" you are at the SR you belong" fallacy

Competitive Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 11 Next
All nonsense. All of it.

Trolls, throwers, leavers and smurfs plague this game. A game that is HEAVILY reliant on team synergy. Unless you elitists can walk into a game solo, and take on six people, kill them, and live to tell about it, stop talking.

Overwatch is a team game.

And one person cannot do it all, period.

Someone with common sense finally.
02/18/2018 01:59 PMPosted by Faking
OP's stats finally available on overbuff at https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Lightwaves-1712?mode=competitive.

I am afraid those look like solid bronze stats. Accuracy solidly in bottom 1% on most characters, damage and elims in bottom 10% or worse on most characters. Only roadhog and soldier have good stats but they are so much better than the rest it looks like someone else played them.

The only thing you are doing well is staying alive.

So my two tips for you would be firstly to improve your aim. Most easily achieved by changing the mouse sensitivity to somewhere between 3.0 to 4.5 if your mouse dpi is set to 800. It should be a lot easier to hit targets than the default settings.

Second tip would be to get into the action more. The sign that you don't have a lot of damage or elims but are staying alive suggests you are playing too safe. So follow those tanks closely and work with them.

The elite cannot even keep things consistent.

One of your friends above said that you could climb and do well at the top without even having to have good aim, and now you come in and the first thing you criticize is the players aim.

So which is it?

Aim? Gamesense?
Or is it really a matter of playing this game early enough, when no one knew where they belonged, and thus took it seriously, instead of today, where most players in low rank are angry, bitter, frustrated, and disenfranchised, and as a result, troll, throw, leave, and smurf?

Luck of the draw my friend.

It's kind of like watching people try to explain a senseless tragedy, everyone has their theories on why it happens, but the truth is that things just happen for no reason, and overwatch is the same way. Some people got lucky and got in early. Others, got in early with no skill, and now it's too late even though they are better. Too many of the low level players are jaded, and now the game becomes a matter of praying the matchmaker queues you with people that want to win as badly as you do and that there are no smurfs on the enemy team, trying for fame with a "bronze to grandmaster" stream.

gg
02/18/2018 01:50 PMPosted by Anfanee
Law of averages applies to literally everything.

Play enough games, there is only 1 constant in every team.

Take responsibility and try to improve round after round, improve your law of average on your own skill, and you will climb.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

I repeat, Trolls, throwers, smurfs, leavers.

I don't think you understand how rampant this is in the lower ranks.

You wouldn't though. It's very rare that the monarchs can sympathize with the peasants.
02/18/2018 02:06 PMPosted by Heihachi
I'm solo heals as Zen, and our rein charges into six people with my

That's what you did wrong, you attempted to solo heal as Zen. You're welcome.

Yes no one else selected heal, but i have had that happen to me many times, and i sucked it up and selected a healer that could actually solo heal.

What you are complaining about comes back to the law of averages. Yes that happens, but the enemy team has a statistically higher chance of that happening to them, since there is 5 randoms on yours and 6 on theirs.

Also looking at your stats... You are where you should be. Your best hero (Zen) is in the 33rd percentile.... The rest of your heroes you are in the bottom 10% of players for...

So again, stop blaming your team and take responsibility.
02/18/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Anfanee
02/18/2018 02:06 PMPosted by Heihachi
I'm solo heals as Zen, and our rein charges into six people with my

Yes no one else selected heal, but i have had that happen to me many times, and i sucked it up and selected a healer that could actually solo heal.

What you are complaining about comes back to the law of averages. Yes that happens, but the enemy team has a statistically higher chance of that happening to them, since there is 5 randoms on yours and 6 on theirs.

Also looking at your stats... You are where you should be. Your best hero (Zen) is in the 33rd percentile.... The rest of your heroes you are in the bottom 10% of players for...

BzzZZZt! Wrong again!

