Streaks

Competitive Discussion
Why does it seem that losses always come in streaks. You can sit at an elo and go up and down but without fail you always hit a loss streak. When you climb its always win 2 lose one win 2 lose 2 but over time you climb. I can count on one hand the amount of win streaks i have had in this game since i started playing, but loss streaks are at least a few times a season.

If you go by every game has as close to a 50% chance then win streaks should be just as common as loss streaks. If you flip a coin 100 times you will have times where tails comes up 10 times in a row and you will have times heads comes up 10 times in a row, but in OW thats not the case.

It basically reinforces the long held belief that OW matchmaking forces you into those streaks.

Also please don't give me the tilt argument or your facing better people. I always log off after two loses and season after season I always end up in the same spot. So it isnt a question of skill or being at the wrong elo.
Here's another perspective: Why would Blizzard implement an algorithm that forces losing streaks? That would just make their customers salty!?

Pretty sure Blizzard has figured out a thing or two about gaming psychology and what motivates their customers to buy their products and how to retain them. Forcing losing streaks would be just bad for their revenue (because OW isn't pay-to-win) and I think that's a good enough argument that there's no such thing.
Key word is "seems". Your win rate is 54%. Statistically you win more than you lose, but when you lose, you get frustrated, and you actually question "what's wrong here?" It sticks in your mind, you're seeking a rationalization. In reality it's the exception, not the norm, because you don't seek rationalization when you win.

That's how psychology works. Even players that win more than average feel victimized or targeted when things seem awry.
How is it bad. makes you go on a losing streak then eventually you climb which makes you feel good. that goes both ways.
01/16/2018 06:11 AMPosted by Kaawumba
Win probability changes slowly with rank because there are so many random factors in each individual match. Unfortunately, it follows from this that frequent and long streaks will occur, and a player’s rank will oscillate widely. Essentially, a player will tend to bounce between the range of where he is nearly guaranteed to win and where he is nearly guaranteed to lose. The range varies from player to player, but +/- 250 SR/MMR is common and +/- 500 is possible. This problem can be analyzed in depth, mathematically (34).

(34) https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759379305

The math gives no asymmetry between winning and losing. If you see an asymmetry, you have either been unlucky (which happens), you are tilting (contrary to your conscious belief), or you are much more likely to notice loss streaks than win streaks (writing down every game can help here).

Note that I see more win streaks than loss streaks, primarily because I am climbing. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19qAqcIcKfIulz_YN960HgV65c2GfphYdndc6lZli2CA/edit?usp=sharing
I only started competitive this season. My sole experience has been one massive, excruciating losing streak with the odd anomalous win here and there. It's been awful. I wish I'd never bothered.
You as a human are subject to many things which can alter your performance. Examples are:

1. Mood
2. Amount of sleep
3. Fatigue
4. Attitude
5. Brain chemistry
6. Time of year
7. Time of day
8. Hydration
9. Health
10. Etc.

Each day may be different and you could be performing well one day and not so well the next. We can also have clutch days where we are over performing and bad days where we underperform. Sometimes we are set off by something which lowers our morale or confidence.

This can cause streaks, and a losing streak can effect us in a way which causes us to perform even worse.

If you are not doing well take a break, maybe get some extra sleep. Take some time practicing rather then playing to get your mind back on track. Maybe you just need to get out and do other things for a little while.
Another example yesterday was one of those days I played and lost 3 games. Took a break and played on my 2nd account which is low gold. Felt like i was playing well jumped back on and lost the next two games. I was down around 150 SR total. I ended up winning and kept winning. Basically by the end of the day i was 2 SR lower than were i started after about 10-15 games.

I just dont get why everything is so streaky. I was lucky enough to get on an upswing following my downswing but those are very rare. I remember thinking to myself i am going to play until I lose and I wont like 5 or 6 games in a row and ended up logging off before I lost.

The streaks both winning and losing give a false sense of skill. The downswings make you question should I be at this rank and the upswings make you feel under ranked. Neither makes for a positive gaming experience.
02/17/2018 12:41 PMPosted by Kim
Here's another perspective: Why would Blizzard implement an algorithm that forces losing streaks? That would just make their customers salty!?

Pretty sure Blizzard has figured out a thing or two about gaming psychology and what motivates their customers to buy their products and how to retain them. Forcing losing streaks would be just bad for their revenue (because OW isn't pay-to-win) and I think that's a good enough argument that there's no such thing.

You don't understand the concept of addiction.
People trying to make excuses for the game. What I see is yet another player who’s noticed the forced streaks.

Blizzard thought it’d be neat to control things and rubber band people around a hidden rating, and that’s going to be the downfall of the game.

You don’t meddle with the player’s destiny in any way.
02/17/2018 12:41 PMPosted by Kim

If you give and take, you can keep the customer coming back. If people just got great teams and kept winning, they'd have no goal to obtain because it would already be obtained. Blizzard, and other games, are measuring their games success by "time played", so yes, it's a good practice to force losing and keep that customer playing the game. It increases the time played.
Blizzard knows better than anyone how to dangle that carrot in a stick, and keep people chasing.

In a game as thin as this, what’s the carrot? Well, SR. When they climb, make it unwinnable for a bit, then play another week to regain what you lost!

After 8 seasons, you can see this plain as day.