Bring "Avoid Player" back

Competitive Discussion
People say that "it can be abused" but how?
you avoid player on YOUR team.

this will affect 2 kind of people. those who avoid A LOT and those who get avoided by A LOT. So in such cases, their "longer queue" times might mean something.

side note:
1) avoid player will only be for an period of time (say 7 days). after that, the algorithm will revert that "avoid" parameter

2) you avoid player on YOUR team. So if you avoid a good player, they might play against you, just not in your team.

3) avoid player doesn't mean NEVER MATCH. it means prefer not to have. same effect as "prefer this player" but negative

please share your thoughts on this. I fail to see how it can be exploited.
7 days is a bit long 24 hours should be the max
02/20/2018 09:03 AMPosted by Gohan6
This could actually work - the problem before was good players were being avoided, but if you can only avoid players on your team (while allowing them to still be on the enemy team) you never want to avoid good players, only bad ones/trolls.

The 7 days could work for avoid, though to balance it I'd probably give 2 avoids per day maximum.
It is exploited because people have used it incorrectly with such regularity that you might as well call it "avoid that hero pick".

Every time this topic comes up it's the same circle. Someone says "but I wouldn't use it to block players from being on my team because they picked a hero I don't like" and then the next question is "so give a reason you would use it". Then they list things that are reportable.

So do you have a valid reason that is not something you should instead be reporting them for?

(edit)
and isn't something you should be reported for? Like you are racist or sexist and don't want people who have a accent or are of a specific gender, or really anything else like that.
02/20/2018 09:33 AMPosted by WarmasterCly
02/20/2018 09:03 AMPosted by Gohan6
This could actually work - the problem before was good players were being avoided, but if you can only avoid players on your team (while allowing them to still be on the enemy team) you never want to avoid good players, only bad ones/trolls.

The 7 days could work for avoid, though to balance it I'd probably give 2 avoids per day maximum.

it was NOT being used to remove "good" players. It was used because that player selected a specific hero. It is my understanding that the use of this feature was most commonly used after a hero selection was made, and not at the end of the game because they were actually a good player.
02/20/2018 09:49 AMPosted by IAmSupport
Then they list things that are reportable.

So do you have a valid reason that is not something you should instead be reporting them for?

Why not do both? Not all reports are actioned on. Whether or not Blizzard has determined that offense to be large enough for official discipline, I as a player have determined that that player harms my game experience. I have reported players and have not seen the message that Blizzard had disciplined that player for days and weeks after I made the report. Shouldn't I be able to opt out of that player ruining another one of my games during the period of time it takes Blizzard to actually punish the toxic player?

If this was pickup basketball at the local open gym, and a player isn't on the level...before the park district or gym takes action against the player, the others that paid their entrance fee can choose not to play with that player. Go to one of the other courts and wait for a game. Violating player either gets his !@#$ together or he finds himself ostracized. Seems fair here too.
02/20/2018 09:21 AMPosted by GIR

24 hours might be too little. especially if you only play a few hours each day.

It is exploited because people have used it incorrectly with such regularity that you might as well call it "avoid that hero pick".

just because something is not due a report, doesn't mean you enjoy it. First and foremost OverWatch is a game. And people who play it want to have fun. If someone on the game doesn't let me have fun, why should I play with them?

on the flip side, if I "avoid" a lot of players, then MY queue times will be long, which will indicate that MY behaviour is not good.

you can have the option to avoid player only at the end of the game (as "report player" should be IMO)

long example:
I don't want to play with people that don't talk in voice. So if people don't talk in voice, I choose "avoid player".

this will lead to either
a) nothing, the people I avoid are too small and my queue times will not change significantly
b) People who don't join voice will have their queue times increased. This will only happen if a lot of people avoid such players
c)My queue times will increase. I have avoided a lot of people, so the matchmaker will not find a match for me

if a) then nothing will really change. I will have better games
if b) it shows that the community wants to talk in voice and communicate
if c) it shows that I am a "bad" player and I am "punished" for "abusing" the system.

this will only last for (say) 7 days, so if I end up with them again and they use voice, there is no need for me to avoid them again
Just call it vs player.

Means you prefer to play against that person, not with them.
I actually think putting a time limit on it is brilliant.

Make it so that it's 2 day max.

If you get the player again, and he's still throwing, avoid again.
There should be a way to get avoid player working with safeguards/some "decay" on the avoidance, as Gohan mentions.

