And the deranking/toxicity begins

Competitive Discussion
Only a few days left in the season. People throwing to de-rank, people playing heros that dont know how to play, or insta locking their favorite hero regardless of our team comp or the opposite team comp. People not joining voice chat, and then blaming everyone else. Then if they do join voice chat, toxicity is at its highest at the end of the season.

Losses are piling up. Frustrating is getting high. Time to walk away for a bit.

Done for the season, thanks for the fun Blizz. Not sure I'll be back for next season unless MMR and ranking are tweaked a bit, as well as making changes that encourage actual good comps. Its good to see that some reports are being taken seriously, but that effort needs to be tripled.

My heart literally can't handle this toxic game anymore.
02/19/2018 09:17 AMPosted by cesmode
Only a few days left in the season. People throwing to de-rank, people playing heros that dont know how to play, or insta locking their favorite hero regardless of our team comp or the opposite team comp. People not joining voice chat, and then blaming everyone else. Then if they do join voice chat, toxicity is at its highest at the end of the season.

Done for the season, thanks for the fun Blizz. Not sure I'll be back for next season unless MMR and ranking are tweaked a bit, as well as making changes that encourage actual good comps. Its good to see that some reports are being taken seriously, but that effort needs to be tripled.

The first week and last week of the season are always rough. Placement matches this season I went 1-9. ONE AND NINE! And the following few days lost even more SR getting as low as 1100 I believe.
Last season I lost around 300 SR for similar reasons at the end due to stupid crap as well. Ended in silver rather than gold, where I started.
Basically I won't play any comp matches unless I have 3-6 friends on that want to play. Trying to solo early on and later in the seasons ALWAYS seems to be trashy.
You’d think they’d just ruin deranking for these idiots simply by rating them near their season average or even high the following season. Why let people tank their rating on purpose? Just take away any reason to try it.
I dont plan to be back s9 unless changes are made.dead space is free on origin im gona play that and ff9
02/19/2018 09:26 AMPosted by Kapoof
You’d think they’d just ruin deranking for these idiots simply by rating them near their season average or even high the following season. Why let people tank their rating on purpose? Just take away any reason to try it.

You create a whole another problem when you do this though.
"Toxicity is down 17 percent in Overwatch"- jeff Kaplan.
Seems legit.
People playing their favorite heroes

People playing heroes they don’t know how to play

Pick one.
02/19/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Harmless

Pick one.

I pick people learn more heroes before playing rank like in most games.
I've lost 3 in a row today, although Oversumo puts me at playing 75%+ above my rank.

It's very, very bad right now.

I wouldn't do Competitive anymore at this rate tons of throwers, and the matchmaking system broken it's what causing toxic in the first place good luck!
This is why seasons need to be longer... Shorter seasons means even less actual competitive time...
02/19/2018 09:28 AMPosted by maorofl
I dont plan to be back s9 unless changes are made.dead space is free on origin im gona play that and ff9

I wouldn't count on any changes or improvements being made to tiers below diamond, from their silence I'd say they don't care about those tiers as much as they don't care about feedback in Mercy's megathread.

Got back to GM for the 5th time yesterday, only to have it graped away from me by a junkrat one trick instalocking doomfist. He was on my team for 4 games in a row. "I GUESS I JUST NEED TO IMPROVE" OMEGALUL It's actually funny thinking I would have been further ahead just not playing.

What can you do? amirite?
Yea played 1 game today, had a whopping 9% winrate Sombra instalock on Junkertown attack who refused to switch. He was a Mercy main and didn't want to play Mercy and we were all cool with that and asked him nicely to play Ana/Zen/Lucio instead of Sombra if it didn't work out so we could actually put up a fight but of course he refused to swap untill there were like 30 seconds left in the match.

At least I got almost everyone in that match reporting him for piss poor teamwork but I doubt he's ever gonna see any punishment at all.

It's more likely that I'm getting silenced for being super frustrated and toxic in chat because I and the other 4 guys of my team were playing yet another match that was impossible to win (and that happens in what feels like at least 80% of my games now no matter how long I take a break for, could be a few hours could be 5 days but 80% of games are completely ruined by idiots refusing to play with an actual competitive mindset).

If the one-trick/refusal to swap for actual competitive games in the god damn competitive mode is not going to be addressed before the next season I'm out and I'll just watch OWL thinking how great this game would be when all 12 players are playing their heart out in the actual try-hard mode.
02/19/2018 10:02 AMPosted by SaintBoot
"Toxicity is down 17 percent in Overwatch"- jeff Kaplan.
Seems legit.

Cause and effect:
Playerbase is down probably 40% as well by their reluctance to enforce competitive integrity into their own competitive mode, less players = also less toxicity.
02/19/2018 01:33 PMPosted by Hauven
02/19/2018 09:28 AMPosted by maorofl

I wouldn't count on any changes or improvements being made to tiers below diamond, from their silence I'd say they don't care about those tiers as much as they don't care about feedback in Mercy's megathread.

