Can the next hero please be a tank that's hard to play

General Discussion
With the amount of healing Moira can do and the rise of tanks. Im guessing the new hero is gonna be a DPS. DPS Hammond inbound.

But Im hoping this hero is actually hard to play and rewarding. I havent clicked with any of the new heroes since release other than DF.
02/19/2018 05:57 AMPosted by EMc73
The last high skill floor non-dps hero was ana, and I don't think people were happy back when she was only viable in high skill brackets.

High skill floors are fine as long as there's not an unreasonable gap between the lowest and highest. So if for example the average McMissalot faces the average Pharah/Junkrat and has to work harder to contribute, it's not really a problem. But when you can't really keep up at all unless you're far more skilled, picking that hero just becomes an unnecessary handicap. Ana's a lot better now after the rifle buff.

I wouldn't mind a tank that is as challenging to play. I'm not really sure how to make shielding teammates aim-reliant but it sounds fun. Maybe a gun that let's you shoot incoming projectiles or something?
02/19/2018 06:34 AMPosted by HANA
Have you ever played Winston or D.va? Don't answer that.
The fact that you are Zen main and getting hard countered by those just says it all.

I have played them.

They're both easy to play, D.Va is the harder of the 2 but they're all incredibly easy to play, anyone who understands Overwatch as a game can play them.
squizeeme bro but the hog is the hardest tonk.
Noobs that think tanks are about mechanics... I'll just sit here and expect you to get 5000 SR with tanks, as they are SO easy to play.
02/19/2018 05:45 AMPosted by Campari
02/19/2018 05:33 AMPosted by Napsu
Why tho

Because a lot of people enjoy mechanically demanding heroes. Ever notice your teammates want to play Widow, McCree, Hanzo, and Genji - but not Junkrat, Reaper, or Bastion?

I will never want to play Winston so long as he's a no-aim hero. I'm happy for all the players that love him, but I have zero interest in playing him. Give me a tank that requires McCree like aim and I'll tank for my team all day.

I mean I like Hanzo simply because I like Trajectory shots.
Which is strange I am reasonably good with Projectiles of Hanzo

https://streamable.com/yyj4b ( video of my Hanzo )

and Zenyatta but pretty bad at McCree.

I don't know for some reason I can never time the flashbang and fan properly as other players. Maybe because I used to play TF2 so much that I got the timing down for Bow.
02/19/2018 06:34 AMPosted by slidey
Mcree and widow are 2 of the least skilled heroes lol
You know you are reading a quality post when the last word is lol.
Yeah. Can do! It’ll lack mobility, so you can’t escape anything. Your shields won’t last, because we’ll buff Genji and Tracer to do more damage. Your ultimate actually requires you to be stationary, so you’re easier to kill. We’ll tease another new DPS hero while releasing you to make sure you never have a working team again. You can heal yourself, but with no damage mitigation and you’re stationary during and can’t use any abilities.

Wish granted. Hard to play.
Why tho

Because a lot of people enjoy mechanically demanding heroes. Ever notice your teammates want to play Widow, McCree, Hanzo, and Genji - but not Junkrat, Reaper, or Bastion?

Ever notice that we already have a tank which is hard to play named Zarya and barely anyone plays her?
02/19/2018 06:48 AMPosted by Bergmaniac

Ever notice that we already have a tank which is hard to play named Zarya and barely anyone plays her?

She's not hard to play though.

Peeling with barriers really isn't a hard concept to grasp nor apply.
02/19/2018 06:35 AMPosted by Fruitslayer
02/19/2018 05:57 AMPosted by EMc73
The last high skill floor non-dps hero was ana, and I don't think people were happy back when she was only viable in high skill brackets.

High skill floors are fine as long as there's not an unreasonable gap between the lowest and highest. So if for example the average McMissalot faces the average Pharah/Junkrat and has to work harder to contribute, it's not really a problem. But when you can't really keep up at all unless you're far more skilled, picking that hero just becomes an unnecessary handicap. Ana's a lot better now after the rifle buff.

