Is D.VA a Mary Sue?

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
D.VA:
Is a pro player whatever game she plays (Chu's words, not mine), not just Starcraft.
Is a movie star
Was drafted to fight a giant Kaiju omnic, survived every single encounter even when going solo
Has time to do all of these things
Has a calculated APM in the tens of thousands.
Everyone likes her- even old men like Reinhardt know her and ask for her autograph. The most negative thing that is said to her is 'This is no place for children.'

She seems overloaded and kinda... stupid as a character.
She's 19, I don't know what Blizzard could do to her that wouldn't spark massive controversy.

But yes she's a Mary Sue.

Her real downside is that her personality is very 2D.
Highly Rated
My toaster has more personality than she does.
02/16/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Doc
She's 19, I don't know what Blizzard could do to her that wouldn't spark massive controversy.

And yet in game she's torn apart with meathooks, sliced apart by a magic katana, smashed to death by a giant hammer or axe or slammed into a wall (leaving a crater) by a weapon that's able to pierce skyscrapers.
I have a feeling that her over-bubbly personality is a mere facade that she puts on to cover up the trauma/fear/sadness she has from fighting to protect her homeland against that giant, mega powerful Omnic monster in the ocean. I think Blizzard will be expanding upon her lore soon, especially with all of the retcon-controversy over whether or not she is a Starcraft pro.
she needs some haters
maybe when the new hero is in the same team with a dva the hero would say "not her again"
02/16/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Doc

Pretty much this.

Attempt to alter dva in any way shape or form and well.... you'll have the armor debacle but for lore. Mass threads filled with hate. Mass downvotes fueled by mob rule and mentality. People lynched figuratively speaking for giving an alternate view point from there own. Yes, I remember that time quite well.

I think honest dva needs some development and much more depth too her back story too bring her out of the "mary sue" category. She needs to be fleshed out but not with more random stuff. It needs to make sense. Otherwise she will stay in this category.

Her strengths or "power level" really need to be explained in much more detail. Because otherwise she is the literal definition of a mary sue. Funny how a star trek original series reference which is about a character called mary sue from the 60s is now some how apart of most cultures to describe randomly powerful female characters, funny but accurate.

I should also point out that there is no such thing as a mary sue "persona". A mary sue is someone who is randomly brilliant at everything for no real reason other than "just because". A mary sue is someone who by all accounts does not deserve the strengths they have as there is by no means any form of evidence of earning or achieving said things and is shoe horned in as a "symbol" or equality which is why the whole thing goes all the way back too the 60s and a star trek original series comic. Please do your research.
No, she isn't. She has bitter personality.

The Mary Sue of OW is Tracer: overly positive with no flaws, appeals to the minority and is also a plot device. Everything in OW resolves around her story with Winston.
02/16/2018 04:17 PMPosted by HANA

The Mary Sue of OW is Tracer: overly positive with no flaws, appeals to the minority and is also a plot device.

She doesn't seem bitter, she seems arrogant and chirpy, which is a typical Mary Sue persona.
i mean, she certainly has all the dictionary characteristics of your typical mary sue. if it walks like a duck, right? but w/e, i can't help but like her anyway. i do wish for some canon animosity between her and other characters, though.
02/16/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Nevermore
My toaster has more personality than she does.

your toaster must be a partially personality less toaster then
every character in this game is literally one archetype and thats it, it aint that deep
I don't know if Hana Song is a Mary Sue but Clark Kent sure is.
She desperately needs lore, but Bliz would rather blame us for "misinterpreting" than actually make a comic or short about her.
02/16/2018 04:17 PMPosted by Luci
She doesn't seem bitter, she seems arrogant and chirpy, which is a typical Mary Sue persona.

That is not what Mary Sue is. Mary Sue is an idealized character without flaws.

From wikipedia:
A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. Often, this character is recognized as an author insert or wish fulfillment. They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience.
02/16/2018 04:22 PMPosted by HANA
02/16/2018 04:17 PMPosted by Luci

That is not what Mary Sue is. Mary Sue is an idealized character without flaws.

From wikipedia:
A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. Often, this character is recognized as an author insert or wish fulfillment. They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience.

'An idealised and seemingly perfect fictional character'
D.VA, again, is a professional player in any game she plays, she also pilots a gigantic mech, she's a movie star with a giant APM score. Everyone knows and loves her.
02/16/2018 04:17 PMPosted by HANA

The Mary Sue of OW is Tracer: overly positive with no flaws, appeals to the minority and is also a plot device. Everything in OW resolves around her story with Winston.

I guess you didn't see Widow's video then. She gets her !@# kicked and pretty much is responsible for killing Mondatta by saving her own $%^.
Jack Morrison is more of a Mary Sue than D.Va is.

Blond boy who grew up on a farm joins the army at 18 and gains superhuman stamina and abilities, goes on to be the hailed leader of a worldwide organization based on the success of a one-in-a-billion chance mission, only to live out his old days as a vigilante.

If you're gonna throw one hero under the bus, we might as well throw everyone else under there, too.
She certainly is at this point, maybe some more backstory will counter this. Mind you if we didn't know as much as we did about the pasts of Tracer and Lucio they'd be Mary Sue's too.

And maaaaaaaybe Orisa but I'm not sure robots count in this contest.
Wait... I'm starting to get the feeling that some people here don't know what a Mary Sue is.