Is D.Va Really "OP?"

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
There's a lot of talk about D.Va being "OP" currently because of her extremely high pick rate, but is she really?

I mean, think about it for a minute, with the recent Mercy readjustments, the most played support at the moment, is Moira. What's the most annoying thing about Moira? Her orbs. How do you deal with the orbs? Defense Matrix.

D.Va is a very strong hero; I'm not arguing with that, but from what I've seen in many of my games, people pick her not so much because she's "OP" but because she mitigates a large part of Moira's impact, and Moira is extremely prevalent right now in the metagame.
I'm pretty sure the answer is "no", but that's just my opinion.

02/15/2018 10:31 AMPosted by DangerBeans
There's a lot of talk about D.Va being "OP" currently because of her extremely high pick rate, but is she really?
Right now she is OP in my opinion. I'm not complaining, I reap the benefits often. However, I'm interested to see if the Sombra buff will hurt D.Va much because she is an easy hack target and dead weight once hacked.
Short answer: No

Long answer: Absolutely not.
People are saying shes op because you can fly at someone while shooting, while using your rockets, while using your DM to block incoming damage. She's effectively a flying death ball in their minds. But this was at the cost of her defensive ability, which people also thought was too op.

Basic thought is "she can theoretically kill me in a second if she wants to so even if it doesnt happen, that's bad."
But really her primary fire is hitscan and her rockets are projectile and must be lead. So getting both to hit is a real pain. All you need to do to void the rockets hitting you is strafe.

Edit to agree with poster above me, once the new sombra comes out she really will be dead weight anyway. Yay for more dps centric games. :'(
02/15/2018 10:31 AMPosted by DangerBeans
people pick her not so much because she's "OP" but because she mitigates a large part of Moira's impact

What? I've never heard that before. She gets picked a lot because she's in a good spot, not so she can eat moira orbs. Moira is still pretty impactful even without her orbs, js.
I don't think so, but maybe that's because I play as Zarya a lot of the time. Dat mech melt doe.
Dva is busted

She is the true enabler of Winston and therefore the Dive meta

The damage she has now combined with matrix at the right time made ever even stronger

She can fly to a soldier/mcree and completely DELETE them

She can almost 1 clip winston with rocket+ primary fire

Getting highground is Key in the game

Dva has it all for an off tank

Has completely 0 counters

Dont even try to mention zarya btw

If you play zarya in gibraltar against a dive, youll get 0 energy, no highground presence and dva can still melt you

Zarya only counters Dva in kings row, 3rd point eichenwalde and really closed chokes

In gibraltar, numbani, junkertown, etc she doesnt counter dva at all, if anything youre putting ur team in a disadvantage by playing zarya there
She's not OP, the state of heroes in the current meta just heavily favors highly-mobile, ability-dependent dive heroes, like Tracer, Genji, Winston and D.Va. Since D.Va's latest change she's become an aggressive bully tank again, after a long while of D.Va having a very passive Defense-Matrix oriented playstyle, and as we all know the average person playing Overwatch doesn't really know how to adapt to changing situations all that well.

When Sombra's buffs especially go live it should be a huge blow to Dive heroes, and allow more varied comps like Multi-Tank and alternate, less ability-dependent DPS like Soldier and McCree to thrive again.
No, she's one of the stronger characters in the game though and very versatile
She's too good at too many things. 600 hp hero with better burst damage than some DPS, a really good ultimate, great mobility, and a strong damage denial ability.

There's never a reason not to run D.Va because there's nothing the other off tanks bring that she doesn't.
The shooting while flying and rocket while DM seems too much. I think you need to dial one back.
02/15/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Pulse
Dva is busted

The damage she has now combined with matrix at the right time made ever even stronger

If you play zarya in gibraltar against a dive, youll get 0 energy, no highground presence and dva can still melt you

Zarya only counters Dva in kings row, 3rd point eichenwalde and really closed chokes

In gibraltar, numbani, junkertown, etc she doesnt counter dva at all, if anything youre putting ur team in a disadvantage by playing zarya there

People said D.Va was the enabler for Triple-Tank and many other metas. They were all wrong before, why should we believe she's the enabler for Dive now?
No. She does what she is designed to do well. Apparently that makes you op to some people on the forums. In reality it just means she works.
The problem with your argument is D.Va had an extremely high pick rate before the Mercy nerf, so before Moira's pick rate went up. I agree she's a good counter to Moira, but how do you explain that?
I don't really care what's done to D.Va, but I do think it's really funny that this forum was completely chock full of "Thanks for RUINING D.VA!!!!!" threads when her changes went live and a couple of us were battling the tide going "Woah, wait, no, she's different, she's not ruined at all!"

And now everyone is realizing that her changes months ago were a huge buff. It's just tears everywhere no matter what the devs do.
02/15/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Blam320
02/15/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Pulse
Dva is busted

People said D.Va was the enabler for Triple-Tank and many other metas. They were all wrong before, why should we believe she's the enabler for Dive now?

They were not wrong, dva has enabled multiple metas

Put a Winston without a Dva and tell him to dive in, go ahead, he will instantly get melted and do nothing but feed

Its not really my business if you believe it or not and I couldnt care less to be honest

But jeff himself was talking about Dive and he specifically said dva and winston are the pillars of dive

It doesnt take too much game sense to really understand why...

If you watch any high SR dva players you will notice how much they prioritize keeping their winston alive over anything else, and diving together
She is not OP. It’s so easy to get her out of mech.
Good luck getting an unbiased view if her on these forums. The amount of dva players on here is ridiculous.
02/15/2018 10:47 AMPosted by SnootBoop
I don't really care what's done to D.Va, but I do think it's really funny that this forum was completely chock full of "Thanks for RUINING D.VA!!!!!" threads when her changes went live and a couple of us were battling the tide going "Woah, wait, no, she's different, she's not ruined at all!"

And now everyone is realizing that her changes months ago were a huge buff. It's just tears everywhere no matter what the devs do.

Honestly I understand those people. D.Va is basically a different hero now. For those that enjoyed her old playstyle she basically got ruined, and I'm one of those people that think so. I can still play her, I know she's a strong pick right now, but I most certainly would prefer old D.Va over this and honestly, I just hate the rework.

02/15/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Pulse
Put a Winston without a Dva and tell him to dive in, go ahead, he will instantly get melted and do nothing but feed

I literally just played a comp game as Winston on Oasis, I had a Zarya but no D.Va, and we still hard stomped them, 2-0, 99%-0% each time, and I was genuinely going balls deep, I was right infront of their spawn on City Center to kill their Genji and still got out.

Hm?

edit: https://i.imgur.com/UBYMyjX.jpg
Literally infront of their spawn.