Is Doomfist really weak?

General Discussion
That's a legit question. I see an amount of topics about Doom and how he's underpowered, inconsistent etc... The most said argument is that he stands still when uses Rocket Punch, but like, he just uses it for mobility. When he uses to kill is when he's safe.

So. I partially agree with the inconsistent part. He's highly reliable on his abilities indeed, but a high skilled Doomfist almost never misses.
I'm a support main. All Doomfist I encounter simply flank, Seismic Slam, Rising Uppercut, shot, shot. Sometimes he just does one shot. Sometimes you're 175HP, then a fully charged slam + uppercut is enough. Even if he fails, well, Rocket Punch to leave or Meteor Strike to continue and restart the combo.
This gives no reaction time to the opponent. Even on top 500.

If I play Ana or Moira, I can avoid this combo (but the times he has Meteor Strike he kills me anyway). I can only play Mercy against him if I have vertical mobility, because all his abilities but his ult cancel Guardian Angel. Lúcio and Zen? I don't even dare to play them.
He's already my top 1 threat when I play support.

But like, I'm not saying all these because I want nerfs. As I said, I know he can be countered. The actual question is: does he really need buffs? He received a buff for consistency, and now he's going to receive a buff to his "reload".
I believe Doomfist will become a nightmare this way...
He needs buffs if you don’t want to spend A LOT of time learning him. He requires more patience than other characters in my experience. I have maybe 5-6 hours on him and I’m only just getting comfortable. I use his crazy building vaulting exploits and all, but the discipline is real.

On the other hand, he is very formidable once mastered. The Doomfist masters are terrifying to behold and make you rethink buffing him.

I’d say his numerous buffs should be fixed before attempting other balance changes, but I doubt it’ll happen that way.
02/18/2018 10:14 PMPosted by BusterWolf
That's a legit question. I see an amount of topics about Doom and how he's underpowered, inconsistent etc... The most said argument is that he stands still when uses Rocket Punch, but like, he just uses it for mobility. When he uses to kill is when he's safe.

So. I partially agree with the inconsistent part. He's highly reliable on his abilities indeed, but a high skilled Doomfist almost never misses.
I'm a support main. All Doomfist I encounter simply flank, Seismic Slam, Rising Uppercut, shot, shot. Sometimes he just does one shot. Sometimes you're 175HP, then a fully charged slam + uppercut is enough. Even if he fails, well, Rocket Punch to leave or Meteor Strike to continue and restart the combo.

If I play Ana or Moira, I can avoid this combo (but the times he has Meteor Strike he kills me anyway). I can only play Mercy against him if I have vertical mobility, because all his abilities but his ult cancel Guardian Angel. Lúcio and Zen? I don't even dare to play them.

But like, I'm not saying all these because I want nerfs. As I said, I know he can be countered. The actual question is: does he really need buffs? He received a buff for consistency, and now he's going to receive a buff to his "reload".

All of his abilities leave him personally very exposed to any stun effect, and none of them stop you from using a movement ability to get away from him mid combo or shooting him in his rather large hitbox and face as he's floating along with you after an uppercut.

An escape punch would still require charge time and he is a glaring giant beacon of where he is no matter what he's doing so if he dives your team in any area, they will see him and they will have plenty of opportunity to stun/shoot him.

Even RP still allows people to use movement abilities on the moment of wall impact, for whatever reason there's a .5 second window between the stun and the wall where people can use their movement ability to avoid impact. I only say this because RP is the only one of his abilities that actually applies a stun, the others have CC, but they don't actually prevent or delay the victim from doing anything.
I wouldn't say he's really weak, I just feel his ability to survive and take damage doesn't reflect his physical presence, at all. 250 health? It doesn't make sense.

300, I would understand, but 250 seems off. Compare his size to Zarya.
I don't play Doomfist because he is a melee hero and I mostly play aim-based heroes. But he is actually a really strong hero and always was strong aside from the bugs that prevented his attacks from connecting. Now that the bugs are fixed I am seeing more and more Doomfists in competitive games as legitimate DPS.

He is strong, but he is not easy. If he were easy, I would play him. He has a high skill floor, but anyone who has taken the time to learn him can really rip through a whole team.

For people saying he has no survivability, I would say his passive seems to do an excellent job of keeping him alive. As for his role as a DPS, he is comparable to McCree in that he is reliant on healers to keep him up and tanks to make space for him so he isn't obliterated as soon as he engages. Doomfist should absolutely die if he goes in alone. But if he's pocketed by a healer and has tanks diving with him, it's game over.
02/18/2018 10:38 PMPosted by RustyRhames

All of his abilities leave him personally very exposed to any stun effect, and none of them stop you from using a movement ability to get away from him mid combo or shooting him in his rather large hitbox and face as he's floating along with you after an uppercut.

An escape punch would still require charge time and he is a glaring giant beacon of where he is no matter what he's doing so if he dives your team in any area, they will see him and they will have plenty of opportunity to stun/shoot him.

Even RP still allows people to use movement abilities on the moment of wall impact, for whatever reason there's a .5 second window between the stun and the wall where people can use their movement ability to avoid impact. I only say this because RP is the only one of his abilities that actually applies a stun, the others have CC, but they don't actually prevent or delay the victim from doing anything.

It's not "prevent". It's cancel.
Once I see him or hear SS/RP coming, my reaction is to use Guardian Angel and I do. But if he hits me, Guardian Angel is canceled and the cooldown is not reseted.
No.
He's not weak, he's just covered in butter so he slips right past his Rocket Punch targets.
He has one of the biggest non-tank hitboxes and is restricted to close range combat only, relying on his abilities hitting for any kind of survivability

Stuns and Sombra ruin him entirely, playing Doom into Roadhog is a death sentence
There is a small reaction time box for you and its very easy to kill him if you're fast enough while he's doing his combo.
I think he'd be in a far better spot if his survivability weren't so horrendous. There isn't a single part of his kit that doesn't involve kamikazeing into the enemy team and hoping he won't explode. I find him unplayable without a Zarya to help you.

