GTX 1060 cant get above 30fps!

Technical Support
02/19/2018 06:06 PMPosted by Dubious
02/19/2018 05:58 PMPosted by Carman

I don't have a proper monitor yet so I'm running at 1360x768. Could that be the problem?

Is it a monitor? a tv? How many hertz does the display run on?

It is a tv and the display is 60hz
I've ran a gtx 1060 3gb @ coreclock 2088mhz and vram at 4303mhz @ 1.8 volt with:

i7 2600 and 16gb ddr3: +/- 120 fps

Amd FX8350 16gb ddr3: 150fps

Ryzen 1600x 16gb ddr4: 200 fps

fxaa and setting low some medium.

You have to make sure every thing is running cool aka not to hot.
I got a GTX 1060 2gb, my FPS never drops below 70. It would be higher but I locked it at 70 in the settings

So its certainly not the card. Your processor also far surpasses the minimum requirement to run the game.

Did you install the video card drivers when you put the video card in your computer?

Without video card drivers your computer is more or less not using your video card.

Follow this link, it's Nvidia's driver tool that detects your video card and gives you the correct drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

Also, how much RAM do you have out of curiosity?
I get mad screen tearing without vsync so 60 solid here on my 1060 6gb
02/19/2018 06:14 PMPosted by Fartbiscuits
I get mad screen tearing without vsync so 60 solid here on my 1060 6gb
Better to turn off Vsync and set a custom frame rate limit.
02/19/2018 06:12 PMPosted by Meowcenary
I got a GTX 1060 2gb, my FPS never drops below 70. It would be higher but I locked it at 70 in the settings

So its certainly not the card. Your processor also far surpasses the minimum requirement to run the game.

Did you install the video card drivers when you put the video card in your computer?

Without video card drivers your computer is more or less not using your video card.

Follow this link, it's Nvidia's driver tool that detects your video card and gives you the correct drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

8GB RAM

I believe i've found the issue. It says on overwatch im running of intel HD Graphics 630. Im assuming this should say GTX 1060. If this is the issue, how do i change this?

And as for my drivers id assume its all set up as i bought the desktop already made and "and ready to use"
02/19/2018 06:23 PMPosted by Carman

8GB RAM

I believe i've found the issue. It says on overwatch im running of intel HD Graphics 630. Im assuming this should say GTX 1060. If this is the issue, how do i change this?

And as for my drivers id assume its all set up as i bought the desktop already made and "and ready to use"
your tv has hdmi. you probably use the hdmi port from your motherboard.

8GB RAM

Make sure the only cable from your computer to your display is connected to the graphics card.

Drivers are always updated, make sure you're always using the current ones.
What do you get on other games? Is it just a problem for OW?
LEL

Wut a Consle nooB
Evr HEarD of FraME RatE CAppInG
Until I upgraded my PC, I had a gtx 770 with an i-7 4770k (not overclocked), and was able to maintain a stable 144fps on low settings. So you should definitely be able to easily get the numbers you're looking for. Try the suggestions others have mentioned. Definitely make sure you are plugged into your GPU and not the on-board graphics, and make sure you don't have your frames capped at 30fps.

Also, there is another option under "resolution" in your video settings. Make sure the number in parenthesis at the end is not 30. Set it to as high as your monitor will allow (ie 60, 120, 144).
GTX 1060 here. I'm having 170~200 FPS with high res. You're doing something wrong.
Plug your hdmi / displayport / dvi / whatever into the video card and not the HD graphics.

8GB RAM

As others pointed out, you likely have your monitor/tv plugged into your motherboard and not the video card.

Here's a image that should give you the idea. Most computer cases are designed more or less like this, so assuming yours is likely similar you want to make sure you're plugging your monitor/tv into the correct port located in the red circle: https://i.imgur.com/58TJG7o.png
make sure if you're on a laptop that its connected to the charger and that in general you dont have a program blocking more fps also you didnt tell us if its locked up to 30 or not (and disable vsync)
Make sure your monitor is plugged into your gpu, not motherboard.
Is everything plugged in properly

(Worth checking I guess)
02/19/2018 10:42 PMPosted by Meowcenary

8GB RAM

As others pointed out, you likely have your monitor/tv plugged into your motherboard and not the video card.

Here's a image that should give you the idea. Most computer cases are designed more or less like this, so assuming yours is likely similar you want to make sure you're plugging your monitor/tv into the correct port located in the red circle: https://i.imgur.com/58TJG7o.png

Being entirely new to pc gaming you’ve helped me out a lot. That picture has explained everything for me and I’m now running 70fps+. Thank you so much for your help