You still don't get it. I play very often with teams who refuse to pick a tank, very often it's one tank, no tank, or all dps and me solo healing as Zen. Zen needs tanks and teamplay to play well, thats the right of it. I can't do well if I'm dead, and I can't stay alive if we have no tanks.

Stop staying this nonsense. One person, unless as (you and your ilk have pointed out above) cannot change the outcome of the game meaningfully unless you VASTLY (read GM status) outskill the competition. You have to get as close to being able to solo 6 people as you can get before you can influence the game.
I can't fault blizzard for this. In fact, it's the beauty of their design. They've created the perfect game in regards to total reliance on team comp, synergy, and communication.

Too bad the rampant trolling, throwing, and smurfing ruin it all.
I have spent a lot of time in low bronze and I must say that even for a trash player such as myself, climbing from 800sr to silver is relatively easy. I think people in bronze are auto tilted, they throw too easily, always talk about their medals, blame the team and never take responsibility for their own poor play.

I know you're gonna react negatively to this but your stats are bronze at best which means you need to improve. When I was low bronze, all I did was focus on what I was doing. This is because overwatch is a lottery, sometimes you get good team mates, sometimes you don't. The best you can do is just try your best and improve.

There's also a lot of non-gameplay things you can do that will help you climb. I'm not saying this is you but there's a lot of players in bronze that try to dictate team comp, call other players trash or tell them to switch off dps etc. Doing these sort of things tend to tilt/annoy players to the point where they throw. I learned to just keep my mouth shut and play around trash picks.
02/18/2018 02:27 PMPosted by Heihachi
02/18/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Anfanee

BzzZZZt! Wrong again!

You still don't get it. I play very often with teams who refuse to pick a tank, very often it's one tank, no tank, or all dps and me solo healing as Zen. Zen needs tanks and teamplay to play well, thats the right of it. I can't do well if I'm dead, and I can't stay alive if we have no tanks.

Stop staying this nonsense. One person, unless as (you and your ilk have pointed out above) cannot change the outcome of the game meaningfully unless you VASTLY (read GM status) outskill the competition. You have to get as close to being able to solo 6 people as you can get before you can influence the game.
I can't fault blizzard for this. In fact, it's the beauty of their design. They've created the perfect game in regards to total reliance on team comp, synergy, and communication.

i just told you, if you are the only healer get the hell off Zen, how hard is it? You blame your team for not swapping and bla bla yet you are stubborn and don't swap either?

I literally just told you that your stats are in the bottom 10% of players (except zen, then bottom 33%), YOUR STATS. Not win/loss or anything. Your literal stats.

Stop blaming your team, take responsibility, look at areas to improve your game and you will climb. Take the team out of it completely, and just do your best to play the best you can every game. Check your stats and look at areas to improve, and work at that.
02/18/2018 02:00 PMPosted by Superbunny
That's not even remotely true. By level 10, it knows exactly where you should be. By 25 plus 10 games, it's determined your MMR many times over. Blizzard has admitted this.

By level 10 it knows exactly where I should be?
So what if I decided to try and play each hero once?
What if I'm a good tank player, but everyone else played poorly?
What if I'm a good healer, but no one knows how to defend you?

I call BS on that.
02/18/2018 02:40 PMPosted by Anfanee
02/18/2018 02:27 PMPosted by Heihachi

BzzZZZt! Wrong again!

i just told you, if you are the only healer get the hell off Zen, how hard is it? You blame your team for not swapping and bla bla yet you are stubborn and don't swap either?

I literally just told you that your stats are in the bottom 10% of players (except zen, then bottom 33%), YOUR STATS. Not win/loss or anything. Your literal stats.

Stop blaming your team, take responsibility, look at areas to improve your game and you will climb. Take the team out of it completely, and just do your best to play the best you can every game. Check your stats and look at areas to improve, and work at that.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761846460
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761697471?page=1
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761916403
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761876450
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761856464

We all must be wrong, right? We all must be just very bad.

You don't get it. This discussion is pointless.

