Can Mercy get + ult charge from amplifying allies damage?

General Discussion
Mercy has a powerful weapon with her damage boost beam, but it often doesn't feel very impactful, so most of Mercys will just play safe and keep the healing beam on. Valkyrie is not an impactful ultimate anymore, so my suggestion is to increase the ult charge you get from allies amplified damage so good Mercys can use Valkyrie more often and not rely on allies taking damage to charge their ultimates.

What do you think?
no
yes she does, its just not as much as healing. try to db during important moments like when your rein is swinging, when zarya gravs or when mccree or soldier ults if you really wanna get ult charge from db.
Why not. Seems logic.
But i think it does already.
Mercy does get ult charge for damage boost, but it's a bit less than from healing.

She gets 4 charge for every 5 healing done, and 2 charge for every 3 damage boosted.

Damage boost feels bland because you don't get to use it that often, especially if you're the only healer. It's also not as consistent as healing, because you can't see how much damage is being done.

I think Valkyrie gives damage boost a lot more utility and makes it feel better. The chain boost makes it more likely that you're actually boosting a decent amount, and it's a big help to pushes.

She already gets her ult fast, so I'm not sure if buffing ult charge more will be balanced. I would like to see some sort of visual feedback that shows how much damage you're actively boosting, though. The hit indicator isn't really enough.
02/18/2018 09:42 AMPosted by FaneL
Why not. Seems logic.
But i think it does already.

I'm not saying it does, I'm suggesting that it gives more charge than it currently do (which from my experience is very low).
i'd prefer if they concentrate improving her current state rather than making her fit into her current state. what i mean is that id rather they change valk to a more engaging ult rather
Depending from damage. For example, damage boosted D.va with ult - +30% ultimate charge instantly. There is little use of damage boosting teammate without ultimate.
Valk is an incredibly useful ult, winning teamfights is an incredibly valuable thing to do, the extremely high mobility is incredibly valuable, Valk is not a bad ult at all. It's not a burst ult, but it is definitely not a bad ult, it's easily one of the best. Maybe not THE best, but top 5 in actual value.

02/18/2018 10:14 AMPosted by Xian396
i'd prefer if they concentrate improving her current state rather than making her fit into her current state. what i mean is that id rather they change valk to a more engaging ult rather

Mercy herself is not that engaging, the only way to force Valk to be more engaging is by nerfing the hell out of it and making it incredibly difficult to use.

I really don't think people understand what they are asking for when they say Mercy's ult is boring and not engaging, then ask for a 2 second stationary state of invulnerability back as an engaging ult instead, or say it's too easy to fly around and heal/boost everything, but then say it's not impactful or engaging enough, and somehow also a weak ult all at the same time.
02/18/2018 10:22 AMPosted by RustyRhames
Mercy herself is not that engaging, the only way to force Valk to be more engaging is by nerfing the hell out of it and making it incredibly difficult to use.

I really don't think people understand what they are asking for when they say Mercy's ult is boring and not engaging, then ask for a 2 second stationary state of invulnerability back as an engaging ult instead, or say it's too easy to fly around and heal/boost everything, but then say it's not impactful or engaging enough, and somehow also a weak ult all at the same time.
Okay. Here's the thing. Mercy's primary gameplay is fun. Zipping across the map between allies, trying to juggle their HP as a whole (not just bringing one hero to full HP, many times you have to prioritize like stopping healing someone mid way just to heal someone else). This is fun. When I say Valkyrie is not engaging because the ultimate removes this part of Mercy's gameplay. There's no need to juggle team HP, you don't need to think who you need to prioritize who to heal during Valk. I never said Mercy's ult wasn't impactful. So when I say to make it more engaging, I simply mean to change it from it's current gameplay of literally just holding mouse button and fly/hide/pray. When I say to make it more engaging I meant that Valkyrie should complement or highlight the player's skill in using Mercy, not do Mercy's job for them. The simplest and easiest way to do this is to increase the output on the main target and lowering the output on the chained targets, so Mercy would be required to do her job of juggling team hp.
The simplest and easiest way to do this is to increase the output on the main target and lowering the output on the chained targets, so Mercy would be required to do her job of juggling team hp.