The alternative is to give us another method to determine how/who we queue with outside of grouping, or an initiative to encourage regular, larger grouping if they want positive re-inforcement. Playing with the same stack 4 days a week - X% XP bonus or something?
02/20/2018 09:53 AMPosted by Eric
Then they list things that are reportable.

Why not do both? Not all reports are actioned on. Whether or not Blizzard has determined that offense to be large enough for official discipline, I as a player have determined that that player harms my game experience. I have reported players and have not seen the message that Blizzard had disciplined that player for days and weeks after I made the report. Shouldn't I be able to opt out of that player ruining another one of my games during the period of time it takes Blizzard to actually punish the toxic player?

If this was pickup basketball at the local open gym, and a player isn't on the level...before the park district or gym takes action against the player, the others that paid their entrance fee can choose not to play with that player. Go to one of the other courts and wait for a game. Violating player either gets his !@#$ together or he finds himself ostracized. Seems fair here too.

Apples and Oranges, I will work backwards. To correct your analogy if the official rules for Baseketball said "any ball can be used" and then went on to say "any player who goes around saying good game we have a square ball will be suspended" then we would be caught up. The overwatch rules allow for a wide selection of heroes and hero hate has been such a problem that the rules had to be updated to specifically tell people to STOP reporting for it. That didn't work so Jeff had to go on the forums and say it again. When the rules of the game allow for something you can't independantly decide you don't want that in a public competitive match. You can however go play in a private custom game and not allow people to select specific heroes or even do specific things. Also, I am pretty sure that your public gym has rules about allowing all groups of people, even those not "on your level" to play. So also in that case the player who you decided to prevent access to a public court could go to the facilities and then facilities would have to tell you that you are wrong and you can't do that. Now if there are multiple courts and your particular game is not preventing access then sure, but here is where the issue comes up again. Players using this feature were infact preventing players from using the competitive mode. In the case of the widow who made this issue public they infact did go to blizzard and complain and blizzard changed the rules and removed the feature because people were using it to prevent a player from playing the public competitive game mode like everyone else. On so many levels your analogy backfired, but this is enough for you to get the idea.

Next, if you don't get a confirmation about your reporting. Then you are not doing it right. I get so many of these popups and I see them regularly. So I am going to take the most logical next step assumption in that you are also misusing the reporting system, and you should watch out. Blizzard has started to ban players for abusing the system for things that it is not designed for. Like trying to report people for hero selection, or literally just reporting people before the game begins becuase you didn't like them from a previous game.
02/20/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Hammeh
There should be a way to get avoid player working with safeguards/some "decay" on the avoidance, as Gohan mentions.

The alternative is to give us another method to determine how/who we queue with outside of grouping, or an initiative to encourage regular, larger grouping if they want positive re-inforcement. Playing with the same stack 4 days a week - X% XP bonus or something?

What is wrong with grouping up? Why is grouping up not good enough? Why are people trying to find another way to prevent players from playing specific heroes.

Do YOU have a single reason to use this feature that isn't masked in "why can't we" or "I wouldn't misuse it".

Just state your very specific reason and we can have an actual conversation. Not something of "what if's" and "but i wouldn't"
How good is preferring people only to find them on the enemy team :| -would love an avoid player option to avoid being teamed with throwers
02/20/2018 10:23 AMPosted by DaddySenpai
I actually think putting a time limit on it is brilliant.

Make it so that it's 2 day max.

If you get the player again, and he's still throwing, avoid again.

02/20/2018 10:35 AMPosted by Sombra
How good is preferring people only to find them on the enemy team :| -would love an avoid player option to avoid being teamed with throwers

Throwing is reportable. Everyone should be joining in reporting for actual throwing. Not picking a hero, or not being as good as you think you are, but actual throwing. It's very easy to report them, and it gets them a season ban with perma comp ban potential.

Putting them on a private block list does nothing for the community. Where reporting them does help the entire community.
02/20/2018 10:35 AMPosted by Sombra

Throwing is reportable. The option you are looking for is called "reporting". It blocks them from your team, the enemy team, all teams.

02/20/2018 10:17 AMPosted by Macbeth
Just call it vs player.

Means you prefer to play against that person, not with them.