Solo healing period is a bad idea, Zen or otherwise. Team game, remember?
You must be the same person that in a losing game, when someone says "well i have four golds" you go and tell them stats don't matter.

Some things just can't be measured by stats (like nullifying a genji ult as Zen for example, or telling your team to back off the point just before overtime, because the enemy is gonna jump on and blow all their ultimates)

Don't look at those stats and think that I don't have a clue. You cannot do well in this game if you don't have the team to back it up, be it solo heal mercy, zen, ana, or lucio.

Just stop.
You know what? there is no point in having this discussion, you will never see that sometimes things happen to people that is outside of their control, and sometimes nothing can be done.

Good luck, enjoy your GM games, my queen. The rest of us peasants will continue to play the bronze lottery.

I'm done.
I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here too. I've come to realise that SR does not give *any* indication of skill whatsoever. How can it, when I can lose SR because of various things outwith my control: throwers, leavers, griefers...

SR cannot possibly give any indication of skill when it can be so easily manipulated by those kinds of factors, completely outwith the players control (or skill).

SR isn't a skill rating at all. It is just a number showing how lucky or unlucky you have been in competitive.
just for context about 15 months ago when I started competitive I was at 1400sr and now I am at 3200sr, so I am an example of the rank system working. .
you said it yourself when you play with a team, not to not get any bad players but because they are better than you win. and when you play solo q you lose is that not perfect evidence that YOU are the problem not the team not the throwers(that by the way the enemy team has and higher ranks have) the problem is that you are to stubborn and narcissistic of your own ability and if you just had fun with the game you will naturally get better and gain that rank that is so important to you.
Your excuses are bad. If bronze has nothing but throwers and trolls, then that is true for both teams. If you are playing above that level you will win more than 50% of your games and climb.
02/18/2018 02:50 PMPosted by Heihachi
02/18/2018 02:40 PMPosted by Anfanee

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761846460
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761697471?page=1
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761916403
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761876450
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761856464

We all must be wrong, right? We all must be just very bad.

You don't get it. This discussion is pointless.

Solo healing period is a bad idea, Zen or otherwise. Team game, remember?
You must be the same person that in a losing game, when someone says "well i have four golds" you go and tell them stats don't matter.

Some things just can't be measured by stats (like nullifying a genji ult as Zen for example, or telling your team to back off the point just before overtime, because the enemy is gonna jump on and blow all their ultimates)

Don't look at those stats and think that I don't have a clue. You cannot do well in this game if you don't have the team to back it up, be it solo heal mercy, zen, ana, or lucio.

Just stop.
You know what? there is no point in having this discussion, you will never see that sometimes things happen to people that is outside of their control, and sometimes nothing can be done.

Good luck, enjoy your GM games, my queen. The rest of us peasants will continue to play the bronze lottery.

I'm done.

Wat? Attitudes like that are why you are where you are. Not even admitting that you have work to do skill wise. Not even an acknowledgement, it's your teams fault you are not GM right?

Using your ult to cancel out a Genji is 100% shown in stats actually. It's called Trans Healing, for which you are in the bottom 34% of players for.

I have solo healed multiple games and won, it is possible to do so.

Stats don't lie mate, I'm sorry, but they don't. Stop comparing yourself to the teams you are with, and start comparing yourself to the average player on that hero. Aim to get all of your mains above the 50th percentile skill wise, and you will climb.
hm, i only got placed into silver back in season 3 or something i think. i dont know how bronze is, i admit that.

and you are right, those lower ranks are hard to get out of when you have a team that is demotivated because it is low rank (no mic, no proper team composition, everyone doing his own thing instead of pushing in together, etc...)

i'm not 100% sure how i managed to get out of there back then.
one advice i could give is to not pick heroes that are heavily reliant on your team to use them properly.
this almost never works when the team is not working as a team.
this is still true in diamond where i play right now.
if your hero pick is not properly utilized by your teammates, switch off to a more self efficient hero.

