Toxicness is out of control

General Discussion
Toxicness is out of control, im 29years old, ive been gaming since the age of 12 been semi pro at quake3 and gears of wars 1 & 2. in my entire life ive never felt the need to unsintall a game because of the players among it. i get flamed by 2-3 people at the same time from one game then the other game people wants to group with me cuz they think i did great.. bipolar stuff.

this was my last game of overwatch. ive been playing since beta. 1200hours+.\

a smurf comes in and tells people im throwing in general chat and kids are actually believing him and they followup and i endup with 4-5 guys flaming me. game is over move on to the next and i still get them... the game is awesome but the people.. im done being trash talked at... you guys can hate on each other without me.
I think Terry Crews is a funny guy
02/19/2018 10:36 PMPosted by Cobanat
I think Terry Crews is a funny guy

can confirm
Sorry you had a bad experience. Best advice I can give is play with friends. Grouping up minimizes your chances of getting toxic people in your games. Also, if you find good communicating players who are enjoying the game, it's best to shoot them a friend request, or just say something like, "Hey you seem like a lot of fun to play with, is it cool if we group up, or can I add you as a friend?"

Most people will be flattered and say yes. Once you've built up that strong friends list, you will start enjoying the game a lot more, I promise.
I'd suggest just stop playing for a few months then come back and see if anything has improved. I stopped playing ages ago and came back recently and started enjoying the game again.

Anytime I get anyone messaging me (95% of the time its people just flaming me) I just report them and move on, because really at the end of the day, games are meant for entertainment.

Then again I have to wonder, I really don't know if my reports are taking effect on console. I know Xbox message reports work most of the time but in-game reports I don't know if anyone is actually getting suspended.

Long story short, take a break, play a single player game, come back six months or so, see if the player base has improved in behavior. Imo I think it has got worse last time I played communication wise but so far I haven't found very many leavers and throwers.

Inb4 that the polar opposite happens.
People are dicks in this game. The game is setup in a way, that passing on blame is very, very easy.

At this point, I just leave general and team chat, as well as voice. I can't be bothered listening to garbage. Plus, I can actually focus without Joe Hancock talking about the Taco he got in 2007 for 20 minutes.
02/19/2018 10:33 PMPosted by RedFury
the game is awesome but the people.. im done being trash talked at... you guys can hate on each other without me.
Game is bad, and spread toxicity. Or you just can switch your friends, because who cares about them))))
I think you got a bad case of luck. However this may be rectified if you give money to our lord and saviour king daddy Jeff Kaplan. Also I don’t have anything really constructive to say I just felt like saying this.
02/19/2018 10:33 PMPosted by RedFury

a smurf comes in and tells people im throwing in general chat and kids are actually believing him and they followup and i endup with 4-5 guys flaming me. game is over move on to the next and i still get them... the game is awesome but the people.. im done being trash talked at... you guys can hate on each other without me.

This just happened to me today as well. Some random guy riled up a bunch of people in Quick Play saying I’m throwing. Only it’s the first time I’ve been accused of throwing, sure enough I supposedly get reported. No idea if I actually was. A legit quality player from the other team jumped to my defence along with a few others and we all ended up joining up as a group and killing it for the next hour, it was fun. So exactly the same bipolar stuff you speak of. I’ve never thrown a game. I’ve played a bit selfish when I started out and could only play one character, but I’ve since expanded my playables greatly.

To be clear, stuff like that is just noise, and worthless, but I’d hate to get an unwarranted warning for something I didn’t do. What caught me off guard was the venom from the player accusing me. It made no sense...and that’s just it. Per haps they were projecting their own issues on me, no idea.
Well, given how devs treat the game and it's players....all people with a bit of sanity left stopped playing.
I don't know, I returned to the game recently after a hiatus and it seems a little less toxic than before, if anything.
02/20/2018 05:18 AMPosted by VitamiX
I don't know, I returned to the game recently after a hiatus and it seems a little less toxic than before, if anything.

You're in gold which is a lot less toxic than say diamond or masters

I've been in silver, gold, plat, and mid diamond and oh boy, lemme tell ya, the higher you get the more toxic people get.

And it gets bad

I can't even play some heroes in diamond anymore without fear of being auto-suspended from the sheer report spam for merely playing a hero people dislike.
Ripperino in pepperinos. This games toxicity is a drop in the bucket compared to some games I've played.
Yeah, I've noticed this as well. 90 percent of games either have

1. A immature/young kid who throws a temper tantrum when things don't go his way
2. A manchild who throws a temper tantrum when things don't go his way
3. A smurf
4. A hacker
5. A troll

Its frustrating, because communities like this really ruin games. I really like online games, but the communities can be so bad that it really puts a damper on things.
The problem is a fault with the game itself, the design and balance is very poor which in turn because people feel that it is so RNG dependent that it is very easy to feel hard done by which in turn generates a toxic response. This game feeds the negative aspects of human nature by design. I find it a total joke that this game has a "Pro scene" for something that is pure marketing over any substance. I can hear all the fan boys coming already so I'll just leave now so i don;t have to read your inane replies defending this poorly designed game.
Oh and on a second note to the OP the best thing you have done is to uninstall this game, your life will only be better for it, and now you can invest your time into a game that has been made for players not to leech every single cent it can from its player base with out offering anything of substance in return. The player base of this game is made up by fan boys, and low IQ kids that are happy to be fed new skins instead of game balance an improvements. Top that with a !@#$ dictatorship that is the Blizzard forums and you have a perfect storm to breed toxic gamers. Grats Blizz you have created a total abortion.
Been in competitive gaming since 2002. I feel you and its sad. Everytime I see that OW.exe I really want to click on, but often just go "mehh, im in a good mood now".

I dislike people announcing their leave, but you my friend, I can relate to. Its a shame and I support you :(

Edit: I started again with CSGO MM. And you cannot guess how less toxic the EU MM of csgo has become. I have more coordinated, exciting and fun matches with csgo mm than OW. I wish it was the other way around :( difference is night n day
It is a team game so you enable other people's play. For example if you are a healer that is dpsing instead of healing your dps will not be as effective. If your tank is not creating space your healers and dps will die more often and have less opportunity to do their jobs. If dps are not killing anything no amount of healing or space creation will help you win. You can carry games if your skill is much higher than the enemy teams skill but if it is close it is hard to carry. The paradox is when players do not do their job then blame others. For example dps moria's do dmg and dont heal. They look at their stats and think hey I have silver or gold dmg what is dps doing. Well dps is most likely getting health packs all game. A heal moria will enable the dps and tanks to play at their full potential being a net loss of dps for themselves but huge gain of dps for the team increasing the chance of winning. This is one example it is a very common example but it goes for every class in the game. This is where the toxicity happens. A lot of it is due to medals and people being toxic. I know this because I am very toxic. Being a team player gets you flamed by scrubs and being a selfish player that causes more losses gets you flamed by good players so no upside.
yeah...... OWL is still a joke. The game is still too unbalanced for pros to even exist. Look Once Dive Dies, we will likely see 3/4 of the "pro scene" go up in smoke. Said it since OWL started.
Toxicity came along when gaming became mainstream. The bigger the pool of people the more chances you have to stumble on rotten apples.

02/20/2018 05:45 AMPosted by Hoist
It is a team game so you enable other people's play.

Sure but cooperative games are not a new concept at all and from my experience such a high degree of toxicity is rather new.

Back in the days gaming was a lot more controlled by communities too and they could easily filter out the undesired people. People maintained their own servers and had admins monitoring to flush out bad players.

The lower amount of players made moderation a lot easier.