Toxicness is out of control

General Discussion
02/20/2018 05:47 AMPosted by Searaphim
Toxicity came along when gaming became mainstream. The bigger the pool of people the more chances you have to stumble on rotten apples.

02/20/2018 05:45 AMPosted by Hoist
It is a team game so you enable other people's play.

Sure but cooperative games are not a new concept at all and from my experience such a high degree of toxicity is rather new.

Back in the days gaming was a lot more controlled by communities too and they could easily filter out the undesired people. People maintained their own servers and had admins monitoring to flush out bad players.
That is a good point. Most things that are control locally turn out better.
02/20/2018 05:47 AMPosted by Searaphim
Toxicity came along when gaming became mainstream. The bigger the pool of people the more chances you have to stumble on rotten apples.

02/20/2018 05:45 AMPosted by Hoist
It is a team game so you enable other people's play.

Sure but cooperative games are not a new concept at all and from my experience such a high degree of toxicity is rather new.

A game like OW is on a different level when it comes to being cooperative. In most games(shooters primarily) there is high carry potential. In OW, there is still carry potential but even having 1 teammate not doing his job can mean a loss.

That increases the amount of conflicts. Losing is one thing, but losing coz of somebody else is just heavy for most people. And thus very high levels of toxicity. OW community is truly next level when it comes to toxicity.
Also redfury if you ever want to play let me know. I have a few accounts and if you could teach me some doomfist stuff I would appreciate it.
The wife and I have actually been eyeing Fortnite. Whether in Bronze or Quickplay, the toxicity here makes vanilla WoW look tame. Launch game in a good mood, exit game in a bad mood. Never fails any more.
02/20/2018 05:56 AMPosted by Eddimame
A game like OW is on a different level when it comes to being cooperative. In most games(shooters primarily) there is high carry potential. In OW, there is still carry potential but even having 1 teammate not doing his job can mean a loss.

That increases the amount of conflicts. Losing is one thing, but losing coz of somebody else is just heavy for most people. And thus very high levels of toxicity. OW community is truly next level when it comes to toxicity.

I can see Overwatch being more frustrating than a lot of games but I can also think of a few other cooperative games where every single player has a huge impact on the outcome.

Let's face it, Overwatch uses the slap on wrist approach in the worst case scenarios. That's no moderation and doesn't do much to encourage good behavior. But toxicity doesn't stop with Overwatch. You can see it everywhere. So I maintain my past comment.
02/20/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Searaphim
Let's face it, Overwatch uses the slap on wrist approach in the worst case scenarios. That's no moderation and doesn't do much to encourage good behavior.

That's not Overwatch specific, that's Blizzard as a whole and has been since the D2 Bnet and Vanilla WoW days.

Even WoW back in 2005 (since it launched November 2004), was known as a toxic cesspool and one of the worst offenders in the MMO genre.
02/19/2018 10:33 PMPosted by RedFury
Toxicness is out of control, im 29years old, ive been gaming since the age of 12 been semi pro at quake3 and gears of wars 1 & 2. in my entire life ive never felt the need to unsintall a game because of the players among it. i get flamed by 2-3 people at the same time from one game then the other game people wants to group with me cuz they think i did great.. bipolar stuff.

this was my last game of overwatch. ive been playing since beta. 1200hours+.\

a smurf comes in and tells people im throwing in general chat and kids are actually believing him and they followup and i endup with 4-5 guys flaming me. game is over move on to the next and i still get them... the game is awesome but the people.. im done being trash talked at... you guys can hate on each other without me.

It's ok, I know how you feel. I constantly get insulted by players because they think I'm a bad healer even though they never try to protect me..I mean, I can't heal if I'm dead!...but anyway, I really hope this makes you "heal" better.