Leavers need a stronger punishment.

Competitive Discussion
First leave - 4 HR ban (just competitive) (-50 SR)
Second leave - 24 HR ban (just competitive) (-100 SR)
Third leave - 240 HR ban (all modes) (-500 SR)
Fourth - Banned from competitive permanently.

These are aggregate across any two consecutive seasons.

No more tip-toeing around this issue.
02/19/2018 10:48 AMPosted by DocWolfe

so you’re suggesting eventually they get a 10 day suspension. I dunno about that, I’m all for punishing leavers but that’s a bit much
02/19/2018 12:54 PMPosted by KaoticMonkey

so you’re suggesting eventually they get a 10 day suspension. I dunno about that, I’m all for punishing leavers but that’s a bit much
If the game can tell it's a purposeful leave then this would be fine as a punishment. This would encourage purposeful DCs but it's something.
<Removed by forum moderator for toxicity>
Banned permanently from competitive. Not the game. If someone does not have competitive-quality internet, 11 other players should not suffer because of it.
The punishment for leavers definitely needs to be increased. If they don’t have the internet connection that allows them to play without interruption, they shouldn’t be playing comp. Just like the players that don’t have the temperament to play comp and rage quit, they shouldn’t be allowed to play as well.
02/19/2018 01:08 PMPosted by Player
OP, aka a bronze player, will never think of anyone but himself until the day his internet shorts out 4 times in a season, causing him to be banned permanently.
The game can tell if it's a leaver or disconnects.
02/19/2018 02:56 PMPosted by TurningDrop

No, it can't. How would the game know whether my internet connection dropped, or, I just unplugged my network cable?
02/19/2018 03:09 PMPosted by Kim
No, it can't. How would the game know whether my internet connection dropped, or, I just unplugged my network cable?
This wouldn't apply at all to DCs obviously. Which is a hole in the system but you have to make compromises.
02/19/2018 01:08 PMPosted by Player
OP, aka a bronze player, will never think of anyone but himself until the day his internet shorts out 4 times in a season, causing him to be banned permanently.

You're so adorable. I've had ONE disconnect since overwatch started. If someone has that many, they need to rethink their competitive games. Also, implying rank somehow means a suggestion isn't credible is absurd. Then again, this community doesn't surprise me in absurdness.

I have a fair bit of disappointment with leavers but even I find issue with this.

I have had 4 disconnects, let me relate my story:
1. A few months back my internet dropped out, hadn't happened in over a year, but these things just happen.
2. A few weeks later my computer blue screened. Not wanting to drag my fellow competitive players down I learnt how to use WinDbg and look at crash dumps, I finally figured it was an issue with overheating. I took apart my LAPTOP, found a set of tiny screw drivers and some compressed air and blew all the fluff out of the fins near the exhaust ports. I then made sure to do this every 2 to 3 months. No problems for a while.
3. For whatever reason I had the bluescreen happen again. Cracked open Windbg and it seemed to be an issue with the video. I reinstalled the video drivers and then just played QP to make sure the issue was resolved. It wasn't, so I reinstalled Windows and then tried QP again, eventually it stablised and I was good to go. In your system I would have been banned for 10 days and really worried about the permanent ban.
4. Unfortunately I found out after a few days of stability it wasn't Windows or the Driver, my vid card had given up the ghost. I hung at the end of a match we won 10 seconds later. (I had duo queued, one thing I very RARELY do in comp). I would have been permanently banned now.

I am now playing on my old computer with all minimum settings at 60 fps and am enjoying a regular competitive experience while I wait for my gaming laptop to come back. In your system I would have been banned permanently from competitive.

Now you could argue I should have played with a system I knew that was stable. But I tried everything in my power to make sure it was working, and it just wasn't enough.

I would have hated to be permanently banned. Yes I feel really bad for crashing and harming my team in all occasions, even the one my team won. But sometimes these things just happen :(
Yeah nah.

Way too harsh.

I have fantastic net and even then i'll drop out occasionally because "reasons"

never going to happen OP. Forget it and move on.
I had FOUR leavers in a row yesterday. Two were quitters. The punishment is so small, people leave deliberately. I lost more than 100 Sr in a single day. You know what's funny? I had some 20 something leavers this season. Only three were on the enemy team. I guess I have loss more than 300 Sr this season only due do this issue, not to mention the trolls.

Honestly I can tell you I belong in plat, but I don't play this game only to climb. I play to have fun, and these games don't allow me to have fun at all, much less compete. I don't even feel like playing most of the time, it's just habit.
There would not be as many players leaving if there was not as many players that are not ready to play comp in the least.

I would agree with you if players were leaving games that were actually good and a fight the entire game not one team rofl stomps another because five players that do not understand the way the roles work are on one team.

Basically i am saying it is fine currently because of issues like that and the technical problems of the High Ping problems happening more in Comp then in quick play.
Horrible idea.

I got a decent SR drop and 8 min suspension because I "left" a comp match--my girlfriend had something causing her eye to burn to the point of crying. Her well being is instantly far more important than an OW game. Under your ideas, I should be banned for 4 hrs for caring for another human being.

Yeah, no.
There's far too many complains about anecdotal incidents. Of course you should do whatever is most important in your daily lives, but you do realize it hinders OTHERS. I've NEVER had an emergency, etc when I'm playing games. It's terribly unfair to those who are there to grind up and they get stuck with someone that has 'an emergency'. If you can't totally dedicate to comp., just play QP where you're not directly hindering others. Seems fair to me.
02/19/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Patrickbatem
There's far too many complains about anecdotal incidents. Of course you should do whatever is most important in your daily lives, but you do realize it hinders OTHERS. I've NEVER had an emergency, etc when I'm playing games. It's terribly unfair to those who are there to grind up and they get stuck with someone that has 'an emergency'. If you can't totally dedicate to comp., just play QP where you're not directly hindering others. Seems fair to me.

You DO realize life doesn't operate on a schedule and things suddenly happen unprepared, right? That's kind of the very definition of an emergency.

No one plays comp and then decides out of the blue "Oh hey, I think it's time for that emergency now!" Are you serious?
02/19/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Patrickbatem

Careful, you are adding anecdotes yourself :)

Agree with the rest of your post though. Just remember random events do just happen. It is trivial enough to run an anomaly detection algorithm over competitive disconnects though to determine those who are likely to be abusing the system or have a terribad connection/hardware/life.

Assuming they aren't running anomaly detection over competitive disconnects atm it is a worthwhile thought. There will ALWAYS be false positives in a system but these can be minimized, I'd be far happier getting rid of the majority of the negative elements (which currently have a notable negative impact on the game) than doing nothing at all.
02/19/2018 03:09 PMPosted by Kim
02/19/2018 02:56 PMPosted by TurningDrop

Exactly this, leavers would just unplug thier ethernet or disconnect from WiFi.