I have yet to understand how they could possibly think a melee hero with an off tank's hitbox could survive with only 250 HP and a passive that he can't even use to its max.

He can currently generate +30 barrier HP per enemy hit with any of the three abilities, meaning he can get at most 90 HP out of it in one rotation against a single enemy (capping at 150 barrier HP). Good luck hitting more than one enemy without dying almost immediately.

Given how fat he is all that extra health means absolutely nothing, and if he doesn't oneshot his target he is toast due to his cooldowns and the fact that it's impossible to miss him.

He needs some changes. He is like playing genji if 1/2 of the enemy team was Winstons. Like 3/6 Winstons.

He is a big target with only a moderate health pool. He is short range dps in a world of long range everything.

Fixing his LMB will help. I think it needs more ammo on top of the spread reduction. And maybe just shrink his character model 20%. Or up his shields...maybe just give him 50 default shields. So he has some self sustain if he is careful.

I think you need to draw comparisons to the other DPS heroes in order to decide what he needs.

Doomfist relies on surprising his opponents, either from high ground or from flank. This is because he has NO long range damage. He cannot poke and do damage before engaging, he has no tools to do so. If you are playing on support and having problems with Doomfist, it's probably due to lack of communication or you staying too far behind your team. Doomfist can do a good amount of burst damage up close, but that's balanced by his enormous hitbox.

Doomfist has only 1 favorable match-up vs. other DPS heroes, and that's Soldier 76. Soldier 76 arguably adds more to the team because he doesn't rely on being up close, he has utility (healing) and he spends significantly less time running back from spawn (check the stats).

The problem with current Doomfist, is that no matter how skilled you get with him, he is riddled with bugs. More than any other hero, Doomfist cannot afford to have bugs. If it costs him the kill, it usually costs him his life.

Doomfist when he debuted was strong because he was good against the old DvA and Winston. Current DvA absolutely destroys Doomfist. Then they buffed Junkrat who also counters Doomfist and now they buffed his HARD counter, Sombra. This next coming season, Doomfist will have no place in the meta, and I believe we'll see his pickrate drop even further.
Hes not unplayable but he has A LOT of bugs that are taking an unnaturally long time to fix. Also the thing about him is that any thing he can do, someone can do much better. He hard counters destroy him and in good chunk of the roster soft counters him.
Possible buffs after his bugs are fixed:
Slight health buff
lower cool downs on seismic slam, and uppercut
make rising uppercut deal damage the whole way through
make it so you dont have to glitch the game to get a full power slam
SLIGHT rocket punch hit box increase

any of these would do him wonders

I like to compare him to the original zenyatta. He can be pretty good but is ultimately out shined and a glass cannon.
as a doomfist main,I think everyone kinda underestimate him.
He is like hanzo.If a bad player plays him its throwing,If a good player plays him its carrying
High risk High reward
I think they should just increase the rp hitbox so everyone can be decent with df
I highly disagree with fixes to his survivability. For the tremendous amount of damage he causes and the mobility he has, his low survivability is fair. Even 30 additional shields are enough to kill someone with RP.
02/19/2018 08:58 AMPosted by oddkid
as a doomfist main,I think everyone kinda underestimate him.
He is like hanzo.If a bad player plays him its throwing,If a good player plays him its carrying
High risk High reward
I think they should just increase the rp hitbox so everyone can be decent with df

Extremely high risk for low chance of reward
02/19/2018 09:00 AMPosted by BusterWolf
I highly disagree with fixes to his survivability. For the tremendous amount of damage he causes and the mobility he has, his low survivability is fair. Even 30 additional shields are enough to kill someone with RP.

Tracer has tremendous damage, survivability and mobility...
You're probably better off just playing Genji.
He unequivocally is the worst DPS in the game and that stats show it. There is no scenario where a player of equal skill should ever pick him over another DPS, he's just not as effective or reliable.

He's buggy to the point of Rocket Punch being wholly unreliable. It has a smaller hitbox than Mercy's Pistol and that's if you don't ghost through your enemy. Sure it can one shot but GL doing it reliably or without fully taking the enemy by surprise, if you charge it in a firefight you're a sitting duck. To get maximum use the ability has to be charged for 2 seconds and you have to hit a wall, all while he grunts, groans and glows like a beacon saying SHOOT ME!

He's one of the squishiest characters in the game due to how big he is and how vulnerable his abilities make him, not to mention he needs to be close to do anything at all of value. In addition, his passive is borderline negligible at 30 shields based on where he is in a fight.

They sort of gave him help with his main gun, but he really should have 5 shots instead of 4. Too often Doomfist is left with nothing to attack with in a fight.

His uppercut and slam do marginal damage and due to their longer cooldowns, really don't mesh with the rest of his kit as well as they should. They both should be 6 second abilities at most.

Ultimately, Doomfist doesn't do enough damage which is ironic as that's entirely what he's made to do. You can't sustain any DPS from range so you're left to pick and choose spots where one mistake has you getting mowed down and those mistakes happen often with the myriad of bugs that continue to plague him

Can you be successful with him with practice? Sure, but you'd be more successful with that same practice using Tracer, Genji, Soldier or McCree and that's the truth. He needs a lot of help right now and Blizzard has not done a good job bringing him to where he needs to be.