Ana needs to not be awful in leagues under GM

General Discussion
02/19/2018 01:45 PMPosted by idSurge
02/19/2018 12:29 PMPosted by Dragon
As the title states, Ana should not be designed so awful for the lower leagues.

If Tracer or McCree is viable in Gold, then Ana shouldn't be so sub-par in that league either.

Why?

Because that makes Ana the only character in the game that can't be played until GM-pro level.
02/19/2018 01:34 PMPosted by Dragon
The point of the post is to say that Ana probably shouldn't have the highest skill floor in the entire game, but she does. She's so hard, she's ineffective even in GM.

Tracer, Genji, McCree, etc can all be good at Gold or Plat, Ana is not. Ana doesn't even start to get good until at GM level.

That's the problem.

A character, especially a main healer in a game which only has 3 main healers, should not be unusable until the highest tier of play. And even then, she's rarely the best choice up there and people only play her because they like her in most cases.

02/19/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Joe
No. This would RUIN Ana. She is meant to be high skill floor. DEAL with it. Ana is viable in GM, btw. You just need to adapt.

But other high skill characters are viable in lower skill tiers, why should Ana be the only hero that doesn't become viable until the highest level of play? And on top of that, she is still the most suboptimal support choice.
That is what happens when you have a healer with high skill floor.
The healer role is already not very appealing to begin with.
02/19/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Joe
No. This would RUIN Ana. She is meant to be high skill floor. DEAL with it. Ana is viable in GM, btw. You just need to adapt.

If Ana were a DPS like Tracer I could somewhat sympathize with this opinion.

But there are five healers in this game. Five. Effectively locking one off until you reach the last 1% of SR because of an unnaturally high skill floor is silly. It's a totally fixable problem.
The thing about her is that her skill requirement doesn't directly translate to immense advantage compared to other supports. She is still a healer at the core, and even if you keep topping your DPS/Tanks, if they can't score kills, then you're not making much of a difference. Yes, you can land nades, sleeps and try to score skills yourself but for much less effort and skill, a Moira (especially on lower tier games) can carry games while still healing the team. Even Zen can 'carry' games better in low ranks. Played at low ranks, if you only focus on purely healing playing a Mercy nets you the same result with much less skill and effort required.

Not to say she is bad in any way, she can definitely make some huge plays with sleeps and nades in a coordinated team, but the primary healing alone is too much work for meh rewards when you can achieve the same and more with the likes of Moira. People would argue Moira needs a nerf, but I'd rather see more incentives to play Ana than constantly nerfing every top supp at the moment.

I love playing Ana is QP, but I simply think I'm gimping the team playing her in comp as a primary healer when I can take something else. Yes I am still not good enough at her, but that shows the huge skill discrepancy between the supps in low ranks.
I think they are tweaks they could make to her to lower her skill floor without affecting the skill ceiling too much. But in Ana's case isn't she also struggling at the GM level? It's not like Widowmaker.
02/19/2018 12:44 PMPosted by Avian
I actually have no problem with certain heroes being so hard that they are only effective in the highest ranks but those heroes better be dominating in those ranks as well.

I agree. With Ana's kit, I expect her to be less effective in lower level, but being so bad that even GM barely play her is discouraging.
02/19/2018 06:07 PMPosted by Miscanadian
02/19/2018 12:44 PMPosted by Avian
I actually have no problem with certain heroes being so hard that they are only effective in the highest ranks but those heroes better be dominating in those ranks as well.

I agree. With Ana's kit, I expect her to be less effective in lower level, but being so bad that even GM barely play her is discouraging.

But if that’s the case, McCree and Tracer should be unusable until gm. However, that’s not the case... at all

The way it is right now, Ana is essentially the hardest character to play in the game by a large margin, statistically