This is a nice approach, indeed! Would make the ultimate a lot more relevant. To be honest I don't even like the web of beams Valkyrie forms, it's so cluttered and ugly.
People don’t seem to understand how ultimates are actually charged. Ultimates have a set point total that is actually how long an ultimate takes to charge. The meter is just a representation. For example, Coalesence actually costs 2125 points, but Valkyrie costs 1925 points. Coalesence only charges so fast due to Moira’s massive healing output. Healing and Damage are calculated the same way when granting ult charge, 1 point of either=1 point of ultimate charge.

This is important for how Mercy actually gets ult charge with her damage amp. She gets ultimate charge for the 30% of Damage that she provided. For example, If Reinhardt hits a Firestrike for 100 Damage, he will gain 100 points of ultimate charge. If he is damage boosted, Reinhardt will earn 130 ultimate charge and Mercy will earn 30. It is important to remember that your damage boosting target also gets extra ult charge. Even if the ult charge you get seems low, you aren’t the only one receiving it. In total, it is twice the amount that you perceive.
02/18/2018 10:50 AMPosted by SquidKD
People don’t seem to understand how ultimates are actually charged. Ultimates have a set point total that is actually how long an ultimate takes to charge. The meter is just a representation. For example, Coalesence actually costs 2125 points, but Valkyrie costs 1925 points. Coalesence only charges so fast due to Moira’s massive healing output. Healing and Damage are calculated the same way when granting ult charge, 1 point of either=1 point of ultimate charge.

This is important for how Mercy actually gets ult charge with her damage amp. She gets ultimate charge for the 30% of Damage that she provided. For example, If Reinhardt hits a Firestrike for 100 Damage, he will gain 100 points of ultimate charge. If he is damage boosted, Reinhardt will earn 130 ultimate charge and Mercy will earn 30. It is important to remember that your damage boosting target also gets extra ult charge. Even if the ult charge you get seems low, you aren’t the only one receiving it. In total, it is twice the amount that you perceive.

This is informative, but I'm not sure what you want to tell with this. They can add a multiplier to these actions, so boosted damage gives Mercy 1.5x ult charge instead of 1x.
02/18/2018 04:12 PMPosted by Demi
This is informative, but I'm not sure what you want to tell with this. They can add a multiplier to these actions, so boosted damage gives Mercy 1.5x ult charge instead of 1x.

I think the trouble with increasing ult points for Damage Boosting is it'll make DB a priority over healing, particularly if Mercy is close to Valk mode. Her main role is healing: while it's not to say DB on allies should be ignored, it would incentivize Mercy players to focus more on damage aspects rather than their allies' health bars.
02/18/2018 04:20 PMPosted by Orainon

I think the trouble with increasing ult points for Damage Boosting is it'll make DB a priority over healing, particularly if Mercy is close to Valk mode. Her main role is healing: while it's not to say DB on allies should be ignored, it would incentivize Mercy players to focus more on damage aspects rather than their allies' health bars.

I doubt it honestly. I mean, extra damage isn't that useful if your allies are dead and the damage boost itself isn't that significant. A little extra ult charge wouldn't be all that useful. Really the idea should be to switch to damage after the target is fully healed, so you're not over-healing.

Really the trade-off is between pistol or damage boost. Right now it's actually way better to pull the pistol than damage boost in most cases. A few (like bastion) are exceptions of course.
reading some of the replies i thought it was the other way, damageboosting gives my ult charge XD

Ive been playing mercy all wrong :DD
02/18/2018 04:57 PMPosted by RayneFall
reading some of the replies i thought it was the other way, damageboosting gives my ult charge XD

Ive been playing mercy all wrong :DD

It gives more ult charge both for the ally being boosted and Mercy. The suggestion here is to increase the charge for Mercy.
I personally think it should give ult charge based on resurrect allies since it's so dangerous to pull off now.
That charge rate increases dramatically depending on who the Mercy is boosting. You don't need to boost her ult charge.

If she's boosting a S76 who only has 25% accuracy and is hitting at maximum range for 5 damage per bullet, she's not going to gain a lot of charge quickly. If there's a good hitscan who gets headshots, then she gets as much (if not more) charge as she does from healing because healing simply takes more time with Mercy and damage can be bursty.

If she's boosting a Junkrat who is just hitting 3 to 4 tanks at the same time with every grenade, she gets a lot more ult charge.