I wouldn't mind a tank that is as challenging to play. I'm not really sure how to make shielding teammates aim-reliant but it sounds fun. Maybe a gun that let's you shoot incoming projectiles or something?

You can create a high skill floor tank by using Pyromancer ability from TF2 - Airburst.

Airburst is one of the highest functional skills in the game as you have to perfectly time the airbrust to cause it to fly back, a reaction time of 0.5 seconds is required. Unlike Genji's deflect which has an extremely low skill ceiling.

Creating a Tank with such kind of timed reflection ability would make him or her a very dangerous to any and all projectile based heroes. You can balance it by making its CD 2 seconds but being unable to deflect beams and hitscan.
02/19/2018 06:48 AMPosted by Bergmaniac

Zarya was very popular before her nerfs and dive.
Why tho

I will never want to play Winston so long as he's a no-aim hero. I'm happy for all the players that love him, but I have zero interest in playing him. Give me a tank that requires McCree like aim and I'll tank for my team all day.

I don't think you get what a tank's role is.
02/19/2018 06:14 AMPosted by Luca
You all press the Q key at the same time? You win the fight.
There you go. You described an aspect of Overwatch that doesn't only pertain to low skill heroes; do you want a medal for being one of the most whiny low level players, according to your career profile, on this forum?
02/19/2018 06:14 AMPosted by Luca
02/19/2018 06:06 AMPosted by HANA
Why? That will only make it a less picked compared the others just like ana.

Because I'd rather play a hero that scales with your mechanical skill as opposed to D.Va or Winston who simply Press Shift at the same time as the rest of their team and win.

Seriously, I hate it.

You consistently all press the shift key at the same time? You win the game.

what!! Timing your ults to work together instead of randomly throwing them at the other teams works!! How dare people use strategy to beat you nerf! nerf! I say!!
I just want a Melee character~
Agreed. Every character requires gamesense but mechanically intensive characters make it feel like you're actively pushing your team forward as opposed to just doing what your team needs and punishing mistakes while not making any of your own- which mechanically intensive characters have to do regardless. Sure there are pro Winstons that will jump off the map, ult, kill the Pharah and make it back alive, but like that's rarely a viable option, let alone the optimal one.
"Can the next hero please be a tank that's hard to play?"
Why? In this game, if a hero is hard to play, it's instantly considered as a useless hero which needs to be nerfed, or is a troll pick in comp.

Just look at the past examples.
Ana is hard to play, and now everyone is crying that she isn't picked often enough.

Widow is hard to play, and now everyone is crying how she is a troll pick and isn't good enough to use her.

Hanzo is hard to play and even with his bull$$t scatter arrow, he is considered as a troll pick

and so on.

This game is only about complains.
If a hero has a lower skill cap, people who play them are being flamed that they are bad players
If a hero is hard to play, people will complain how unfair it is that this hero need much more skill as other heroes.
02/19/2018 06:58 AMPosted by Fainora
what!! Timing your ults to work together instead of randomly throwing them at the other teams works!! How dare people use strategy to beat you nerf! nerf! I say!!

I'm not complaining about the ults, I'm complaining about the fact there's no hard to play tank. Comparing it to ultimates, think about how easy it is for a Zarya and Hanzo to press Q at the same time, it's just as easy for Winston and D.Va to press shift at the same time and have more impact on the fight because of how frequently they can do it.

Winston and D.Va are incredibly easy, you press shift at the same time and click on the same people and you tend to win every single time.

I'd much rather play a tank hero that encourages mechanical skill and not just pressing shift at the same time as your allies.

Because I'd rather play a hero that scales with your mechanical skill as opposed to
who simply Press Shift
and win.

Seriously, I hate it.

You consistently all press the shift key at the same time? You win the game.

Mechanically demanding
Proceeds to explain Genji gameplay