Not sure if Tracer/Genji problem is balance or smurfs

General Discussion
We've all seen it I'm sure, it's a tough game, you're winning just about. Then all of a sudden an opposition player, usually of low rank/level as a part of a premade switches and a wild deity tier Tracer or Genji appears and trashes everyone.

Now I've played against enough Tracers and Genjis at my level to know most aren't really that great and can be dealt with, not easily, but just with a little extra attention and maybe a hero switch.

I'm not sure then anymore that these heroes are really so imbalanced. They are high skill heroes, and some players can get more out of them than others. Stats also show that they're not really any better than Widowmaker at most levels either, and it's rare you'll see a 'nerf Widow' thread; even rarer to see it supported.

Difference is that a good Widow is a little easier to cope with, even just by turtling up, but you can't do that against Tracer/Genji, so there's no easy answer and so smurfs seems much more likely to take to these heroes. Thus they feel much, much more powerful when outskilled - but when on a level, they don't actually feel too bad.
Now you pointed a nice perspective.
I'm a Tracer main but I do okay-ish with her in my tier. Yet, if I put some of my Diamond / Master friends in my group and they play tracer... it's funny to watch :)

Smurfs of Genji and Tracer are a very common find on consoles.
I think its smurfs at least on ranks below GM maybe masters too. I have over 280 Hrs on tracer and I can do a better job with heroes like 76 than using tracer.

Other thing i think is Dive meta. Thats why i think she thrives at GM level too.

For me at least Im seeing more and more Moira / Lucio comps lately and it really has hurt my tracer performance. Not only moira is very hard to kill but she is very hard to duel as well if she's focusing me. Lucio we all know how slippery that bastard is.

So, with mercy getting nerfed and moira being used a lot, you will see less of tracer. Im not saying she's weak or anything.

She can absolutely do great on right hands. But i've seen even the pro's have to switch her off at times. Sometimes it just clicks right and sometimes it doesnt.

She defo isnt a must pick at any level right now imo, and its just that she's so great with Dive comp. Outside dive, she is just as good as any other dps if not less.
Part of it is smurfs but also if you're getting rolled the enemy team is prone to being overconfident and both characters are really good at punishing mistakes if they can catch someone alone.
I'm at a rank without smurfs, and I very rarely see Tracers or Genjis carry, despite them being frequent hero picks.

So yeah, I dunno. I always assumed the problem was smurfs for other players.
I think you're partially correct.

Smurfs definitely cause a lot of the problems with Genji feeling too strong.

But the way Genji is balanced is also a problem in the game. Genji is balanced so that he's not very effective against triple or quad tank, but players in matchmaking often want to run triple or quad dps. He's overly effective against unorganized competition, which lets him run circles around games in matchmaking. I wouldn't think he was overpowered if I could get my team to swap to 3 tanks every time I run into a Genji main - but good luck ever having that happen.
02/19/2018 04:25 AMPosted by Campari
I think you're partially correct.

Smurfs definitely cause a lot of the problems with Genji feeling too strong.

But the way Genji is balanced is also a problem in the game. Genji is balanced so that he's not very effective against triple or quad tank, but players in matchmaking often want to run triple or quad dps. He's overly effective against unorganized competition, which lets him run circles around games in matchmaking. I wouldn't think he was overpowered if I could get my team to swap to 3 tanks every time I run into a Genji main - but good luck ever having that happen.
He can still be 'effective enough' if he goes after the two non-tanks (the support) so again it's about the skill differential between the players.

To try to draw some sort of analogy, it's like most heroes scale sort of 'linearly' so the differential doesn't get too out of hand, while these two scale exponentially with skill so that they can run way ahead of what they're up against.
Here is problem i have with Genji - every single Genji out there just jumps around/wall climbs and spams right click, not exactly killing anything. It is really rare that one in low ranks really does get normal kills. Then he gets his ults, kills few enemies (preferably healers) and gets his PoTG.

It is really rare that i see Genji and can say: wow, this guy was good.

It is always the same. And yes, it has something to do with the character. The reflect of elephant size and his Q having huge hitbox give him some really easy kills in many cases where on other dps you would have to set up and work for those.
The busted deflect hitbox is the same for a new player and for a smurf as well.
You need a decent Mcree/hog/hanzo/other hitscan, or good teamwork to counter them which is more rare than smurfs, so you just gotta bend over sometimes