How do I get out of here?

Competitive Discussion
I think I reached the limit of my skill... I've been bouncing back and forth between 1600 and 1800; I rise as dps and fall as tank/support. However, when I reach 1800 Pharah is just not enough, of course. So I flex and in doing so I fall in rank.

What do you guys suggest I do to break out of 1800? Should I practice Pharah more? Should I practice other heroes to flex properly? What did you do to break out of your limits?
Play Pharah more. Switch to something sustainable if you get hard countered with Pharah. Like 76 or RH. Focus on these characters. Don’t “over-flex”. Meaning- Don’t try to correct or fill roles so much. You are DPS. Be a more efficient killer, but do it in a way to advance your team to a win.
Thank you, Scooby.

That's the first time I've heard advice against over flexing! There is so much demand for fill players I thought it was the right thing to do, and I was obviouy doing it wrong because how come we get stomped when I switch to tank/heal? But what you say does make sense.
Its never good to be jack of all trades..
pick one of every role and stick to them. when good dps,, then go zen from supps or moira tanks zarya imo..
Work on game sense. This helps with all characters. Ignoring kill feed. Barraging on point B Anubis then dying is trash, even if you get 5 kills, if rest of your team back at spawn.

Coordinate with your team.

Know Ult status of team mates. Have a good idea which enemy Ults online. If enemy McCree not seen for 30+ seconds you can bet a dead eye is coming up soon from nearby High ground.

Positioning. In qp I can guess who are silver players as they're the ones in the open that I murder. Diamonds are the ones that always duck around a handy corner that I can never kill.
Always have an escape route, whereby if you hear a Dva bomb or tac visor you can duck to safety. This includes knowing where your Rein shield is and staying behind it.

These 2 factors help with any character you play.

Regarding flex - is only worth flexing if you can play the character. I can play Lucio and Mercy. Learning Moira as Mercy sucks balls now.
For tank I play Orisa quite well. Am trying to learn Winston, so I can tank for divier comps.
For dps I am a good Torb, but picking up Junkrat for greater mobility and higher impact gameplay. Also learning Hog as a good dps/tank hybrid.
02/15/2018 03:23 AMPosted by Anirac
Thank you, Scooby.

That's the first time I've heard advice against over flexing! There is so much demand for fill players I thought it was the right thing to do, and I was obviouy doing it wrong because how come we get stomped when I switch to tank/heal? But what you say does make sense.

Pfft. I only come from exp playing this terrible MMR/SR system. I wish I never flexed. Flexing brings you down. S3 I hit plat playing only Lucio, 76, and RH. Decided to flex every season after. Now I can barely stay in Gold. And the MMR uses those flexing seasons to keep me ‘where I belong’. Granted, I needed to bring my flex heros to par with my ‘mains’. But it has been to far taxing and lengthy a process to only come to the conclusion of “I shoulda just focused more on my mains.

I love OW!
You won't be getting out anytime soon unless you get someone to boost you out or buy a new account.

The current ranking system is not progressive at all. it does everything to keeps you in one place unless you gain some super skills all of the sudden.
02/15/2018 07:21 AMPosted by HANA
You won't be getting out anytime soon unless you get someone to boost you out or buy a new account.

The current ranking system is not progressive at all. it does everything to keeps you in one place unless you gain some super skills all of the sudden.

Wow, is it that dire for solo queuers? There are so many stories of people climbing right out of bronze into plat...

Thanks for the tips everyone!