After placements SR based on last season's SR is unfair

General Discussion
Hey guys, so I have a question and a suggestion. On competitive, why is our starting SR based on our last SR for the previous season? I mean I haven't played competitive really in the last 3 seasons because I was trying to improve and widen my hero pool because OW is my first fps and I really suck so I was trying to get better, and when I won most of my placements and really did well in the games I still end up in bronze because of my last performance last season. To me it just seems kind of unfair because the system doesn't take into account how much you've grown in the off-season and just bases your SR on the last season. So why can't we all start fresh or at least not hold us down to only the previous SR and try to compare our performance to those higher ranked players? That's just my thoughts on it tho.
Weird, that wasn't the case in my scenario.
Last season I ended in Low diamond (climbed to around 3300~ but then couldn't play for few weeks and decayed), yet after this season's placement I got placed in high gold.

Last season placement do help to stay in some range, but I don't think they are the main factor.
Season 7 I was at 1500 Silver, and this season I managed to place at 1800. My only trick was to try my best and duo with my plat friend. (We won 7 out of 10 games)
They should reset them a little bit each season - back to 3000 for everyone above diamond. Want your grandmaster rank? You have to earn it - not just do your placements in the last week of the season and end up back at gm where you've been idling since season 4.
02/14/2018 05:05 AMPosted by ginabster123
Hey guys, so I have a question and a suggestion. On competitive, why is our starting SR based on our last SR for the previous season? I mean I haven't played competitive really in the last 3 seasons because I was trying to improve and widen my hero pool because OW is my first fps and I really suck so I was trying to get better, and when I won most of my placements and really did well in the games I still end up in bronze because of my last performance last season. To me it just seems kind of unfair because the system doesn't take into account how much you've grown in the off-season and just bases your SR on the last season. So why can't we all start fresh or at least not hold us down to only the previous SR and try to compare our performance to those higher ranked players? That's just my thoughts on it tho.

The opposite is infuriating. I've hit Diamond almost every season and this time around it decided I was a low gold player.
I don't want a hard reset each season, but I would like placements to either be more meaningful or fewer. How about we only do 5 placement matches instead of 10? They seem rather pointless.
If you actually "deserve" to be in higher Elo because you improved then you should be able to reach gold within a few days and low plat within a week

I was able to do that on my second account where I play different heroes