02/20/2018 10:11 AMPosted by Gohan6
02/20/2018 09:21 AMPosted by GIR

24 hours might be too little. especially if you only play a few hours each day.

just because something is not due a report, doesn't mean you enjoy it. First and foremost OverWatch is a game. And people who play it want to have fun. If someone on the game doesn't let me have fun, why should I play with them?

on the flip side, if I "avoid" a lot of players, then MY queue times will be long, which will indicate that MY behaviour is not good.

you can have the option to avoid player only at the end of the game (as "report player" should be IMO)

long example:
I don't want to play with people that don't talk in voice. So if people don't talk in voice, I choose "avoid player".

this will lead to either
a) nothing, the people I avoid are too small and my queue times will not change significantly
b) People who don't join voice will have their queue times increased. This will only happen if a lot of people avoid such players
c)My queue times will increase. I have avoided a lot of people, so the matchmaker will not find a match for me

if a) then nothing will really change. I will have better games
if b) it shows that the community wants to talk in voice and communicate
if c) it shows that I am a "bad" player and I am "punished" for "abusing" the system.

this will only last for (say) 7 days, so if I end up with them again and they use voice, there is no need for me to avoid them again

A player not using voice chat is so not reportable it is literally the example provided for things NOT to report. Having a mechanism to circumvent things blizzard has specifically said not to do... is not a valid reason

Apples and Oranges, I will work backwards. To correct your analogy if the official rules for Baseketball said "any ball can be used" and then went on to say "any player who goes around saying good game we have a square ball will be suspended" then we would be caught up. [...]

if there is a player who plays basketball but never passes, just plays by themselves, and doesn't talk to the team, that is NOT against the rules. But I don't want to play with that player. I want some-one who plays the game with the rest of the team. There are 20 people, and only 5 will be on my team. I'd like to have a say on who is/isn't on my team, other than saying "I want to play with these 3 friends of mine"

so, as we mentioned before, not all actions are reportable.
Hero Hate isn't the big sticking point. While some people do hate specific heros, it is more the infexibility and stubbornness of some players by only being able to play niche heros. No one wants to tell you how to play your game, but playing only one/two heros goes against the objective of Compeditive Play: Win.
To use the basketball analogy: It is not the rules allowing for a square ball (as the ball would affect both teams in the same way), it is more that the rules allow for players to play in high heels, and while some people would do that in a fun match for a laugh (aka QP or Arcade), no one would play a league basketball game in high heels, because it is essentially handicapping you and your team.
Is it prohibited? - No, but it goes against the objective of the gamemode you're playing.

Edit: I should probably add that an the avoid player feature should only be active in Compeditive Play.
02/20/2018 10:43 AMPosted by Gohan6

Apples and Oranges, I will work backwards. To correct your analogy if the official rules for Baseketball said "any ball can be used" and then went on to say "any player who goes around saying good game we have a square ball will be suspended" then we would be caught up. [...]

if there is a player who plays basketball but never passes, just plays by themselves, and doesn't talk to the team, that is NOT against the rules. But I don't want to play with that player. I want some-one who plays the game with the rest of the team. There are 20 people, and only 5 will be on my team. I'd like to have a say on who is/isn't on my team, other than saying "I want to play with these 3 friends of mine"

so, as we mentioned before, not all actions are reportable.

now turn that into a in-game overwatch related story, instead of a hypotentical basketball one, and we can talk about the merits the system not being abused. Just keep in mind how hard it has been to even get to this point because every other post has been exactly as I said it would be. reporting failure, or something you are prohibited from doing (like hero hate)
02/20/2018 10:44 AMPosted by PClark
Hero Hate isn't the big sticking point. While some people do hate specific heros, it is more the infexibility and stubbornness of some players by only being able to play niche heros. No one wants to tell you how to play your game, but playing only one/two heros goes against the objective of Compeditive Play: Win.
To use the basketball analogy: It is not the rules allowing for a square ball (as the ball would affect both teams in the same way), it is more that the rules allow for players to play in high heels, and while some people would do that in a fun match for a laugh (aka QP or Arcade), no one would play a league basketball game in high heels, because it is essentially handicapping you and your team.
Is it prohibited? - No, but it goes against the objective of the gamemode you're playing.

Edit: I should probably add that an the avoid player feature should only be active in Compeditive Play.

The bad analogy should have already been dropped and replaced by actual overwatch issues, but that is the funamendal problem here. There is nothing in overwatch that people can point out as examples.

Also, to use your own bad take on the bad analogy. If the rules said it's prohibited to prevent a player from playing in high heels, and then you petitioned to have the ability to prevent players from doing that.... oh wait that is what you are dong.

Using a new system to circumvent things not allowed by the current rules is not a valid reason.
Just uninstall this toxic game like I did. You'll avoid all the players.