Why do DPS main think they get a bad rep?

General Discussion
As the title says. I want to hear from the DPS mains though not just people mad at them.
Do you think you get an unfair rep by the rest of the community?
Because they literally complain when a Tank or Support is able to do their job in respect to healing or blocking damage.
02/19/2018 05:38 AMPosted by Jessicka
Because they literally complain when a Tank or Support is able to do their job in respect to healing or blocking damage.
This. Many complain for nerfs to healing and dmg blocking because it's not press q to win. But then they nerf Tanks and Supports and they come back crying saying not enough heals, Tanks can't block sh!t and best of all I GOT KILLED BY *Insert tank or support name* PLS NERF!!!1!!!1!!!
If their personalities were anything like the heroes they play, it probably wouldn’t be as bad. As a McCree player I’m sometimes a smart aleck, sometimes reserved, sometimes on tilt watching my trickling team but most often happy go lucky. When playing Reinhardt I’ve the patience of a saint but after pushing a payload alone for so long and watching five DD’s always flanking and dying I’ll simply say “Understood” and take a knee to boycott my team’s performance.
Highly Rated
^ Because people lump all DPS mains together and assume we all whine about Moira / Mercy / whatever. We're all also terrible at the game and tunnel vision. We run in blindly and then blame our healers. :P Can't forget that one.

Yep, every single one of us. We're not individuals, nope. Our actions are defined solely by which characters we enjoy playing in a video game.

... Basically, the community falls for stereotypes, and thus, main bias is born. :P
I'd like if people didn't refer to me as a 'DPS' main. I am not a DPS main. I am a Reaper main. I don't care about Tracer or Genji, and I'd love to watch McCree burn.

In fact, personally it doesn't make sense to just use the term 'DPS' main. I can assure you, there is a massive difference between Reaper mains (this one in particular) and Genji mains, there is a massive difference between Pharah mains and Sombra mains, there is a massive difference between McCree mains and Doomfist mains, and so on.
i give it to them because when i ask a tank or a healer nicely to play a different tank or a healer they actually do it. they have at least some variety.

but when i ask the doomfist nicely to swap because hog / pharah / mercy with no punchable walls or targets for him to hit im suddenly the bad guy and im barraged with "you cant make me swap, i paid for this game, i can play how i want".

but when your team is suddenly a dps player down your team kill pressure goes right out the window and you're trapped in a cycle of the enemy team has ults ready to counter your ults and you can never have a competent attack into the enemy team.
02/19/2018 05:47 AMPosted by Reaper
I'd like if people didn't refer to me as a 'DPS' main. I am not a DPS main. I am a Reaper main. I don't care about Tracer or Genji, and I'd love to watch McCree burn.

In fact, personally it doesn't make sense to just use the term 'DPS' main. I can assure you, there is a massive difference between Reaper mains (this one in particular) and Genji mains, there is a massive difference between Pharah mains and Sombra mains, there is a massive difference between McCree mains and Doomfist mains, and so on.

Aren’t you technically a one trick?
02/19/2018 05:43 AMPosted by Crepsly
^ Because people lump all DPS mains together and assume we all whine about Moira / Mercy / whatever. We're all also terrible at the game and tunnel vision. We run in blindly and then blame our healers. :P Can't forget that one.

Yep, every single one of us. We're not individuals, nope. Our actions are defined solely by which characters we enjoy playing in a video game.

... Basically, the community falls for stereotypes, and thus, main bias is born. :P
Playing Mercy yesterday, I did meet the stereotype often. The worst though is healing a D.Va that doesn’t defense matrix incoming damage that I can’t out heal to actually keep her alive. I used the command to tell people to come to me for healing often. Especially when I kept getting killed off by myself because everyone overextended often. It sucks being killed by a diving D.Va or Winston as your DD’s just watch it happen. Literally.

Not to say all are like that. I just go for health packs as McCree. No point in asking for something I won’t get anyway because they’re pocketing a Genji or Pharah. And when as McCree I’m not flanking unless I can sneak a good Deadeye. I prefer staying with my team in the back and helping assist my tanks and supports.
02/19/2018 05:51 AMPosted by MegaLopunny
02/19/2018 05:47 AMPosted by Reaper

Aren’t you technically a one trick?

I am, both on my main (which is also dedicated solely to Reaper) and on this alt account. But is there truly a difference between an X main and an X one-trick? Not really, no.

...And supports complain when a DPS (mostly flanker) is doing their job, how is this a dps thing only ?

But when Ana player complain that they can't defend themself alone against a flanker ? .... It's the flanker's job, no ?
02/19/2018 05:54 AMPosted by Alhaitham

...And supports complain when a DPS (mostly flanker) is doing their job, how is this a dps thing only ?
Maybe I should throw in that there are many, many more DPS and they all also think they're going to be the one who can carry the match so we don't need them to pick up a Tank or Support?
i think genji mains gave us that bad rep
02/19/2018 06:11 AMPosted by Jessicka
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Maybe I should throw in that there are many, many more DPS and they all also think they're going to be the one who can carry the match so we don't need them to pick up a Tank or Support?
says who ?

edit : as in ,where'd you get that info.
I think problem mainly comes from so called dps mains usualy refusing to switch to something that teams needs right now where tank/support main players usually end up playing those roles because they are team players on first place.

Maybe in higher ratings it is bit better but in lower ranks(where majority of players are) you have those Genji/Hanzo and co. mains that won't switch no matter what, would rather roll 5 dps 1 healer and lose than actually try to win. Then there are those Genji mains spamming "heal me me me me" all match and asking on forums to nerf supports.

Ofc not everyone is like this but there are A LOT of such players.

For my part, i fill with whatever team needs (although i prefer sol/reaper for dps) so obviously i end up playing support 99% of the time because nobody wants to play that role usually, not because i am support player. So for someone that plays to win/for team i can't stand people that dop't bring same kind of commitment to ranked.
I feel that I get an unfair rep. Not as much as other dps mains, but I still do even though I'm not the stereotypical dps main. Other dps mains have created a bad image and then the rest of the community has blown those images up and out of proportion. It doesn't matter to me though, I'll still make sure you guys are protected from above.

I think it's a small minority that does this. I see like 20x more threads from tanks and healer mains flaming dps mains than vice versa.

I think it's just projecting the anger from mercy getting nerfed and Ana sucking. The only anti healer threads I see are about Moira, who even Jeff said was OPAF, even though I don't think she is (at least not in a team based scenario. Maybe in deathmatch).
02/19/2018 06:46 AMPosted by mk8000

I think it's a small minority that does this. I see like 20x more threads from tanks and healer mains flaming dps mains than vice versa.

I think it's just projecting the anger from mercy getting nerfed and Ana sucking. The only anti healer threads I see are about Moira, who even Jeff said was OPAF, even though I don't think she is (at least not in a team based scenario. Maybe in deathmatch).
wait what?since when did jeff say moira is OP ?
02/19/2018 06:48 AMPosted by Alhaitham
02/19/2018 06:46 AMPosted by mk8000

wait what?since when did jeff say moira is OP ?

It was as a joke when they announced her. He said the way to spell Moira was "OPAF."