Why do DPS main think they get a bad rep?

General Discussion
02/19/2018 09:31 AMPosted by OGgiraffrey
02/19/2018 09:03 AMPosted by siennarena
My biggest issue (especially in comp) is when you pick your character. Say a tank or defense and you were one of the first two to pick. The next four 4 all pick DPS.

What possible logic do you have to not pick what is needed like a tank or healer? And if I wanted to teach them a lesson by not swapping I would but I would just be assisting them in throwing.

See this also starts issues. I’ll try to instalock what I want, usually dps and see if the team flexes to me. If not I’ll flex myself, but this idea of I have the better internet connection and was able to pick dps first so now you have to play tank and healer muahahaha, is just ridiculous. Just because you go dps first doesn’t give you the right to not have to flex.

I'm referring to when you are still on the character selection screen and there is perhaps 5 seconds left until the count-down for attack/defense starts. If you're the last one and see that a healer is needed, there is no reason to pick DPS.
That's just as selfish as saying "Well my internet is better and I picked first." There's text chat and microphones. If you would like to switch a role with someone say so instead of being flat out rude and picking something that isn't needed to try to force someone else to flex to you.
The bipartisan nature that has been created in the light of recent overwatch balance changes has fueled this stereotype.

It used to be Ana mains, Genji mains, Mercy mains.

But now the supports are truly banding together for the first time to say enough is enough.

That fueled the us vs them mentality thag has created this rift today.

For those dps mains that really havent done much to warrant the stereotype, sorry for the collateral damage, but with a rift this large, you end up falling on a side. So we have tanks mostly falling on the supports side, and the rest of the dps falling on the flankers sides, which seems to be what is indeed going on in these forums.
https://imgur.com/FzwIKWj.png
02/19/2018 05:53 AMPosted by Reaper
02/19/2018 05:51 AMPosted by MegaLopunny
Aren’t you technically a one trick?

I am, both on my main (which is also dedicated solely to Reaper) and on this alt account. But is there truly a difference between an X main and an X one-trick? Not really, no.

So no difference? Okay you are a Reaper main and also a one trick. Reaper is part of the DPS class. By my calculations, you are a DPS main.

Smile :)
After the nerf to Ana's grenade, she was in a more balanced state for how the game was being played at that time.

Mercy was buffed and an actual viable pick, Dive was becoming the new go to meta; BUT Ana was still the most picked support in higher comp levels (Almost like the highest skill cap hero SHOULD be picked by the higher ranks but whatever)

So people STILL complained, and they listened and nerfed her damage.

March 21, 2017; almost exactly a year ago. Ana has been the WORST healing support since then by a VERY large margin in all ranks.

Then focus shifted to Lucio and dive; he could make so much happen so passively. So he got a re-work to be more engaging, BUT fit into less team comps. Now we see where that got us, Lucio has been mobility creeped out of the game.

Then the focus shifted to Mercy, why can she undo my ults! I hate this hide and rez!

People were after her head, even though she was arguably fine; so rather than a tweek to her ult charge rate, or taking power away from it to give into her kit, she got reworked into a MONSTER. That has been nerfed and nerfed and nerfed

Now there's only 2 supports left that are fun and balanced; BUT because of that people scream op!

People complained that Ana was still too good; she's now the worst support
People said Lucio was too passive; now he struggles to find a spot
People said Mercy was frustrating to play against; now her impact is almost negligible

Could even look at the Tanks; D.va, Roadhog, Zarya, Reinhardt... They've all been tweeked and changed

Then you look at DPS; the ONLY times Tracer isn't the go to pick is when there's a broken strat (Bayblade) OR they overbuff another DPS (Mei's super fast ult charge, 76's 20 damage, McSniper etc.)

Genji has always had huge forgiving hitboxes and when balanced VERY careful attention is given.

Pharah and 76 have usually had it pretty easy; not too many changes other than the 76 issues but before and since he's been fine

McCree and Reaper always being the leftovers who are either too good, or too bad. They can't find a good place so they're usually not many peoples go to picks (Not to say people don't, they just get better and easier results in other heroes)

Sombra has always been super niche and an EMP bot; and is finally getting a soft "rework"

Doomfist was gutted after they "fixed" his hitboxes (Though Genji still has his ;p)

But notice something; There's usually 2/8 dps who are viable, but that is okay yet when 2/5 supports or 2/6 tanks are viable people cry for nerfs.

I get that Tanks and Supports are huge and meta defining, but isn't that the case? They're the pure backbones of the team. You could be the best DPS player on Earth, but without that Tank taking that hit, or that support healing you up, how well will you fare?

But it doesn't feel equal to Tank and Support players. It always feels like they NEED a DPS to win the game. Have you ever had a team, where the Tanks and Support were doing great, but because of weak DPS you were still losing?