for tanks i would go winston. or hog if you are good with him, even dva can work when you have a main healer.
they all are kinda selfoperating and can help your teammates if need should arise and can get picks.

for healers, i would say go moira right now, do not play mercy if you do not have a team that is able to protect you/give you proper locations to fly to.

for dps, i dont know, i guess everybody works...i dont play dps much so no idea here. soldier maybe? junkrat? dont know.

hope that is helpfull and good luck climbing until you find proper matches with people communicating and working together!
Lmao. Everyone is going on about elitists, and everyone ignored my, and every other example of people who genuinely gave evidence to counter your argument yet all you focus on is the evidence that is skewed. Yea. We know the gms who play in plat can climb if they play their main, we know you attacked that post. Yet you act like the genuine examples don't exist so you don't have to make an actual argument about your claim other than "throwers wa"

I played in silver for a month, playing my rammed best. And I climbed out. Yea, i got throwers. But improving my gameplay and continuing to grind made me climb. Silver is not as riddled with this as you all claim, i literally played in silver a couple months ago. (On my dps Smurf, as I'm not gonna ruin the experience of my current tier by playing characters I don't yet play at thay level)
Here is where people of all ranks have trouble understanding.

Meta is a lie.

Bronze players tend to pick rein.. get matched up with players who don’t understand the game as well as them... think they are throwing.. then do things that will get themselves killed.

Take the example of the rein. They probably didn’t have the game sense to realize you were solo healing and he couldn’t just jump in and survive.

Maybe you didn’t discord his target and they lived. Or he just made a misplay.. or the rest of the team wasn’t ready for his dive. All valid concerns. He probably saw pros being able to dive in with solo zen heals and not realizing that the pro was able to do it because the winston dived with the rein and the team followed up.

Now, to get to the zen player in this example.

Why are you solo healing zen and thinking you will be able to consistantly win? Why are you expecting anything else but anloss if you try to play like the pros when the pros don’t play with bronze players.

Stevooo did not climb with symm playing symm the same way he does at GM. If he did, he would have been too reliant on his team and he would have been stuck also. He changed his playstyle.

Most guides people use to help them improve are done so for players basically gold and above. When bronze players try to do this without realizing that they are dealing with teammates that do not have the mechanical skills nor the knowledge to perform these tactics.. they suffer, blame their “dumb” teammates, get tilted, play worse, and turn into the teammates they hate and appear to be throwers or smurfs (when you get over it and start popping off with a “good” team)

I’m a diamond one-trick symm on my alt. I play additional heroes on this account that bounces around plat. I also team up with friends that put me down in low gold games, with my teammates overmatched by the enemy.

I play symm so much differently and a lot more aggressive then I do in diamond. I can get away with it because Roadhogs can’t kill me, mccree’s flash my barrier, ect.

When i made my ult.. I played qp against the easiest competition ever until i was in the teens on levels and the matchmaker decided I was too good to be matched with noobs. These are bronze players. The games were a joke in how easy they were. I imagine that is how a GM feels about plat games.

It isn’t that higher rated players don’t understand the kind of throwers and griefers you have in bronze. They get the same thing in their games.

What is different is that a high percentage of those people you think are throwing.. are just NOT GOOD.

My son who is mid masters, often plays mystery heroes with me. He rages at the lower ranked people playing heroes they are unfamiliar with and thinks they are trolling or throwing or just shouldn’t be playing the game. He doesn’t understand there are players that just haven’t put the literally 1000 hrs into the game as he has and that they are really trying.

You may perform well enough to play in gold if your acct was placed there. It is frustrating. I get frustrated when i play symm in low gold and can’t carry my team of silvers.. even though I know I can perform well at diamond on symm.

I get frustrated when I’m in low plat because I fill on this account.. when I know if I just one-tricked symm I could climb up to diamond.

I get frustrated when I play a bunch of gold games and forget that I need to play a different way in plat and diamond and I lose.

