Is Doomfist really weak?

General Discussion
02/18/2018 10:14 PMPosted by BusterWolf
But like, I'm not saying all these because I want nerfs. As I said, I know he can be countered. The actual question is: does he really need buffs? He received a buff for consistency, and now he's going to receive a buff to his "reload".

I think he needs bug fixes more than anything. I've even gotten used to his tiny rocket punch hitbox for the most part.

I wouldn't really call him weak, because his potential is so high. I would call him a very flawed hero, though. He has a lot of quirks, inconsistencies, and some glaring issues from a design standpoint, imo.
I highly disagree with fixes to his survivability. For the tremendous amount of damage he causes and the mobility he has, his low survivability is fair. Even 30 additional shields are enough to kill someone with RP.

You know I hear this a lot and comparatively he does not cause as much damage as you think. He can burst well sure, but then he has absolutely nothing left and if you missed, bugged out, or made one mistake, you're dead.
02/19/2018 09:06 AMPosted by Dio

Tracer has tremendous damage, survivability and mobility...

Tracer can't one shot someone and is far from having high survivability...
She has only 150 HP and isn't pocketed. Attacking her with your team forces her to retreat or die.
Doomfist has 250 HP, can be pocketed and gain shields every time he hits an ability.
That's a legit question. I see an amount of topics about Doom and how he's underpowered, inconsistent etc... The most said argument is that he stands still when uses Rocket Punch, but like, he just uses it for mobility. When he uses to kill is when he's safe.

So. I partially agree with the inconsistent part. He's highly reliable on his abilities indeed, but a high skilled Doomfist almost never misses.
I'm a support main. All Doomfist I encounter simply flank, Seismic Slam, Rising Uppercut, shot, shot. Sometimes he just does one shot. Sometimes you're 175HP, then a fully charged slam + uppercut is enough. Even if he fails, well, Rocket Punch to leave or Meteor Strike to continue and restart the combo.
This gives no reaction time to the opponent. Even on top 500.

If I play Ana or Moira, I can avoid this combo (but the times he has Meteor Strike he kills me anyway). I can only play Mercy against him if I have vertical mobility, because all his abilities but his ult cancel Guardian Angel. Lúcio and Zen? I don't even dare to play them.
He's already my top 1 threat when I play support.

But like, I'm not saying all these because I want nerfs. As I said, I know he can be countered. The actual question is: does he really need buffs? He received a buff for consistency, and now he's going to receive a buff to his "reload".
I believe Doomfist will become a nightmare this way...

He's not weak.

But a major problem with him, is that unlike other major offense heroes, he can't retreat from a fight or disengage in the same way that Tracer, Genji, Sombra, Pharah, or Reaper can. He doesn't have Soldier's sustain, and he doesn't have the offensive punch, range or stuns that McCree has to eek out a win. Instead, Doomfist succeeds when he hits something and when he can stay in combat to keep his shields up. So - much like a tank - Doomfist gets to be very disruptive and damaging while he's in the thick of things, and he can't run while he's doing that. That means that he needs a little bit more support healing and coverage that most players aren't used to providing or simply don't want to provide to their offensive divers of which Doomfist is one of them.

So Doomfist remains a difficult hero to play and succeed with, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's too weak. A few improvements to his reload or a 1 second reduction in cooldowns to his E and Shift, or better shield generation when he hits a target should help. The more important part, is that he receives help from his teammates. He can't swiftstrike, or blink away from a fight to go find a healthpack (and if your offense is doing that repeatedly, they're struggling with a lack of teamwork), but his damage is far from terrible.
02/19/2018 09:20 AMPosted by BusterWolf

She has only 150 HP and isn't pocketed. Attacking her with your team forces her to retreat or die.
Doomfist has 250 HP, can be pocketed and gain shields every time he hits an ability.

It's almost like.. you've never played Doomfist. Just checked your profile, I'm shocked.
I made a post when I was pretty tilted, it's still on the front page. Yes and no. His bugs are absolutely still there, but they're better than before. He has massive potential and is very rewarding when played right, but he also requires good teamwork. He needs to work with his team, but his team also needs to work with him. He's in a very complicated spot right now, IMO I would at least like to see a buff to his passive or hp.
Seismic Slam doesn’t stop Guardian Angel. Mercy has the easiest time escaping from Doomfist because both Sleep Dart and Fade have longer cooldowns.
02/18/2018 10:26 PMPosted by Nethermoosen
He needs buffs if you don’t want to spend A LOT of time learning him. He requires more patience than other characters in my experience. I have maybe 5-6 hours on him and I’m only just getting comfortable. I use his crazy building vaulting exploits and all, but the discipline is real.

On the other hand, he is very formidable once mastered. The Doomfist masters are terrifying to behold and make you rethink buffing him.

I’d say his numerous buffs should be fixed before attempting other balance changes, but I doubt it’ll happen that way.

I started getting comfortable with genji after 20 hours. 5-6 is nothing.
02/19/2018 09:32 AMPosted by MrPenguin111
I started getting comfortable with genji after 20 hours. 5-6 is nothing.

