Am I Doing Trash Damage with Moira?

General Discussion
In many of my Moira games, I get gold damage. Along with gold healing, gold kills etc. This is at gold rank.

I'd like to think this is a good thing. But since I spam a lot of orbs, is it possible that I'm just feeding ult to the healers? Or is there point where you have to say "Screw it. I'm just gonna throw out damage and hope people die"?
02/15/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Bhagwad
In many of my Moira games, I get gold damage. Along with gold healing, gold kills etc. This is at gold rank.

I'd like to think this is a good thing. But since I spam a lot of orbs, is it possible that I'm just feeding ult to the healers? Or is there point where you have to say "Screw it. I'm just gonna throw out damage and hope people die"?

Yes. Damage orbs just feed.

Ok so looking at your career profile, you play like a dps WAY too much and you need to heal a lot more. 690 career high coelesence healing per game? That’s horrible, use it more to heal then to dps. Healing > Damage as moira, especially in gold rank
It is pretty easy to dish out a lot of trash damage with Moira. Especially with her damage orb that can lock on to multiple targets and is easily healed back up. Or that you have to deal damage in order to recharge your own healing so you may not be finishing those targets off who in return may be healed up.

There is also a possibility that you are focusing too much on killing targets with Moira rather than healing your team which is also hurtful. Her healing abilities are more powerful than her damaging ones. Biotic grasp does 50dps or 80hps with a heal over time. Orb does 50dps for a max of 200 or 75hps for a max of 300. Coalescence does 70dps or 140hps. So if you are choosing to damage too often then your teammates might not be getting the healing they need to perform well. Which could mean less medals for them and more medals for you.
heal/use heal orbs more
if you're low on healing , use your healing orb and spam right click to refill while your orb does some healing for the team
don't be afraid to use your ult to heal , it charges super fast and can be used A LOT especially to start engaging it's great
use damage orb to finish someone off/ if you need to defend yourself against a flanker in 1v1/recharge with a sheild in the way
Damage orbs are great for helping to kill squishy heroes that you can also hit with your grasp. Throwing an orb into a group that your team isn't hitting is probably only going to feed them. And if your team is hitting them you are probably better off throwing a healing orb.
02/15/2018 12:24 PMPosted by Nerfy

don't be afraid to use your ult to heal , it charges super fast and can be used A LOT especially to start engaging it's great

I will stress that and say PLEASE use your ult to heal. It does so much healing that it can be hard to stop your push when you're healing all the damage they're throwing out.
02/15/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Smartboard

Ok so looking at your career profile, you play like a dps WAY too much and you need to heal a lot more. 690 career high coelesence healing per game? That’s horrible, use it more to heal then to dps. Healing > Damage as moira, especially in gold rank

Thanks for the feedback. It's true I haven't figured out how to use Moira's coalescence effectively yet. I haven't found a great "use case" for coalescence really. Like Zen's transcendence can be used to nullify so many ults. Zarya's graviton is combo'd with other damage ults. Etc etc. For many heroes, I know what their ult is supposed to achieve. With Moira, I just kind of wing it. I'm open to education on this matter.

You're saying it's best to save it for use on injured teammates. I'll try and keep that in mind. I do get my ult pretty fast though. Maybe 4-5 times per game. So I sometimes just throw out coalescence whenever.

I do take care to always heal before general damage though. However, one of the reasons I play Moira is so that I can save my team from flankers like Genji, Tracer...and even Pharah. My aim is pretty bad, so Moira allows me to be effective against these heroes. Without me, I can't rely on anyone else to do that job!

So I'll often throw out a healing orb and start damaging the Genji. In the absence of those flankers however, my first job is to heal the team...And I'll try and improve on that by waiting for my team to be at low health in a team fight before using Coalescence.
As a healer when I see a damage orb flying at my team i think. Oh 10% ult charge!

So yes. If you are throwing an orb in the general vicinity of the enemy team that isnt under considerable fire. You are feeding the enemy healer.

The healing orb is far more powerful than the damage orb. It keeps you alive vs flankers as well. And your teammates if they come under fire. I only use the damage orb if there is a focus fire target that needs to die right now.

E.g. ulting genji.
Her damage orb is great for cleaning up at the end of a fight, but yeah it's really easy to spam if for trash damage. If we're going into a fight fresh I'll usually save it so I can using the healing orb instead so there's that much more healing during a fight when we're grouped up or occasionally shoot it off after a friendly Genji or Phara if they're out of my M1 range.

Even if you prioritize using the healing orb you can still get gold damage for her since her leech really helps when you team up with a team mate.
The answer likely depends on if you are playing in coordinated play or not.

Moira's orb can easily feed vs coordinated play (if a team/the tanks masses the damage is spread across everyone and isn't hard to heal but, against uncoordinated play it can tear stuff up.

