People who think Smurfing is okay...

General Discussion
...are so oblivious to the actual damage they are doing to this game. Why would you encourage people who are making a unfair playing environment for people who just want to play normally?
Smurfing isn't okay, it never was okay. Blizzard only approves of it because it makes them more money, since players have to buy the game again in order to do so. YOU SMURFS ARE PAYING BLIZZARD TO RUIN THE GAME.
And some people say "Oh, they are just practicing heroes." Is there really ANY benefit other than hero practice? Lets say that i want to practice a sniper, like widowmaker. I just use the practice range or the AI matches, i think that's enough practice, after all, most heroes aren't even that hard to play. *Cough Cough* Junkrat, *Cough Cough* Pharah (On console). The game even gives skill ratings on all characters, there are barely any characters with 3 stars.
So not only does smurfing ruin the game and make blizzard money that has been spent for stupid purposes, but its completely unnecessary.
IF YOU THINK SMURFING IS OKAY, PLEASE STOP PLAYING THIS GAME.
People have different definitions of what a "smurf" actually is. If a smurf means a guy playing a second account, that's perfectly fine. I have no problem with that.

If a smurf is intentionally tanking games to play in a lower bracket, then that is definitely reprehensible.
Ok let's say hypothetically smurfing is a huge issue and the MMR system doesn't sort people out quick enough. How do you suggest we enforce this? How do you know who is smurfing and who just has multiple people in the household who play the game?
02/18/2018 12:56 PMPosted by SonicGamer21

ok.

have fun playing with one less not-smurf.
02/18/2018 01:01 PMPosted by Buttercult
People have different definitions of what a "smurf" actually is. If a smurf means a guy playing a second account, that's perfectly fine. I have no problem with that.

If a smurf is intentionally tanking games to play in a lower bracket, then that is definitely reprehensible.

Um, your second definition isn't what a smurf is.
That's literally called being an !@#$%^-.
A "second account" is not ok because you're starting the game w/ more XP than actually noobs. You'll wreck them. "But the placement system will match them to their correct MMR eventually." Um.. Yeah, XB/PS4 accounts are free to make. When that happens, WELP, time to make another FREE SMURF.
You can't punish people for their skill level, learn from them how to up your own game
I don't think every smurf is the kind who purposefully plays poorly so that they can then run over noobs.

For example, I have one additional account because it's the only way I can play competitive with my friends. My main account is in masters and I have five friends in gold-platinum. Competitive is the only really enjoyable mode for us and it's the only mode that we can't play together on my main account.

That said, I only play my smurf when I'm playing with them and I always try my hardest to win. I didn't throw my placement matches or intentionally play poorly and the matchmaking actually only let me roll over people for like two matches before it started pairing us with higher-level players, so it's not entirely unfair being that all five of my friends have to play above their level when they queue with me (I'm at like low 3000 something on that account because I let it decay occasionally).

I'll agree, though, that people who throw down to bronze by themselves just to revel in their pwnage of low-level players are sad.
I'm going to keep playing the game just for you.

If you think practice range and AI are viable places to learn, then you're the one who's pretty oblivious
02/18/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Swalsh

A "second account" is not ok because you're starting the game w/ more XP than actually noobs. You'll wreck them. "But the placement system will match them to their correct MMR eventually." Um.. Yeah, XB/PS4 accounts are free to make. When that happens, WELP, time to make another FREE SMURF.

While the accounts are free, it takes a pretty long time to level up to level 25 to start smurfing again. If somebody wants to spend around 15 hours repeatedly just for a few free games where they can stomp people, that's their unique psychological problem.
A "second account" is not ok because you're starting the game w/ more XP than actually noobs. You'll wreck them

Maybe for a game or two, but MMR straightens that out before long. Honestly I doubt it even happens for those first couple games. I only started OW last summer and I almost quit right out of the gate. My first games placed me against diamonds and masters and I can remember just being so outrageously outclassed it wasn't even funny.
02/18/2018 01:09 PMPosted by Goldlantern

While the accounts are free, it takes a pretty long time to level up to level 25 to start smurfing again. If somebody wants to spend around 15 hours repeatedly just for a few free games where they can stomp people, that's their unique psychological problem.

1-20 on a fresh account only takes a couple hours. Less because they dominate their games. It's not "20K xp" like the rest of us long time players
02/18/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Swalsh
1-20 on a fresh account only takes a couple hours. Less because they dominate their games. It's not "20K xp" like the rest of us long time players

XP is based on time played. The bonuses for gold medals and whatnot are trivial.

To reiterate... Smurfing on a Second account is fine because if you play the same way as you normally do... in about 3~5 games your stats equalises with your main account... about an hours worth of game time will give you the same/similar stats... which means you can get a better idea of what your SR is since you will be playing with a clean slate.

However Smurfing to carry games is equal to the concept of throwing... because you are purposely playing below your usual level to get into lower tier games. However at the end of the day overwatch is a team game... Unless you have mastered the ability to be a solo god... you ain't going to do much so lowering your MMR isn't always good.
02/18/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Swalsh
02/18/2018 01:09 PMPosted by Goldlantern

It does not. I took me 17 hours on a fresh account and that was after I had played a lot and had a good understanding of the game. Even at a level per game, it would take much longer than 2 hours. It takes several games to level up starting at around level 15.
02/18/2018 12:56 PMPosted by SonicGamer21

I'll just uninstall I guess.. good knowing you guys.
I don’t know why people defending Smurfs, most smurf are just there to wreck new/low rank players to feel good about themselves

In no other context aside from this forum are the terms alt and smurf conflated. Why people here keep insisting smurf can mean alt is beyond me, but it serves only to confuse the problem. The term smurf exists specifically to describe players who intentionally play against others well below their rank. In Overwatch that would involve switching between playing at your usual high level of play, to other games where you purposefully play like garbage to ensure a loss (i.e. throw, but don't assume they're going to be as obvious as jumping off cliffs all game.) Both of these ways of play create unbalanced, unfun games for one side or the other.

The term smurf only has meaning when it describes this type of behaviour. Otherwise we already have the term alt. Stop confusing them.
How do you guys know people are smurfing? Unless someone explicitly states that they are smurfing how do you know that it's not the matchmaker messing up?
people don't think that and you can report someone for throwing games.

from what it seems you want people to get banned simply for having more then one account
Let's put things in perspective. Your MMR is sorted out in about an hour or two. You can only play comp when you reach level 25 which you won't do in 2 hrs so there shouldn't be any smurfs in comp that don't deserve their spot. Worst case is that you have to deal with smurfs in arcade and qp for 2 hrs