It's almost as if different people learn and gravitate towards different playstyles at different rates...
02/19/2018 09:20 AMPosted by BusterWolf

Tracer: 3 blinks on low cool down, get out of jail free recall, smallest hit box in game, able to close distance without using her most powerful attack, not buggy, who is also proven to be one of the strongest, if not the strongest in the game.

Doomfist: Tank sized Hit box, moderate Hp, all of his moves have a stagnant pattern making him easy to predict and shoot, has to use his attacks to close distance, moments where everything is on cooldown. easy to dodge attacks. hes practically a suicide bomb with very low reward.
I think he is weak. The tank sized model and low health on a melee hero makes him die too much. Instead of Doomfist, I feel like I could play another DPS hero and get similar or better results with half the risk.
To much of his power concentrated into an ability that doesn't function properly or consistently. He is also balanced around this ability.
So until rocket punch is bug free and performs consistently he will be weak.
Also to people who are saying his bugs have been fixed they actually haven't . Ever since the movement update the old ones have popped up again and new ones were added
I have wondered how certain characters differ from one platform to another. It seems like there are huge differences in how good/bad certain characters are based on where you're playing them. I've always been afraid to mention it, lest I face the wrath of the community.
That's a legit question. I see an amount of topics about Doom and how he's underpowered, inconsistent etc... The most said argument is that he stands still when uses Rocket Punch, but like, he just uses it for mobility. When he uses to kill is when he's safe.

So. I partially agree with the inconsistent part. He's highly reliable on his abilities indeed, but a high skilled Doomfist almost never misses.
I'm a support main. All Doomfist I encounter simply flank, Seismic Slam, Rising Uppercut, shot, shot. Sometimes he just does one shot. Sometimes you're 175HP, then a fully charged slam + uppercut is enough. Even if he fails, well, Rocket Punch to leave or Meteor Strike to continue and restart the combo.
This gives no reaction time to the opponent. Even on top 500.

If I play Ana or Moira, I can avoid this combo (but the times he has Meteor Strike he kills me anyway). I can only play Mercy against him if I have vertical mobility, because all his abilities but his ult cancel Guardian Angel. Lúcio and Zen? I don't even dare to play them.
He's already my top 1 threat when I play support.

I believe Doomfist will become a nightmare this way...
Doomfist doesn't bother me one bit in honestly, i put on my roadhog hat and rain on his parade one could say i enjoy greifing doomfist players
this thread gave me so much more hope for these forums. thank god. every low skilled doomfist player on these forums begs for buffs and changes to make him better, just because they cant handle getting better and want him to be easy.

the first two responses here are exactly the opposite. good doomfist players know how to use him, and dont beg for buffs every day.
02/18/2018 10:26 PMPosted by Nethermoosen
He needs buffs if you don’t want to spend A LOT of time learning him. He requires more patience than other characters in my experience. I have maybe 5-6 hours on him and I’m only just getting comfortable. I use his crazy building vaulting exploits and all, but the discipline is real.

On the other hand, he is very formidable once mastered. The Doomfist masters are terrifying to behold and make you rethink buffing him.

I’d say his numerous buffs should be fixed before attempting other balance changes, but I doubt it’ll happen that way.

As a top 500 Doomfist main (via overbuff), I couldn't have said it better myself.
02/19/2018 09:26 AMPosted by pickledogo

It's almost like.. you've never played Doomfist. Just checked your profile, I'm shocked.

Hey, I've played him. Never in comp, I think, but I've definitely played him.
But still, I know DF's problems. Sometimes he enters in the middle of my team just to die. I also play Sombra, so when I get the chance to hack him he's pretty dead.
That's why I don't want he nerfed. Although, I know his potential to pickoff.

Just now, I was defending on Gibraltar on the highest highground (1st point, that gives access to the bridge). A random DF used RP through the bridge + SS (reached where I was with my team with no vision) + RU + shot and killed me.
How am I supposed to react to that?
I think he's pretty good he just needs big fixes QOL changes and very minor buffs
02/18/2018 11:03 PMPosted by ShellShock
I don't play Doomfist because he is a melee hero and I mostly play aim-based heroes. But he is actually a really strong hero and always was strong aside from the bugs that prevented his attacks from connecting. Now that the bugs are fixed I am seeing more and more Doomfists in competitive games as legitimate DPS.

He is strong, but he is not easy. If he were easy, I would play him. He has a high skill floor, but anyone who has taken the time to learn him can really rip through a whole team.

For people saying he has no survivability, I would say his passive seems to do an excellent job of keeping him alive. As for his role as a DPS, he is comparable to McCree in that he is reliant on healers to keep him up and tanks to make space for him so he isn't obliterated as soon as he engages. Doomfist should absolutely die if he goes in alone. But if he's pocketed by a healer and has tanks diving with him, it's game over.

If you RP someone in a corner of a wall, there might be a chance that the follow up damage won’t connect, despite that RP feels a lot better than it used to.
Still need to learn some of those crazy jumps with RP and rooftops though, I just can’t get the right angle for him to fly.
He does need buffs. Widowmaker (a hero that can instakill other heroes( got a buff, why shouldn't Doomfist?

Besides, I play 10x more effectively on Tracer, Genji, etc. Why use Doomfist when I can just play Genji and have a better ultimate, better mobility, better weapon and better defenses?