Generally speaking, from my experience gold damage Moira = bad team. Moira doesn't do great damage even if you are on a team with no healer beyond a pure dps Moira the dps on your team should still be able to out dps them.

Your stats suggest you heal a bit too little and your ults probably isn't healing quite as much as it could be but, the stats sites aren't reading that many of your competitive games so that may be off.

How bad feeding is also depends on what healer the enemy team has, if they already have ult, if you have ult, and how good the other teams healer is.

While healing gives them ult, doing damage gives you ult. If they already have 100% ult it doesn't really matter letting them heal more if doing the damage gets you up to ult. (Provided you aren't going to need the healing orb in the next few seconds.)
But since I spam a lot of orbs, is it possible that I'm just feeding ult to the healers?

Yes you are, but you are also feeding your own ult charge and refilling your healing ability. Net gain in most situations.

Just be smart about it. If you know the damage won't help kill anyone and you don't need the ult charge or heal meter filled.. don't throw it. Otherwise, have at it.
02/15/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Smartboard

He just played 6 mins. Check QP stats.

Edit: The person who downvoted this has issues. Poor person.
My general plan to play moira:

1. Before a fight starts, throw damage orb into a group of enemies.
2. When teams are brawling, throw healing orb and use primary fire to heal, and replenish energy in between with secondary fire. When doing damage, your primary purpose is to deny flankers like Genjis and Tracers some space so its hard for them to do work. So when using secondary fire, your priority target should be
Genji/Tracer > Enemy Supports caught in the fight > Other Squishies > Tanks > Barriers
3. Unless you are chasing down a target that is lower than 50hp, do not use fade to move forward, always use as a get away tool to move backwards or toward a safe position or healthpacks. Sometimes your second support player needs help and it's also good to try to fade to close the distance and save him.
4. Do not intentionally throw orbs at enemy D.Va
5. Your ultimate charges pretty fast. Only use it in a winnable team fight. If you are trying to 1v4 or 1v5 the enemy without healing your team, you are using it less efficiently. Of course, the exception being that if the enemies are all caught in the graviton surge, then by all means press Q!
6. Whenever you run out of energy, tell your team so they can get another source of healing in between fights.

Disclaimer: These are purely personal tips coming from a Masters moira player, as there will be slight discrepancies for gameplay between the ranks. Moira lacks power in healing if teammates are overextended, thus I actually understand why you think you do damage too much. Teammates that are close to you and grouped up are much less likely in need of healing than overextended ones. In any case, try to play around the team and prioritize healing when possible.
Using the damage orb on cooldown when the enemy team is setup and you're not pushing = feeding and trash damage.

Throwing the damage orb on a coordinated push to add your damage to the pile or using it to secure a kill on an enemy who is low is NOT trash damage.

Basically, make sure your healing is generally higher than your damage at the end of the game or you're not focused on healing enough. After that, look at your Elims vs. Final Blows. Securing kills is your utility and your second job after healing, if the two are close and you have Gold elims, your damage isn't trash damage. If you have zero final blows and 40 elims then yeah, probably mostly trash.

She's deceptively hard to play correctly, tbh.
If you are getting gold elims to back up the damage while still maintaining gold heals and keeping your team mates alive, then I believe you are playing Moira correctly. If you also have gold point time and objective elims, that works even better.
02/15/2018 01:10 PMPosted by SnootBoop
Using the damage orb on cooldown when the enemy team is setup and you're not pushing = feeding and trash damage.

I respectfully disagree. Only when you have your ultimate ready, it becomes trash damage. Moira's ultimate is a fast charging support ultimate that can win fights alone if used correctly. So I wouldn't care if I give the enemy supports ultimate charge if I can get my own support ult 10-15% charge.
02/15/2018 01:18 PMPosted by IcyX
02/15/2018 01:10 PMPosted by SnootBoop

I respectfully disagree. Only when you have your ultimate ready, it becomes trash damage. Moira's ultimate is a fast charging support ultimate that can win fights alone if used correctly. So I wouldn't care if I give the enemy supports ultimate charge if I can get my own support ult 10-15% charge.

This could be absolutely true, I'd be interested in seeing actual numbers but if your Ult gets more charge from the damage you do than the enemy healers get from healing it off then you should be doing it. If not, you shouldn't, depending on whether you're on attack or defense. Getting Coalescence at the cost of giving Zen his Ult is worse than a wash in most cases. Yes, hers is insanely good at leading a push but Zen's stops the push entirely so...

Literally one of the reasons she should be nerfed right here. ^^
02/15/2018 12:35 PMPosted by go123452
As a healer when I see a damage orb flying at my team i think. Oh 10% ult charge!

So yes. If you are throwing an orb in the general vicinity of the enemy team that isnt under considerable fire. You are feeding the enemy healer.

This is a refreshing reply. All the complaints about how powerful her damage orb is and then we have a healer who welcomes the tickle.