Leavers need a stronger punishment.

Competitive Discussion
A better idea would be to not punish the team if someone leaves. For players that just leave because the first point was lost or something, they're the worst. For sudden events, I can't be too mad at that because life happens.

What would be nice is maybe give a small amount of SR instead of an SR loss slap for putting in the time for those that stick around after a leaver. Not talking 20+ gain, but I mean dang I'd be cool with like +5 - +10 SR after a loss cause by a leaver for compensation.

It seriously sucks trying your hardest after a leaver and getting penalized for it. Less focus on trying to ban the leaver and more focus on every one else who stuck it out.
Listen, I don't care about your internet, your girlfriend, or any other reason why you disconnected.

A very firm stance is needed and I like mine.

Oh well.
02/19/2018 05:16 PMPosted by Tapsum!@#$
Yeah nah.

Way too harsh.

I have fantastic net and even then i'll drop out occasionally because "reasons"

never going to happen OP. Forget it and move on.

If you're dropping out occasionally because "reasons", you do not have fantastic net.
02/19/2018 06:55 PMPosted by LX2
02/19/2018 03:09 PMPosted by Kim
No, it can't. How would the game know whether my internet connection dropped, or, I just unplugged my network cable?

Exactly this, leavers would just unplug thier ethernet or disconnect from WiFi.

Why would anyone play over wifi? That's not good for competitive.
02/19/2018 07:25 PMPosted by DocWolfe
02/19/2018 05:16 PMPosted by Tapsum!@#$
Yeah nah.

Way too harsh.

I have fantastic net and even then i'll drop out occasionally because "reasons"

never going to happen OP. Forget it and move on.

If you're dropping out occasionally because "reasons", you do not have fantastic net.

The reason why i said "reasons" is take your pic. Any number of things can happen, a digger can dig up our fibre. Power outage, router decides to be a bum, you name it. Hell we could literally get hit by an earthquake. Lets not forget the times where Overwatch itself is the issue and crashes. Come on dude.

Why would anyone play over wifi? That's not good for competitive.

PREV

Showing a complete lack of understanding in networking my friend, these days there is almost no difference between ethernet and wifi.
If player leaves more than 3 games in a season he should be put in leaver only que.

But that would improve comp.

Cant have that.
02/19/2018 07:23 PMPosted by DocWolfe
Listen, I don't care about your internet, your girlfriend, or any other reason why you disconnected.

Oh well.

Ah, so you don't care about a young teen couple that found themselves in a fatal car accident on an icy night that also hit a telephone pole and knocked out my power. Something like that isn't important in your mind, since it cost eleven other players a fair match in a video game. You're a heartless SOB aren't ya? There are bigger things in the world than Overwatch.

Have fun slumming around in low silver, Mr. Serious.
02/19/2018 10:48 AMPosted by DocWolfe
First leave - 4 HR ban (just competitive) (-50 SR)
Second leave - 24 HR ban (just competitive) (-100 SR)
Third leave - 240 HR ban (all modes) (-500 SR)
Fourth - Banned from competitive permanently.

These are aggregate across any two consecutive seasons.

No more tip-toeing around this issue.

What about being forced to play with the same trolls that screwed you over last game? You know they aren't going to try in this situation I'd want to leave than waste my time with those who just want to have fun screwing around at their own team's expense!
Lol.

I've had people leave my games, and I've had my power die, causing my internet to go poof. AT&T is trash at consistency where I live anyway, causing a disconnect every few days for a game that only half the time I'll be able to rejoin. I've gotten angry at leavers, of course; who hasn't? And I've gotten messages from people who were angry at me for dropping out, for things out of my control. I understand it. I absolutely deserve it. But, honestly, the amount of SR you lose if you're actually trying to win isn't that much, and you can gain it back if you belong in that bracket. On an average day, I'll get a few leavers; it sucks. We all get straight-up leavers and people who unwillingly disconnect due to reasons that make you want to break something in frustration.

But, that said, here's some advice before you devote yourself to going gung-ho in the absolutist mindset. Get off, and then come back to the game when you're level headed, and most of all... git gud. Totally banning people after 4 disconnects -- purposeful, or otherwise -- is overkill. A 50 SR drop and a suspension is plenty for a first offense, and all subsequent offenses are fine the way they are as well.

For actual solutions to this issue, much like Mooshi, I'm all in favor of a system that wouldn't punish the teammates as much when somebody leaves, however that could probably be abused to some extent without proper measures. If or until then, I'm positive that you'll live. So will everyone else for that matter.
02/19/2018 07:43 PMPosted by Stark
02/19/2018 07:23 PMPosted by DocWolfe

Oh well.

Ah, so you don't care about a young teen couple that found themselves in a fatal car accident on an icy night that also hit a telephone pole and knocked out my power. Something like that isn't important in your mind, since it cost eleven other players a fair match in a video game. You're a heartless SOB aren't ya? There are bigger things in the world than Overwatch.

Have fun slumming around in low silver, Mr. Serious.

Wow, what a reason lol. Love these extreme scenarios where someone has experienced deathly harm and that is why you had to leave. That [Edited by Blizzard] is rare, if it happens then take the penalty and move on. If this happens multiple times, you deserve a strong penalty.

There are plenty of things bigger than OW, but is it too much to ask for people playing "COMPETITIVE" to take actually be competitive? And slumming around in low silver? Jeez, you're like a short session from gold. Way to be toxic. As if plat is anything to be proud of.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/
I defietly think that there should be harsher penalties for leavers in overwatch, mostly because right now there isn't anything in place, yeah you lose a little SR but how is that going to discourage people. It should start at something as simple an an hour ban, for both a punishment for the people for are rage quitting or throwing, and so that people who had actual thing come up like faulty internet or personal issues have time to get the sorted and figured out so hopefully it won't come up again, because while yes emergencies do happen, it isn't fair to the rest of the people playing who have to suffer for it as well. Now is there a perfect way to balance it no and there never quite will be, however something needs to get out into place so the actual toxic people in the game are getting penalized. And if your somebody who does have an emergency come up or their internet just crashes then your only going to have to deal with the ban once, unlike leavers who will hopefully, be banned completely from comp.
Intent is completely irrelevant. Whether a person is deliberately or unintentionally disconnecting, it is an equal detriment of their team.

If it is happening consistently, they are either malicious or they are knowingingly playing with a substantial risk of harming the quality of the match.
This is a childish, zero-sum suggestion. Eventually EVERYONE would end up perma banned. No ones is immune to random disconnects no matter how stable you think your setup is. This is only a matter of time. Over time everyone will eventually hit the limits of your rule.

A better idea is for the devs to focus on fixing the things they can actually control, not to punish people for things that neither the devs nor themselves can control. The devs should addreaa the reasons that drive people to leave matches to begin with. They can start with the inability to organize teams pre-match due to lack of social tools for team building. The urge to leave a match may decrease significantly if people arent seemingly forced to play in inherently poorly organized matches with individuals whose personalities they dont enjoy and who can ruin matches with stubborn picks.

Its the entire social experience here that Overwatch fails at.
I support OP. Way too meany leavers and players with bad inet in ranked.

I played this game for 2 years and only time i would get DC is when OW generally has server issues (so i don't do ranked during those days).

I don't find suggested times harsh at all. One leaver on my team means i would need to sit in multiple matches to make up for it. Why am i getting punished harsher than leaver?