Feels like a lot less people playing Support

General Discussion
85% of healer mains I see are Moira mains. I thank her that I ever get a second healer in comp these days
I was a mercy main, now after nerf playing mostly DPS, ocassionally zen if needed or Orisa + I stopped caring about SR at all since I dropped like 700 SR as I stopped onetricking mercy. Now I am no onetrick anymore.
On my end, i've completely stopped playing since the Mercy nerf. It's not that I can't adapt to other characters; I just needed to take a break from the game. I've been playing since launch and now that they made my favorite character into a literal heal-bot it was time to play other games and get my life together. I kind of had an addiction to healing & rezing people for a good year and a half, but I'm doing better now.
If sombra goes live I am ditching support and tank and only playing sombra so I can carry my games as I know I can with how overloaded her kit is about to be
02/16/2018 12:28 AMPosted by Weazzel80
On my end, i've completely stopped playing since the Mercy nerf. It's not that I can't adapt to other characters; I just needed to take a break from the game. I've been playing since launch and now that they made my favorite character into a literal heal-bot it was time to play other games and get my life together. I kind of had an addiction to healing people for a good year and a half, but I'm doing better now.
I took a break at monster hunter world and can't go back, because supporting there is really cool.
02/15/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Ni9htmare420
It’s bc mercy is unfun unrewarding and supports r always focused
If you only consider rez as rewarding.
There's been some hostility towards supports by the community lately. It makes people not want to play them as much. Mercy mains especially get toxicity due to perception of low skill. It is a little justified due to her being OP lately, but most of us played her at her valleys as well as her peaks. She's fun. So a lot of us are trying to branch out and learn other roles. This happens in competitive somewhat(just lost like 250 SR trying to play flankers when my off-role skill is prolly 500-600 points lower; Gave up because it's too damaging and people rage at anyone playing below skill level). But it also spills over to quick play.

TONS of Mercy players(myself included) are spamming QP practicing genji, widow, sombra, mccree, hanzo and others with a strong emphasis on aim. Now admittedly we're not awful at it. We play Lucio and Zenyatta who still use aim. We played Ana when she was in the meta(I'm surprised she's not more popular with Triple Tank tbh). But the aim demands are much lower generally. So you see us practicing highly aim-centric heroes now. And that means most of us aren't playing supports.

Seriously. If you view profiles on a lot of those widow and hanzo spammers in QP, especially the rather underwhelming ones, you'll see a disproportionately high number of Mercy mains trying to improve the one skill they lack in. Cause when it comes to positioning, situational awareness, and timing, we got that !@#$ on LOCK. Aim though? Yeah we're working on it.

So is there a solution? I'm not sure. I mean there was already a glut of sniper mains in QP. It's gotten worse lately though. But I don't know how to rectify it. Because while the hostility was unwarranted, its only logical people want to improve. You're unlikely to see people stop practicing now, even if the rage stops. Because people want to improve.
I used to play a lot of support but I play a lot less of it now. Most support is underwhelming, when Mercy was OP I could solo heal as her and with the high mobility it wasn’t much issue but now she’s boring AF to play and most people don’t know how to deal with having supports like Ana and Zen on their team anymore, so I find myself being picked off easily because no one ever groups up or helps against flankers. I can handle a pesky Tracer or hopping Genji but I can’t handle both at the same time while the rest of my team is splitting up to try and play hero. Keep in mind while I’m being flanked and asking for help all I hear is ‘I need Healing’ cause I was the only one willing to pick Support and no one checks the kill feed.
I am playing in Comp and I see a lot of supports. Sometimes it looks like supports are stuck in high gold... I had a lot of games with 3 or 4 main supports. A lot of those games were lost due to lack of damage...
And the less rewarding to play bit does have some merit. Personally I don't get the Mercy is UP argument. Her ult is fantastic. Her rez is still useful. I find you need to call out and communicate with team to get it off, but that's not a bad thing. Just call out "DVA I'm going for rez. Cover me." And let her matrix you. Moiras ult is usually plenty of healing to keep you alive for 1.5 seconds if you communicate.

But the thing is, for me personally, I was drawn to mercy for 2 reasons. I enjoy playing healers and supports. And I enjoy playing STEALTH games. Like, a lot. I had a reputation in some other communities, heh. People acted like hiding for ult as Mercy was easy. Yeah it was at lower brackets, but people hunt you. And if yoy leave too early you guarantee a lost fight before ults drop because its a 5v6 with only one healer.

In much the same way there is a stealth element to landing a good High Noon or Death Blossom, Mercy Rez against a competent team had a risk reward of properly avoiding and sneaking, while ALSO knowing when to break off without leaving your team at a disadvantage.

About the only stealth element left imho is sneaking rezzes, which can be great fun but is generally not worth the risk most of the time. Still, breaking tether and hiding while the enemy team runs past then rezzing a rein behind them into an earthshatter can be devastating. Doesn't work on KOTH but its an option to on payload or 2CP.

Anyways, I just wish there was a way to bring back the stealth fun of her old ult without the way it shaped the meta. Either that, or I just want people to shut up about her. The hostility is pretty excessive. There have been tons of OP characters in Overwatch. Why does she get so much hate?
If it really takes no skill...

Then everyone else can play supports. I'll pick roadhog
Quite the opposite, I see plenty of supports in my games now that mercy has been nerfed, im one of them too, more of a flex but yeah

This is correct, supports are always focused. Why? Because they are the most important characters in the game. But wait, don't the forums say that the supports are weak and nerfed due to the evil DPS mains? Hmmmm
02/16/2018 01:59 PMPosted by Stunlaw

This is correct, supports are always focused. Why? Because they are the most important characters in the game. But wait, don't the forums say that the supports are weak and nerfed due to the evil DPS mains? Hmmmm

I think your reasoning is flawed. If supports were strong they would survive being focused by DPS.... right now they are just easy pickings that you get out of the way so that they don't cause unnecessary delays when you try to kill other targets.
02/16/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Qwazi
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I think your reasoning is flawed. If supports were strong they would survive being focused by DPS.... right now they are just easy pickings that you get out of the way so that they don't cause unnecessary delays when you try to kill other targets.

So the RIP tire always will pick a Mercy over any other DPS because Mercy is easier to hit with the RIP tire?
02/15/2018 02:38 PMPosted by Merciful
Not sure if it is just me but I feel like a lot of games I run into now have hardly any support players. Is anyone else noticing this?

Ignored thread; answering OP:
Lots of support players are fed up with DPS players being unreliable. Coming to the forum and listening to the DPS players fuss about the healers not healing (because they're constantly abandoned) on the forum doesn't help.

I hate to say it, but even I've been branching out into the DPS gameplay a little bit. I LOVE tanking, but when the DPS on your team won't team, accommodations must be made.

Either way, DPS is the most efficient way of ranking up and word is somewhat getting around among players. Between support mains being tired of relying on idiots and everyone wanting to rank up and escape the unhelpful players, a lot of them are clinging to using DPS characters now.
02/15/2018 03:42 PMPosted by Blueblizz
really?

i barely see anyone willingly play tank.

Same too i stopped playing comp though and decayed a lot. In qp however i always have 2 healer but no tank.
02/16/2018 02:17 PMPosted by Stunlaw
So the RIP tire always will pick a Mercy over any other DPS because Mercy is easier to hit with the RIP tire?

Well, yes... By aiming for that big yellow or blue line you can almost always guarantee that two enemy targets gets killed. Mercy and the person Mercy is healing/boosting...