With all that said... sr IS your MMR. You will be pulled toward this MMR as long as your stats are bad.

Your stats are bad because you are not adjusting to the proper playstyle at YOUR RANK.

If you want to play zen in bronze. Don’t play zen like boombox. Find a zen playstyle that will maximize your stats. Don’t worry about wins if I’m gonna be honest with you. Wins play such a small role in your MMR at lower ranks you can climb with a negative win rate if you are playing in a way that the computer likes for the character you are playing.

If you are drastically at a lower rank then you belong.. like 2-3 ranks.. you won’t stay there.. it really isn’t possible unless you try to stay low and play heroes you are really bad at. Every hero has carry potential if played well at that rank.

Personally, I can’t play Mercy at silver and carry.. but I can handle myself well on mercy at diamond. The way I play mercy is heavily dependent on good team coordination.

Figure out what works for YOU at your rank. You will climb until you reach the playstyle cap for that hero and that playstyle forcing you to adjust.

Bronze players aren’t all bad. But the ones that are stuck there are there for two reasons.

They are unable to get mechanically or strategically better.

Or They want to be there.
02/18/2018 01:34 PMPosted by Lightwaves
Oh gee look another post about exactly what i said should stop being said. But i also said "unless you're really good"

What you just said to me is "I could win more games if I was better"
Do you think there's some huge trick to playing symmetra? do you think she's hard? She's not that hard, but it all comes down to knowing what to do and when. you dont need to aim, you just need to make the right decisions.

It's not impossible and you can definitely make up for the bad people on your team, you don't need them to be amazing, you just need them to sorta be able to do their jobs. You're not gonna win 1v6 but dude....

02/18/2018 10:10 AMPosted by Lightwaves
one player cannot be the difference, unless that player is really good

My point is that if you wanna climb - you HAVE to BE THE REALLY GOOD PLAYER.
saying "I can't make up for the baddies on my team" at bronze ? Why can't you? At master / gm .... well yeah you can't but..... I mean...... it's a different story here.
Look dude, it's pretty reasonable that if you cannot climb out of whatever rank then you must not deserve the rank above it and in that sense you are where you belong.
02/18/2018 02:52 PMPosted by Ralhern
Your excuses are bad. If bronze has nothing but throwers and trolls, then that is true for both teams. If you are playing above that level you will win more than 50% of your games and climb.

Wrong. Luck is not equally distributed. Some players will have crappier luck than others.

It's why I don't play the lotto. Try again.
02/18/2018 02:59 PMPosted by Cekay
hm, i only got placed into silver back in season 3 or something i think. i dont know how bronze is, i admit that.

and you are right, those lower ranks are hard to get out of when you have a team that is demotivated because it is low rank (no mic, no proper team composition, everyone doing his own thing instead of pushing in together, etc...)

i'm not 100% sure how i managed to get out of there back then.
one advice i could give is to not pick heroes that are heavily reliant on your team to use them properly.
this almost never works when the team is not working as a team.
this is still true in diamond where i play right now.
if your hero pick is not properly utilized by your teammates, switch off to a more self efficient hero.

for tanks i would go winston. or hog if you are good with him, even dva can work when you have a main healer.
they all are kinda selfoperating and can help your teammates if need should arise and can get picks.

for healers, i would say go moira right now, do not play mercy if you do not have a team that is able to protect you/give you proper locations to fly to.

for dps, i dont know, i guess everybody works...i dont play dps much so no idea here. soldier maybe? junkrat? dont know.

hope that is helpfull and good luck climbing until you find proper matches with people communicating and working together!

Thank you man. I love posts like this. You are not blind like some people here, you acknowledge the flaws while giving encouragement, and as I just got out of a game where FIVE, FIVE people left because we were losing (we hadn't even ended the round) I needed to read this.

Thank you for being supportive. I will put your advice to work.
02/18/2018 03:01 PMPosted by Puck269
Here is where people of all ranks have trouble understanding.