Tanks and Supports always feel shafted; like if they dare try to be the game winner they get toned down.
That's one of the nice things about playing Tank. Yeah nobody ever thanks you, but they usually don't blame you either. :D

DPS and Healers do get chewed out pretty often.
02/20/2018 07:11 AMPosted by Uperior
After the nerf to Ana's grenade, she was in a more balanced state for how the game was being played at that time.

Mercy was buffed and an actual viable pick, Dive was becoming the new go to meta; BUT Ana was still the most picked support in higher comp levels (Almost like the highest skill cap hero SHOULD be picked by the higher ranks but whatever)

So people STILL complained, and they listened and nerfed her damage.

March 21, 2017; almost exactly a year ago. Ana has been the WORST healing support since then by a VERY large margin in all ranks.

Then focus shifted to Lucio and dive; he could make so much happen so passively. So he got a re-work to be more engaging, BUT fit into less team comps. Now we see where that got us, Lucio has been mobility creeped out of the game.

Then the focus shifted to Mercy, why can she undo my ults! I hate this hide and rez!

People were after her head, even though she was arguably fine; so rather than a tweek to her ult charge rate, or taking power away from it to give into her kit, she got reworked into a MONSTER. That has been nerfed and nerfed and nerfed

Now there's only 2 supports left that are fun and balanced; BUT because of that people scream op!

People complained that Ana was still too good; she's now the worst support
People said Lucio was too passive; now he struggles to find a spot
People said Mercy was frustrating to play against; now her impact is almost negligible

Could even look at the Tanks; D.va, Roadhog, Zarya, Reinhardt... They've all been tweeked and changed

Then you look at DPS; the ONLY times Tracer isn't the go to pick is when there's a broken strat (Bayblade) OR they overbuff another DPS (Mei's super fast ult charge, 76's 20 damage, McSniper etc.)

Genji has always had huge forgiving hitboxes and when balanced VERY careful attention is given.

Pharah and 76 have usually had it pretty easy; not too many changes other than the 76 issues but before and since he's been fine

McCree and Reaper always being the leftovers who are either too good, or too bad. They can't find a good place so they're usually not many peoples go to picks (Not to say people don't, they just get better and easier results in other heroes)

Sombra has always been super niche and an EMP bot; and is finally getting a soft "rework"

Doomfist was gutted after they "fixed" his hitboxes (Though Genji still has his ;p)

But notice something; There's usually 2/8 dps who are viable, but that is okay yet when 2/5 supports or 2/6 tanks are viable people cry for nerfs.

I get that Tanks and Supports are huge and meta defining, but isn't that the case? They're the pure backbones of the team. You could be the best DPS player on Earth, but without that Tank taking that hit, or that support healing you up, how well will you fare?

But it doesn't feel equal to Tank and Support players. It always feels like they NEED a DPS to win the game. Have you ever had a team, where the Tanks and Support were doing great, but because of weak DPS you were still losing?

Tanks and Supports always feel shafted; like if they dare try to be the game winner they get toned down.

What are you talking about:
Lucio was always among or the best pick in the game from the release of the game to the mercy rework, still saw play during it, and still sees play today.
Mercy, while not always great in pro play, has consistently been one off or THE most played hero, and was insanely op for a couple months.
Ana was released, saw a buff really quickly and dominated and altered the next couple metas, until undertuned, and is to this day one of the most skill testing and fun heroes in overwatch.
Zenyatta started of weak, the got heavily buffed right into must pick status, then tuned down, saw a buff again and became really powerful, was a main stay in both dive and mercy meta, and is ARGUABLY the best support in the game now, while still skill testing and fun, not to say most of the other supports arent as well.
Moira, got released powerful and usable, and already has people calling for (probably unnecesarry) nerfs for her.
And Sym...
And you didnt even mention Widow or Bastion or Hanzo or Junkrat when talking about dps, who have all been among the worst heroes in overwatch.

And i love that part about supports and tanks feeling like they NEED a dps to win, while i literally had a game, with me being a tank/support flex player, where i was "forced" into dps, but while i was trash it didnt matter because of the tank and support mains on my team. :)
Why do people say that healers and tanks tend to be more flexable than dps, ive met numerous, and i mean NUMEROUS tank and healer mains, who will NEVER switch, even if you come with a good argument for the switch, and will often just stay silent, like they intentionally ignore you.
02/19/2018 05:30 AMPosted by MegaLopunny
Do you think you get an unfair rep by the rest of the community?
Not a DPS main but yes, they get a lot of crap thrown at them just because they are DPS, get the blame for Blizzards balance decision for some reason.
Its the Genji and Tracer mains, mostly the former
Most of the healers and tanks are easy to get value out of, so if you are getting dominated it is rarely their fault. An average skill tank/support is more helpful to their team than an average skill DPS.

