Teams matched on Stats vs Sr

Competitive Discussion
I was wondering everyones thoughts on competitive matchmaking taking stats into account rather then just plain sr.
Too many games where your stuck with dps on your team who refuse to switch with barely a 1kd and 14death per 10 min avg.
Not saying stats are the main objective, but they are a clear indicator of if your contributing to your matches vs getting carried.
What character's stats do you consider then? Each hero has very different abilities, and stats aren't always everything. If you play support on a team with very good DPS who barely take damage, are you a bad support?
How would that work though? I have good stats on Zarya. But those stats wouldn't be good in a GM game. But looking at the numbers alone. I have stats equal to a GM player. My stats are based off silver, gold, and platinum matches. Not master or GM matches. The matchmaker wouldn't understand where I'd go. It needs another way to determine that.
02/19/2018 11:01 AMPosted by Kniex
I was wondering everyones thoughts on competitive matchmaking taking stats into account rather then just plain sr.
Too many games where your stuck with dps on your team who refuse to switch with barely a 1kd and 14death per 10 min avg.
Not saying stats are the main objective, but they are a clear indicator of if your contributing to your matches vs getting carried.

I actually agree. Ideally, SR and matchmaking would be based on performance and stats. As it stands, SR is a bit meaningless and superficial, especially with the mixing of groups with solos.

Think you'll get better teammates by performing well? The opposite is true. They'll stick you with worse teammates as a handicap.

The mystical "MMR" system simply handicaps each team to achieve a 50/50 win chance for each.
02/19/2018 11:11 AMPosted by pzero24
What character's stats do you consider then? Each hero has very different abilities, and stats aren't always everything. If you play support on a team with very good DPS who barely take damage, are you a bad support?

Stats are pretty much everything. If you consistently get gold medals at healing, you're probably a good healer. If you consistently get gold damage at DPS, you're likely quite good. If you block a lot of damage as Orisa/Rein, you're doing your job. Performance stats should be weighted based on each hero's function(s). It would be more complicated and difficult to implement though, so it probably won't happen and we'll just have to deal with MMR handicapping.
02/19/2018 03:40 PMPosted by JTMoney
Think you'll get better teammates by performing well? The opposite is true. They'll stick you with worse teammates as a handicap.

The mystical "MMR" system simply handicaps each team to achieve a 50/50 win chance for each.

No it doesn't. That isn't even remotely how it works.

Stats taken into account look at the average hero (that you are playing), at your rank. If you are better than the average, you gain more/lose less. If you are worse the opposite is true. All you have to worry about is being better than the average at your rank.
GM player and a plat player might have the same stats. GM player could of got rolled and maybe 5 kills was gold. a plat play could have rolled another team and got 30 kills gold.

this system= plat player>GM player