Quick play Plat vs Masters?

General Discussion
Hi guys I'm a plat player and when i go for quick play the game brings Grand masters for me to play with. Is that normal? Does that mean that my skill is the same as theirs? Pls Some one help me to figure this out.
Happens to me as well (I was low diamond before I stopped playing comp a few seasons ago).
The matchmaker is just a lot less strict on QP in favour of shorter queue times. Also people usually don't play QP as seriously, so high-ranked players might end up in lower MMR pools.
02/19/2018 03:14 AMPosted by SaintAriel
Hi guys I'm a plat player and when i go for quick play the game brings Grand masters for me to play with. Is that normal? Does that mean that my skill is the same as theirs? Pls Some one help me to figure this out.

Even if someone on the other team is a higher competitive rank than you, the teams are overall balanced. It's not always perfect but it's usually pretty close.
Match making in quick play is virtually non-existent

I was in silver playing against grand masters. It doesn't mean skill levels are similiar, it just means the match making is sloppy.

If my MMR was that of a grand master I wouldn't be in diamond
Typically anyone above gold is a good match with each other for QP. System simply tries to put equal number of GMs and plats on both teams.
Well there's only about 1% of players in GM and even only taking Diamonds - GM would only make up about 15% of the playerbase (many smurfs in that range so the percentage might vary) and they have to be queued with someone. Especially in off-peak hours. Matchmaking is a bit less strict as it is QUICK play so it tries to match quickly rather than fair.

On top of that, someone who mostly plays QP and plays it semi-seriously and plays there best heroes usually will play against players that are a) same rank with same mentality or b) people with higher rank who play less serious or heroes they usually don't play or c) people who are lower rank but try hard like it is comp.

On top of that, groups mess up the matchmaking a lot. I have a friend who's a Bronze player and when I queue with him, we play against people from Gold to GM, all in one game, in quick play.

Look at what they played to achieve that rank too. If you see a GM who's playing Mercy all the time but against you they play something else, like McCree or Widow, chances are that they are not gonna perform at a GM level but maybe at a Diamond level.

I can observe that, when I played only Ana in QP and tried my best to win like in comp (leaving aside communication) I ended up playing with GM and T500 sometimes while if I played some Genji I'd soon be playing with Plat / Diamond instead.

And that's another thing - communication. People don't usually communicate or counterpick in quick play. That however plays a huge role in why someone might be in Master. The mechanical difference between Platinum and Diamond for example is almost not existing in my experience. I myself would say that if I would not use voice chat in comp, I wouldn't have made it to Master but would instead sit somewhere in low to mid Diamond.
02/19/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Meowcenary

I was in silver playing against grand masters. It doesn't mean skill levels are similiar, it just means the match making is sloppy.

yep one time when i was bronze i was match against a masters widow. i went widow to try to counter (im not a very good widow, but shes fun and its qp) and he DEMOLISHED me. after the game i checked his profile and he was masters last time he place which was a few seasons ago and he had a lot of time on widow
Sometimes I'm queued against/with bronze, other times Master/GM, and I don't necessarily lose matches against M/GM, last night I had some, that was really tough , like they were good, winning was a challenge, it was fun, thrilling but also insanely tiring lol. But gotta say some of them were also very toxic at times, like, insulting people who managed to kill them.

All in all it's been really fun, but no need to insult, or at least, not publicly. We all have bad words of frustration that our friends will hear, don't have to share them with everyone else.
It seems others have had these kind of games too. Last weekend I had this game where our team were all diamond players and enemy team had 4 GM + 2 top 500. What did the MMR even think?
It was really diamond team against grand masters. Although I like the challenge and to learn from betters. Don't you think team full of masters would be enough? But no, lets pit against GM's straight away.
QP is all over the place for me. Majority of my games have silvers, golds, and plats (low chance of daimond and master(. Basically a full 1000 range. This causes crummy games overall. If 'm in a 6 stack, things are even more wierd. Plats, diamonds and a few masters on average.
02/19/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Meowcenary

becuase being a GM solo queue gengi or GM Mercy is very much the same as being a Widow or Sym in QP ....

/s