad players, which is more common on lower ranks. But the same thing can and will happen to your enemy.

We tend to remember better bad things that have happened to us than the good ones

Think of it this way, if you perform just as well with better team mates, there is huge chance that you would end up victorious. System tries to make matches as fair as possible (50:50) so if you are able to skew these odds with good performance of yours, then it's no longer 50:50, is it? more like 55:45, 60:40 etc.

And the thing is, you don't have to carry your team to climb, you can take down one guy from the enemy team die, and still have higher odds of winning that match. and that's thanks to good target prioritization..

hell.. you don't even have to have gold/silver medals

now I'm practicing tracer on my other account i guess i'm not very good at her, that's because i'm not used to her playstyle

I don't always get golden/silver medals, but I'm trying to be annoying as hell.. i climbed from mid plat to diamond in like 2 days, mostly playing as tracer and that's because plat players tend to send more people than necessary after tracer, leaving front line with not enough resources.. even if I don't get golden damage/elims, I'm still able to shift odds in our favor
02/19/2018 01:48 PMPosted by SquidKD

You can carry as Support and Tank. Stop blaming your DPS. You probably dropped to Silver because you didn’t know how to play Tank and Support roles correctly.[/quote

You can carry as Support and Tank. Stop blaming your DPS. You probably dropped to Silver because you didn’t know how to play Tank and Support roles correctly.

And why would I listen to someone that was carried to Masters?
bearly
Try to get from plat to masters by maining tank/supp (other than mercy). It's a whole other story. Challenge accepted ?
GE in CSGO, that’s at least Mater in OW already. You know how to fps quite well.
master is cool and all till you reach mid master and get gms and top 500 treating u as the disabled kid that needs carrying
02/19/2018 02:08 PMPosted by GrandReaper
For someone with enough time to put thousands of hours into games, sure. For people who play casually it can be tough. I have kids and work full time, so I'm looking at a couple games per day. When you just feel helpless even though you're over-performing and losing ranks, it discourages you from the mode.

When I play comp, it's like the people are moving in slow motion because I'm playing against much higher level competition in QP and Arcade. But I just can't rank up reliably in Comp. It's irritating.

You could have gone Moira.

You basically stated your team was solo healing Ana who was clearly not healing much, yet your ego wouldn't let you swap off dps/hog because of your medals.

People can't play Ana in silver. All you had to do was hard carry with Moira.

Tons of my silver friends now are plat because they main Moira now.