"Rendering device lost" - We need help

Technical Support
I know I am off-topic here but hope this is going to reach you while you browsing randomly.
Tons of threads spawning around since months - both on this board and reddit;

We have two sticked threads on Battle NET EU and NA forum, yet no updates;

- Partial list of threads about people getting the "Your rendering device has been lost" crash mid-game: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758376567?page=6#post-115

- Biggest reddit topic about it; https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/7ctw7r/8_months_and_still_your_rendering_device_has_been/

Will it be fixed soon enough?
This is not a hardware-related issue, this is software issue (people, included myself, tried already with no luck with multiple system configurations, with clean W10 installations and with hardware default values) which AMD fixed in their latest driver, saying;

Adraneline driver version is 17.12.1

=Resolved Issues=

OverWatch™ may experience a random or intermittent hang on some system configurations

But NVIDIA didn't.
I've already lost 150SR this season cause of that and surviving on Master elo but scared to play/crash again and get suspended for that.

It should be your highest priority right now.
Let us know something about it, because it's extremely frustrating.

Crash happened again tonight with my new rig running a 1080 Ti and i7 8700k, so buying a whole new PC didn't work.
This has been happening to me since launch. I've tried reinstalling my driver's too. No such luck.
I posted this in another thread, but what worked for me was using 2 independent rails from the PSU to the GPU instead of just one.
This is happening only with Overwatch - every other games out there run smoothly for hours.

Raising the TdrDelay didn't work either;

Registry: Start --> Run --> Type in "Regedit"
Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers" and create a key of type "DWORD (64-bit)" and name "TdrDelay" with a value of 10 as Decimal value.
Reboot and play the game.
In a nutshell it gives the GPU 10 seconds to recover/respond vs. 8 seconds (default).

I even tried this and didn't fix the crashes.
02/19/2018 05:15 PMPosted by Rawwberry
I posted this in another thread, but what worked for me was using 2 independent rails from the PSU to the GPU instead of just one.

Happening with two different systems here, with different GPUs (1080 Ti/980 Ti) / PSUs (HX750 w/ TypeA cables - RX 750).
02/19/2018 05:12 PMPosted by yareyare
Hello Jeff, I know I am off-topic here but hope this is going to reach you while you browsing randomly.

- Partial list of threads about people getting the "Your rendering device has been lost" crash mid-game: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758376567?page=6#post-115

- Biggest reddit topic about it; https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/7ctw7r/8_months_and_still_your_rendering_device_has_been/

This is not a hardware-related issue, this is software issue (people, included myself, tried already with no luck with multiple system configurations, with clean W10 installations and with hardware default values) which AMD fixed in their latest driver, saying;

=Resolved Issues=

OverWatch™ may experience a random or intermittent hang on some system configurations

But NVIDIA didn't.
I've already lost 150SR this season cause of that and surviving on Master elo but scared to play/crash again and get suspended for that.

Crash happened again tonight with my new rig running a 1080 Ti and i7 8700k, so buying a whole new PC didn't work.

I run on 2 x 1080 in SLI with a 6850K i7 and never have gotten that issue.

Pretty sure your problem is hardware related... low end motherboard?
Sounds to me like the issue is with the PSU - considering how rare it is it is the most likely culprit.

Keep in mind even if 100 people had the issue,
OW has 30 million players.
1 / 300,000

Which is not even 0.0001% of the player base.
So "Highest Priority" for such a insignificant portion of the player base?

Unlikely.

Edit:
One way to try it is to lower your graphics settings - that will lower the demand on the PSU and see if you still keep getting the error.
02/19/2018 05:19 PMPosted by yareyare
02/19/2018 05:15 PMPosted by Rawwberry

Happening with two different systems here, with different GPUs (1080 Ti/980 Ti) / PSUs (HX750 w/ TypeA cables - RX 750).
I used to run a GTX 460 with a cheapo Ultra 550W PSU for several years and had no issue. I upgraded the PSU to a Seasonic M12 620W. The instructions said to use a single rail for GPUs that require less than 225W, so I used just one. I started getting this error all the time. I switched to using 2 rails and the problem went away. Fast forward a few months later to when I upgraded to a GTX 1080. Being a 180W card, I went back to the single rail setup and the issue returned. Switched back to a dual rail config and the issue went away again.

Just like someone else said, it seems to be an issue where the GPU is not getting enough power. And yes, I only had the issue with Overwatch and not any other games.
i use to get this, not sure if it's the same fix for you, but i reverted my AMD graphics drivers back to 17.7.1
02/19/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Sinnirr
Hello Jeff, I know I am off-topic here but hope this is going to reach you while you browsing randomly.

=Resolved Issues=

But NVIDIA didn't.

I run on 2 x 1080 in SLI with a 6850K i7 and never have gotten that issue.

Pretty sure your problem is hardware related... low end motherboard?

It's literally only Overwatch this happens with for me and I've run far more demanding games on my rig, which was built for 4k gaming.

So I'm thinking it's a software problem but the hardware is only a symptom.
No the motherboard is high end (gaming 7 aorus z370) and the card is a liquid cooled 1080 Ti, gigabyte waterforce Xtreme; like I've said me (and others) playing ways more demanding games and getting this error only on Overwatch.
02/19/2018 11:58 PMPosted by yareyare
No the motherboard is high end (gaming 7 aorus z370) and the card is a liquid cooled 1080 Ti, gigabyte waterforce Xtreme; like I've said me (and others) playing ways more demanding games and getting this error only on Overwatch.
It was a PSU issue for me. It only happened with Overwatch. Unless you're already powering your GPU with two 12v rails from the PSU, this would be the first thing to try. Saying other games are more demanding describes what kind of sustained load it would require. The issue here is likely caused by a spike or a drop in power. Don't believe that this is the solution? Monitor your 12v rail(s) to the GPU with a hardware monitor and take note of what it shows when you get the error.
02/20/2018 12:09 AMPosted by Rawwberry
02/19/2018 11:58 PMPosted by yareyare
It was a PSU issue for me. It only happened with Overwatch. Unless you're already powering your GPU with two 12v rails from the PSU, this would be the first thing to try. Saying other games are more demanding describes what kind of sustained load it would require. The issue here is likely caused by a spike or a drop in power. Don't believe that this is the solution? Monitor your 12v rail(s) to the GPU with a hardware monitor and take note of what it shows when you get the error.

Have two rails right now, let's see if it works (hope so) - back in a couple of days. :)