And that is horrible. Aren't most players in the silver-plat range?
02/19/2018 01:56 PMPosted by HughMungus

Got back to GM for the 5th time yesterday, only to have it graped away from me by a junkrat one trick instalocking doomfist. He was on my team for 4 games in a row. "I GUESS I JUST NEED TO IMPROVE" OMEGALUL It's actually funny thinking I would have been further ahead just not playing.

What can you do? amirite?

Yah, youre not playing well enough to be in GM. Judging by your stats, you could aim .8% better, and you can die less once. <I dont know hah> I hate the "well get better" bs responses. Thats not it. It never was.

50% off of overwatch right now. So tempted to buy another account, fresh and new, and see where I land in next season in terms of placements and end season rank. Guarantee it is at least diamond, at least.
02/19/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Zeppelin87

The first week and last week of the season are always rough. Placement matches this season I went 1-9. ONE AND NINE! And the following few days lost even more SR getting as low as 1100 I believe.

I placed 2996 this season. Highest I've ever placed (on Xbox).

That remains my season high. Lost my first 5 post-placement matches thanks to throwers & trolls, and am currently sitting at just below 2450 having been unable to climb due to the vast number of smurfs, trolls, griefers and throwers that currently infest competitive on Xbox.

It really is like the Wild West on there, thanks in no small part to the fact that Blizzard's own GMs claim they cannot reverse silences/suspensions on console (and that the support section of this very website is for PC only; there is no console support) so players can do whatever they want in game with no fear of repercussions.

And why would they worry about repercussions when there seemingly are none.

These days it seems like I'm making at least one report per competitive match, if not more, and yet I haven't received a "thanks" message in game to tell me my reports have been actioned in months now. So I end up seeing the same familiar faces in comp time and again, frustrated by the fact that they're trolling/throwing/being toxic in match after match with no regard for their teammates.

If their account gets suspended they just make another smurf account and keep the same crap again. There's no limit to the number of smurfs you can have on console as there's no requirement to purchase another copy of the game (although there really should be as it would help clean up competitive on consoles by reducing the plaguelike smurf numbers).

I'm really struggling to find a reason as to why I should subject myself to the constant frustration of being unable to have a fair, balanced and enjoyable competitive experience on Xbox again for another season.
02/19/2018 10:56 AMPosted by EmpressMeow
02/19/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Harmless

Pick one.

I pick people learn more heroes before playing rank like in most games.

But the point is that they don't have to.

It is ideal but not mandatory. You don't make the rules.

02/19/2018 02:12 PMPosted by Sparks
Yea played 1 game today, had a whopping 9% winrate Sombra instalock on Junkertown attack who refused to switch. He was a Mercy main and didn't want to play Mercy and we were all cool with that and asked him nicely to play Ana/Zen/Lucio instead of Sombra if it didn't work out so we could actually put up a fight but of course he refused to swap untill there were like 30 seconds left in the match.

At least I got almost everyone in that match reporting him for piss poor teamwork but I doubt he's ever gonna see any punishment at all.

It's more likely that I'm getting silenced for being super frustrated and toxic in chat because I and the other 4 guys of my team were playing yet another match that was impossible to win (and that happens in what feels like at least 80% of my games now no matter how long I take a break for, could be a few hours could be 5 days but 80% of games are completely ruined by idiots refusing to play with an actual competitive mindset).

If the one-trick/refusal to swap for actual competitive games in the god damn competitive mode is not going to be addressed before the next season I'm out and I'll just watch OWL thinking how great this game would be when all 12 players are playing their heart out in the actual try-hard mode.

It is YOU in the wrong. They do not have to switch- BY BLIZZARD Rules.

You, however, are wrong by false reporting. Furthermore, you were most likely being toxic in asking to switch or not polite.... "X switch now" "No X" - that is not asking... and no one has to listen to demands.

It is not poor teamwork because they refuse to switch. You are not their boss. You are no one to a stranger. You need to face reality for what it is, not for how you want it to be.

12/18/2017 06:52 PMPosted by Josh Engen

We believe players can choose to play any available hero during any game at any time, and that their choice of hero alone is not a behavior that should be penalized by our customer service team under any of the player report categories (including griefing, inactivity, or poor teamwork).

Players who inaccurately submit player reports in an attempt to punish someone’s hero choice are considered to be harassing or griefing their fellow player, and inaccurate reports make it more difficult for us to appropriately action the players who DO disrupt the game.

Your teammates can respectfully provide their opinion and suggest using a different hero for the gameplay situation that your team is experiencing, but the final decision about which hero you want to play with is yours alone.

The main reason this is happening is that a lot of inexperienced players are pouring into the servers for last minute placements/games/deranking etc. as you said. Experienced players are being inundated with them as teammates due to the broken OW MMR handicapping system that punishes skilled and experienced players by handicapping them with horrible teammates.