Meta is a lie.

Bronze players tend to pick rein.. get matched up with players who don’t understand the game as well as them... think they are throwing.. then do things that will get themselves killed.

Take the example of the rein. They probably didn’t have the game sense to realize you were solo healing and he couldn’t just jump in and survive.

Maybe you didn’t discord his target and they lived. Or he just made a misplay.. or the rest of the team wasn’t ready for his dive. All valid concerns. He probably saw pros being able to dive in with solo zen heals and not realizing that the pro was able to do it because the winston dived with the rein and the team followed up.

Now, to get to the zen player in this example.

Why are you solo healing zen and thinking you will be able to consistantly win? Why are you expecting anything else but anloss if you try to play like the pros when the pros don’t play with bronze players.

Stevooo did not climb with symm playing symm the same way he does at GM. If he did, he would have been too reliant on his team and he would have been stuck also. He changed his playstyle.

Most guides people use to help them improve are done so for players basically gold and above. When bronze players try to do this without realizing that they are dealing with teammates that do not have the mechanical skills nor the knowledge to perform these tactics.. they suffer, blame their “dumb” teammates, get tilted, play worse, and turn into the teammates they hate and appear to be throwers or smurfs (when you get over it and start popping off with a “good” team)

I’m a diamond one-trick symm on my alt. I play additional heroes on this account that bounces around plat. I also team up with friends that put me down in low gold games, with my teammates overmatched by the enemy.

I play symm so much differently and a lot more aggressive then I do in diamond. I can get away with it because Roadhogs can’t kill me, mccree’s flash my barrier, ect.

When i made my ult.. I played qp against the easiest competition ever until i was in the teens on levels and the matchmaker decided I was too good to be matched with noobs. These are bronze players. The games were a joke in how easy they were. I imagine that is how a GM feels about plat games.

It isn’t that higher rated players don’t understand the kind of throwers and griefers you have in bronze. They get the same thing in their games.

What is different is that a high percentage of those people you think are throwing.. are just NOT GOOD.

My son who is mid masters, often plays mystery heroes with me. He rages at the lower ranked people playing heroes they are unfamiliar with and thinks they are trolling or throwing or just shouldn’t be playing the game. He doesn’t understand there are players that just haven’t put the literally 1000 hrs into the game as he has and that they are really trying.

You may perform well enough to play in gold if your acct was placed there. It is frustrating. I get frustrated when i play symm in low gold and can’t carry my team of silvers.. even though I know I can perform well at diamond on symm.

I get frustrated when I’m in low plat because I fill on this account.. when I know if I just one-tricked symm I could climb up to diamond.

I get frustrated when I play a bunch of gold games and forget that I need to play a different way in plat and diamond and I lose.

With all that said... sr IS your MMR. You will be pulled toward this MMR as long as your stats are bad.

Your stats are bad because you are not adjusting to the proper playstyle at YOUR RANK.

If you want to play zen in bronze. Don’t play zen like boombox. Find a zen playstyle that will maximize your stats. Don’t worry about wins if I’m gonna be honest with you. Wins play such a small role in your MMR at lower ranks you can climb with a negative win rate if you are playing in a way that the computer likes for the character you are playing.

If you are drastically at a lower rank then you belong.. like 2-3 ranks.. you won’t stay there.. it really isn’t possible unless you try to stay low and play heroes you are really bad at. Every hero has carry potential if played well at that rank.

Personally, I can’t play Mercy at silver and carry.. but I can handle myself well on mercy at diamond. The way I play mercy is heavily dependent on good team coordination.

Figure out what works for YOU at your rank. You will climb until you reach the playstyle cap for that hero and that playstyle forcing you to adjust.

Bronze players aren’t all bad. But the ones that are stuck there are there for two reasons.

They are unable to get mechanically or strategically better.

Or They want to be there.

Appreciate the words, Puck. You've given me much to think about.