Rarely does your team get nothing out of the tanks/supports. It is very common to get nothing out of your DPS though. Most of the games I lose are because my team's DPS is doing very little. The tanks and healers are almost always doing their job. Almost every game.

And then the hanzo says, "I have gold damage." That's like a Reinhardt saying, "I have the most damage blocked."

Also, tanks and support mains are forced to learn teamwork and positioning by their nature. Because of this, Tanks/healers are better at the tactical aspect of the game than DPS mains at the same level.

Also, people who only play DPS are selfish. Tanks and supports will make the pick that helps the team, DPS mains will just pick a different DPS if they switch at all.

some DPS mains will heal or shield, but it's much more likely for a Tank main to switch to necessary support or vice/versa than a DPS main going healer or tank.

I'm a hog/off tank main and would prefer to play hog/DVA/Zarya every single game. And in a lot of ways he is just a big DPS. But I end up playing a lot of Rein/Orisa because we need a shield tank, which is probably the position that the least people like to play. DPS mains though, they will mostly just play DPS no matter what and if not they'll go off tank which is a hyprid DPS role anyway.
02/19/2018 05:30 AMPosted by MegaLopunny
As the title says. I want to hear from the DPS mains though not just people mad at them.
Do you think you get an unfair rep by the rest of the community?
I'd say yes. We get a terrible rep for absolutely no reason. People are complaining at us for being selfish 1-trick players yet they dont understand our reasoning behind it.

I mean who in their right mind likes to play heroes that are literally the #1 target in the entire game (supports) and will practically get obliterated a million times by Genji's, Tracer's, Reaper's, Hog's, and Rein's?

The whole "only-DPS mains are selfish" statement needs to die. People who main DPS understandably want to die less so they play DPS.
02/20/2018 06:41 AMPosted by Andrey
But for every DPS whiner there is a mercy whiner stuck in gold who blames the team for everything.

We're Moira and Ana mains now.
[quote]
The whole "only-DPS mains are selfish" statement needs to die. People who main DPS understandably want to die less so they play DPS.

if you refuse to Tank or support, you are selfish. If you only play off tank, you're also selfish. shield tank and healer are the most important roles in every game and they are also the most dependent on your DPS and off tanks killing things.

Look at the hero playtime for tank and support mains. They all have both healers and tanks. They flex and just accept that DPS is going to be taken in every game. DPS mains playtime is always only DPS heros
Because of the forums. If anything, I see 10 times as many support and tank mains !@#$%ing about dps mains then I see actual dps mains ^-*!@ing.
Why is this BS still going on for the love of God. The forums can't see to move on from this subject apparently.
As a DPS player, I think that we all get a bad rep because of the very, very vocal minority of DPS players that cannot accept that they're being outplayed or that heroes are fair, etc.

Every role gets it honestly, the Mercy mains of old who begged for Genji nerfs, the Roadhog mains pre-hook 2.0 that claimed it was fine, and the McCree mains who claimed FtH was fair back in S1.

I think that tanks get the best image because the forums don't see too many tank mains pointing fingers. Healers and DPS are the worst because they both point fingers at each other and seem to be the most fragile in how the receive balance changes to their oh-so-beloved mains.
02/20/2018 06:57 AMPosted by HeyBooBoo
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I am, both on my main (which is also dedicated solely to Reaper) and on this alt account. But is there truly a difference between an X main and an X one-trick? Not really, no.

So no difference? Okay you are a Reaper main and also a one trick. Reaper is part of the DPS class. By my calculations, you are a DPS main.

Smile :)

Not sure if you read the post that I believe he made earlier –

Posted by Reaper
I'd like if people didn't refer to me as a 'DPS' main. I am not a DPS main. I am a Reaper main. I don't care about Tracer or Genji, and I'd love to watch McCree burn.

In fact, personally it doesn't make sense to just use the term 'DPS' main. I can assure you, there is a massive difference between Reaper mains (this one in particular) and Genji mains, there is a massive difference between Pharah mains and Sombra mains, there is a massive difference between McCree mains and Doomfist mains, and so on.

If I'm most comfortable on McCree and Soldier, but the comp "requires" me to be playing Genji or Tracer, I will play at a considerably worse level. What does this mean? I'm a McCree and Soldier main. While those are DPS, the cast of Overwatch has a very diverse set of weapons, and Tracer's weapon feels nothing like McCree's, which feels nothing like Reaper's, which feels nothing like Soldier's, which feels nothing like Pharah's, which feels slightly similar to Genji's (both are projectiles, that's about it).

So... what does this mean? Sure, I may play DPS, but unless I can play every DPS at a solid level, I'm not a DPS main. I'm a Soldier or Genji or whatever main.