Why the heck can we get teamed with someone we JUST reported

Competitive Discussion
It's absolutely ridiculous to have to queue with someone you just reported. A longer queue time while the servers update after a report would be infinitely preferable.
Cuz
My friend this thing you are using called a brain. Is something all the people at blizzard do not actually have. They don't care because people still buy and play the game (much like myself) no matter how bad, broken, and infuriating this game is.
02/18/2018 06:55 PMPosted by Cerberus
My friend this thing you are using called a brain. Is something all the people at blizzard do not actually have. They don't care because people still buy and play the game (much like myself) no matter how bad, broken, and infuriating this game is.

It doesn't help that its alternatives are either garbage in gameplay or are in a bad shape like low concurrent player count.
Maybe your report was BS?
Because if that worked people would BS report good players they dont want to face again.
02/18/2018 06:55 PMPosted by Cerberus
My friend this thing you are using called a brain. Is something all the people at blizzard do not actually have.

My friend here is a straight SAVAGE!!
02/18/2018 08:05 PMPosted by Mew
Because if that worked people would BS report good players they dont want to face again.
The how about the people we reported for throwing/trolling/griefing?

I think the real problem is that Blizzard wants to make things work both-ways instead of one way. Like, I can avoid a player who's throwing/trolling/griefing, but I can't avoid guys who destroy me over and over again, but Blizzard says "nah, its all or nothing".
Reports are used to identify players who are violating Code of Conduct, however no tool currently in Overwatch will prevent you from being re-paired with another player in a future match. We used to have a "Avoid this Player" option, however was quickly removed as it caused issues with matchmaking and certain players who were good, honest players would be unable to find matches.

The best advice when you just dealt with a toxic player is to take a good break. This will not only lower your chances of meeting them again in the same play session, but you will have the chance to cool off if you did become tilted.
If people realized they could essentially use reports as an 'avoid player' feature then false reports would go through the roof.
02/18/2018 08:47 PMPosted by WyomingMyst
Reports are used to identify players who are violating Code of Conduct, however no tool currently in Overwatch will prevent you from being re-paired with another player in a future match. We used to have a "Avoid this Player" option, however was quickly removed as it caused issues with matchmaking and certain players who were good, honest players would be unable to find matches.

The best advice when you just dealt with a toxic player is to take a good break. This will not only lower your chances of meeting them again in the same play session, but you will have the chance to cool off if you did become tilted.

Telling a person to stop playing something they mechanically enjoy is a lose-lose situation. Blizzard would be at a loss as well as the players who do this would be at a loss.
02/18/2018 08:05 PMPosted by Mew

Why?

I'd love to get free wins from a troll that was just on my team. Besides match chat is only text and not voice, and ignoring match chat isn't really going to make me play any worse.
02/18/2018 08:47 PMPosted by WyomingMyst
The best advice when you just dealt with a toxic player is to take a good break. This will not only lower your chances of meeting them again in the same play session, but you will have the chance to cool off if you did become tilted

So with the sometimes limited free time a *good* Overwatch citizen has they have to log-off and the troll goes on unpunished until eventually the reports catch up with them.

So presumably less good Overwatch citizens end up playing?
02/18/2018 09:29 PMPosted by Pokadotdurr
If people realized they could essentially use reports as an 'avoid player' feature then false reports would go through the roof.

Or they could just reintroduce an avoid player, but this time with a bit of thought behind it such as:
  • Limiting the avoid players list to 3 players
  • Once reaching 3, you have to remove 1 of those avoided players from your list to avoid another
  • Restricting it such that you can only avoid people who have already been on your team
  • Avoiding someone only prevents the matchmaker from putting that person on your team => ie you can still play against them

This is just an example of a system that *may* work, you can't tell me that a team of 5 or 6 people couldn't nut something out within 30 minutes to solve this problem.

Your argument is oversimplified and naive, think of a solution instead of justifying the status quo. What are you like 70 or something?
02/18/2018 10:13 PMPosted by predat0r
02/18/2018 09:29 PMPosted by Pokadotdurr

Or they could just reintroduce an avoid player, but this time with a bit of thought behind it such as:
  • Limiting the avoid players list to 3 players
  • Once reaching 3, you have to remove 1 of those avoided players from your list to avoid another
  • Restricting it such that you can only avoid people who have already been on your team
  • Avoiding someone only prevents the matchmaker from putting that person on your team => ie you can still play against them

This is just an example of a system that *may* work, you can't tell me that a team of 5 or 6 people couldn't nut something out within 30 minutes to solve this problem.

Your argument is oversimplified and naive, think of a solution instead of justifying the status quo. What are you like 70 or something?

I was just pointing out why they don't block the players you report from your games. Most people who complain about things like this don't usually think about the reasoning behind it. When designing systems you always have to think about how it can be abused because if the ability to abuse is exists, people will abuse it.

Also I am in support of a better avoid player system as long as it is is well thought out. I find it interesting that you had a knee jerk reaction to my statement assuming I was against such a system. Seems to me like you might be projecting a little bit there. Food for thought.
You reported that player because they did something bad. Either throw, being toxic, or one-tricking torb on attack. What you failed to realize was WHY that person was on your team in the first place. For you to lose. That's part of the "balance" of forced 50%. The game knows these kinds of players, and knows to pair them with you when you need to lose. That is why you are with them a second time. It's still your time to lose.
02/18/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Pokadotdurr
When designing systems you always have to think about how it can be abused because if the ability to abuse is exists, people will abuse it.

Correct.
02/18/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Pokadotdurr
Also I am in support of a better avoid player system as long as it is is well thought out. I find it interesting that you had a knee jerk reaction to my statement assuming I was against such a system. Seems to me like you might be projecting a little bit there. Food for thought.

I wouldn't read too much into it, more so possibly a slight disappointment seeing otherwise rational/smart people give up because they think a problem is too hard to solve. That I think is a real shame, and part of the reason we still face many of the harder to solve problems today. Good, smart people just giving up. Hopefully the 70 quip makes them realize they are acting just like the oldies who put them in this mess in the first place.

On the subject of food for thought: "How about report and a block checkbox" still following whatever the regular block rules are. => "blocking this player will fill one of your remaining block slots" OR when the block slots are full, a drop down prompting which block-slot to replace.
02/18/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Nikonarou
You reported that player because they did something bad. Either throw, being toxic, or one-tricking torb on attack. What you failed to realize was WHY that person was on your team in the first place. For you to lose. That's part of the "balance" of forced 50%. The game knows these kinds of players, and knows to pair them with you when you need to lose. That is why you are with them a second time. It's still your time to lose.

So what does the system do when you win even through it put that player on your team? Does that also mean that the players on the enemy team are supposed to win? What does it do to them now that all 6 of those players have lost a game they were supposed to win. What happens if it keeps happening? What if the player it puts on your team to ruin the game ends up doing well that game? What if a plater the system thinks isn't doing well was just warming up and this game they do gang busters and carry the game they were supposed to lose? What if all these questions I'm asking bring to light the numerous issues with your theory that the system is forcing 50% win rates?
02/18/2018 06:11 PMPosted by drawinablank
It's absolutely ridiculous to have to queue with someone you just reported. A longer queue time while the servers update after a report would be infinitely preferable.

because you already paid your $40-$60 and they dont care anymore
02/18/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Nikonarou

That's not a thing lol.