Ana is the Only Sniper Who Can't Get to High Ground

General Discussion
Widowmaker swings up to the highest corners of the map. Hanzo climbs up there.

The biggest problem with Ana is you are mostly restricted to low ground and awful sight lines. The ideal place for Ana to be is above the fight with a clear line of sight to her tanks/DPS. Unfortunately, it takes her so long to get to high ground that the fight is already over when she gets there, or she can get booped off by a tank or have to jump off to get away from a flanker. And once she's off the high ground, it takes more years to get back up there.

On low ground it is almost impossible to have good sight lines to your team, and your grenade is much harder to aim without getting obstructed by teammates standing in front of you.

I don't think the answer to this is a grappling hook or wallclimb, but she needs some kind of ability to get to high ground. The only complicated part is how do we give mobility to a 60 year old woman who doesn't have Soldier 76's prosthetic legs?
she is too old for that sh!t
Well, DPSing as a traditional sniper is not what she's supposed to do (and is heavily discouraged since you'll most likely die trying to play her like Widowmaker without a grappling hook)
There's literally THREE snipers. You're acting like she's the exception to a long-running rule. She doesn't need mobility, that's not her problem.
Just give her one of those electric wall ride chairs you see in commercials. Sh.t would be too funny
She gets rekt when away from her team, she should be with them but you use the scope to hit any of your team that go off.

This is why she has firing modes.
I find being on the highground as Ana to be equivalent to asking the enemy sniper to kill me, or at least ask Pharah/Divers to harass my !@#.

Ana ideally isn't the healer to pick when your whole team is going to be huddled together all the time, unless you're going Tank heavy and each individual target has a large healbox.
Hanzo and widow are the only snipers that can't heal their own team....see what I did there.
02/17/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Tperodactyl
Just give her one of those electric wall ride chairs you see in commercials. Sh.t would be too funny

I didn't know I wanted this.
Do *all* snipers truly need verticality? IRL snipers don't do crazy vertical maneuvering - they do things like going up the stairs the upper floors of a building or shooting from the ground in concealed positions
It's over, Ana-chan, I have the high ground - Widow, probably
Give her a jump like in her Highlight Intro. She can even do a little roll when she lands.
I think Ana should be able to Ride Winston like a Mount.
Remember when everyone thought that she could get to high ground in her reveal trailer? Blizzard jebaited us all, hahaha.
02/17/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Chaghatai
Do *all* snipers truly need verticality? IRL snipers don't do crazy vertical maneuvering - they do things like going up the stairs the upper floors of a building or shooting from the ground in concealed positions

In theory, no, but IRL there aren’t giant space monkeys, robot ninjas, and teleporting lesbians that are going to all rush you at once from half a mile away.

I too like the idea of a sniper needing to move tactically, but Ana’s main problem is that she has literally no response to a dive except for what I consider to be the hardest-to-hit shift in the game. Mobility to get up on the high ground is nice, but the real reason she needs it is to escape a dive. And if she’s going to get mobility, why not make it vertical since she is a sniper?

I don’t think it’s too crazy for her daughter Pharah to give her some kind of “rocket” double jump - mechanically similar to what Hanzo is getting (meaning one that’s tied to the space bar but still operates on a cooldown). A vertical boost that only is available every so often would:
A) Let her escape from dives
B) Help her reposition To shoot around barriers
C) Leave her vulnerable when her jump is down - a Genji, for example, would still be a hard counter to her because he can follow her pretty much anywhere, but only a smart tracer who is communicating with their team would be able to corner her

IMO that solves all her problem, encourages a separate play style from Moira (who is the one that should be pressed up into her tanks), and would encourage Ana play in the OWL on certain maps like Junkertown or Anubis, while still leaving the other supports as more viable in closer maps.
She seriously does need some sort of mobility or climb ability. It doesn't need to be overpowered or even an offensive ability. Like you said, it just needs to let her be able to reach high ground to get those ripe heals, or to escape sticky situations if she needs to.
#LetAnaWallclimb
I am also on board with the vertical ability crowd.. to those who are against that what do you think Ana could use? something to help with close quarters scuffles?
another typical "sniper option" in other games is a sidearm like a pistol.
how lolsy would Ana be is she could swap to a Mercy/Baby D.Va pistol with offensive biotic shots?
It makes sense for her kit if she could have a wallclimb, even if it's slower than Genji or Hanzo's. She's a sniper, are people seriously happy that her strongest place is spamming shots into tanks at short range?

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Walls for everyone.
#GiveAnaClimbingGloves
Give her a wall jump on cooldown that allows her to spring once off each wall (2 charges), like Lucio without the wallride obviously. This would allow her to get to certain high grounds, and could also work as a temporary escape tool against dive heroes.

I also think they need to get rid of sleep dart, because it’s both incredibly powerful and incredibly unreliable, which only makes her more difficult to balance.