Reinhardt Quality of Life Change: Cancel Charge

General Discussion
02/15/2018 02:34 PMPosted by Thanatos
It can still be an "all or nothing" ability if Rein comes to a screeching halt from the cancel and has to struggle to stop himself, as momentum would do. All the while being vulnerable.

It's not like you'd hit Shift again and he'd just pop back into shield stance with a 0 frame animation. You jokers need to have a little imagination.
And then it's an awkward ability that has no point to cancellation as you'd be in an even worse position. How about you just use the ability well instead of asking for it to have a cancel?
02/15/2018 03:10 PMPosted by AdunSaveMe
It can still be an "all or nothing" ability if Rein comes to a screeching halt from the cancel and has to struggle to stop himself, as momentum would do. All the while being vulnerable.

It's not like you'd hit Shift again and he'd just pop back into shield stance with a 0 frame animation. You jokers need to have a little imagination.
And then it's an awkward ability that has no point to cancellation as you'd be in an even worse position. How about you just use the ability well instead of asking for it to have a cancel?

Maybe if we cancel it earlier because we notice our mistake and we are able to get our shield up before we die. Reinhardt has few abilities unless hes right in the fight why punish him so severely for this one? I just feel he's already very slow why not let him use charge for more?
02/15/2018 03:30 PMPosted by ajax
Maybe if we cancel it earlier because we notice our mistake and we are able to get our shield up before we die.
if you made that mistake you should be punished for it.
02/15/2018 03:30 PMPosted by ajax
Reinhardt has few abilities unless hes right in the fight why punish him so severely for this one? I just feel he's already very slow why not let him use charge for more?
Because he's a slow, lumbering wall. It's literally the entire center of his kit. He's not D.Va or Winston. He's a freight train.
Brought this idea up over a year ago, everyone downvoted me and said he is balanced.
02/15/2018 01:50 PMPosted by ajax
I love Reinhardt but I feel part of his kit "Charge" is underutilized or rather often a detriment and not a boon to your team. It takes us too deep or too far past our team if we miss.

Sometimes we slide off walls or start to go towards an edge with no recourse. Like D'va I would like to be able to cancel my charge if I realize it was a bad decision or even to use it to engage better by stopping in front of the enemy and canceling could do that.

Let me know what you think or if you have more ideas to make Reinhardt more dynamic.

Seems like something that should have been put in by now, Rein could use a bit of QOL buff, this works as a good one without changing him too much.
02/15/2018 03:10 PMPosted by AdunSaveMe

If you're using the cancel to "fix" bad plays, you're using the cancel incorrectly. That's why I proposed a delay on him stopping himself in the first place. You're punished for a bad charge or a bad cancelled charge with this setup either way, so why not have the option?

A cancel would still have its niche uses.

Cancel can allow Rein to cancel a pinned charge target and still send them flying off a cliff. Or charge a D.Va bomb, cancel and put up shield. Cancel can help him get to places faster without needing to make sure he hits a specific wall to stop. Maybe future maps can have ramps he can charge off of, cancel midair, and smack a Pharah out of the sky. All kinds of possibilities.
Reinhardt is supposed to stay with his team, not charge away from them

Charge is an ability that you're supposed to plan before using, and a cancel would be too strong
For those presenting the "all-in" references, here's the Blue Post that detailed the reasoning behind why some of the abilities in the game cannot be cancelled:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753339141?page=2#post-23