Pharah is in trouble ->Sombra changes\Mercy absence

PTR Feedback
Hey, I'm a Pharah, and I'm sure I'm speaking to lots of justice enthusiasts like me when I say I'm worried.
We've been suffering for the lack of Mercy in games and having too many Lucio/Moira combos while you can shine on a Pharah is super painful but okay Mercy had it coming.
Yet I'm super worried about the fact that Sombra is going to be able to drop us like a stone now that she can Hack our passive ability to Hover. While I get the need to buff Sombra and give her more powerful utility I think this one needs a bit of an adjustment.
Sombra can too easily appear behind a Pharah and put her in a very vulnerable state which is ok for the Sombra but from a Pharah stand point there's not much you can do to try and fight the oppression, once you're down, everything jumps at you and only if you're super lucky or your team jumps on you, you can survive.

How about this though - to still find a balance between the 2 Heroes and not give such a major advantage to one Hero - How about while she hacks Pharah's Hover Jets, she hacks their ability to "Fill Up" ? that way the pharah can use whatever fuel she has left to try and avoid the situation, sometimes she'll be forever doomed to drop like stone since she's out of juice, However, It will still give you a tiny bit of hope to retaliate and try and turn the situation in your favor by either using the little fuel left to go to cover/team, try and fight back the sombra, or try to kill someone before dying yourself.

Worried Pharah.
How are you getting hacked by Sombra? You know you can fly right?
02/14/2018 12:53 PMPosted by Stunlaw
With cast time buffed, it will be easy to translocate to pharah and hack her.
02/14/2018 12:53 PMPosted by Stunlaw
Pharah can't stay 24/7 in the skybox either.

btw I don't think it's that big of an issue. Just use rocket jumping when you're hacked.
I wouldn't mind if she took less damage from self rockets though.
Your concerns are not about a hero being buffed but about having to be more cautious and accurate now.

It is 100% time for phara to see another counter arise. Yes it’s easy to track a phara who cannot manage their boosters/jump but if you have a phara who is good with map awareness you kind of have to wait for her to try and ult. But sombra will bring something nice to the table and I’m excited for her to level the playhigher by field with gengi/phara mains.
Idk I play a fair amount of pharah and mercy (and a little sombra as well) and I think this should be an interesting change and make pharah v sombra a little less one sided. Even if you get grounded you've still got the burst damage to take out the sombra. If she uses her translocater to get in range for the hack she has no immediate escape. You might die but she probably will too. I think this will just change what counts as good positioning for a pharah. When playing v sombra you'll want to be more careful when above pits or the entire enemy team.
I've spent many hours practicing my 76 and Widowmaker aim to be better able to duel Pharahs and Pharmercys. Now Sombra comes along and takes all the sport out of it. Shame. Hope to see you in the skies again one day, Pharah. So that I can shoot you.
As a Phara second, I'm just as happy to see the terror of the Pharmacy reduced a bit - but its true that with Mercy's wings clipped and the prevalence of hitscan increasing these days, she's extremely vulnerable up there, and out of reach of most effective support. I've yet to play with an Ana who could even remotely consistently heal Phara, ironically... (Thanks for nothing, Mom!)

A large chunk of the healing in the game is now short range and ground-bound, which negates phara's ability to pose much of an aerial threat - and she's a trivial pick for so many heroes if she tries to come down for healing.

She might need some kind of aerial agility buff to be able to maintain any kind of position in the air, or need to be re-designed to be more of a pop-up/drop down style attacker, with short bursts of higher speed rockets instead of the slow persistent rain of rockets that generally come down from a pharmacy.
It’s okay to have a hard counter in the opposite team, this means you have to SWITCH.

I play a lot of Winston but when there’s a good Hog or Reaper giving me a hard time, I switch. Guess you are going to learn how to do the same.
02/14/2018 01:31 PMPosted by jasonwocky
I've spent many hours practicing my 76 and Widowmaker aim to be better able to duel Pharahs and Pharmercys. Now Sombra comes along and takes all the sport out of it. Shame. Hope to see you in the skies again one day, Pharah. So that I can shoot you.

Sombra was in a really bad spot... she needs this. She is a great idea for a character and can be a great counter. This is what the dive meta needs its been here for literally over half the games comp seasons. Its time for the meta to die.
So you're basing you desire to be rid of a Sombra buff by your inability to Pharmecy?

There are currently ZERO abilities in game that will cause Pharah to come down out of the sky with the exception of Graviton Surge (which PHarah can easily be out of range for) or Halt, which is slow moving, only lasts a second she can fly away from [EDIT: And hook, which she has to be in range for to be effective]. It's about time we have an ability that can take her down, even if it's only for 6 seconds.

Its' especially great because it means Pharah will have to be careful when flying outside of map standing areas, for fear of falling. And tbh, it should be that way. There shouldn't be areas where you aren't afraid of being attacked. :D
Pharah was never really a problem for Sombra even before these buffs.

She always had the ability to throw a translocator into the air to hack her (hover does not put Pharah outside of Sombra's shooting range), and she always had the ability to translocate to high ground in order to shoot her.

Now it's just going to be easier for lower-skilled Sombras to counter Pharah. Just means Pharah players will have to be more aware of Sombra, just like they do with S76, McCree, Ana, and D.va.
I agree. Sombra is allready in live version good against Phara. Now she has a reduced spray, what gives her more range damage and then she can hack phara in 0.65 sec and she drops out of the sky?
Mercy is already a weak pick and only phara makes her viable.

Hack is such a strong ability hacking every 8 sec someone for 6 sec? that should really effect these passive abilitys.
Not much to say except if the up sombra is validated you can literally send Pharah to the trash.

This is probably the most ridiculously OP buff I've seen since playing Overwatch.
02/14/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Kallisti
Now it's just going to be easier for lower-skilled Sombras to counter Pharah. Just means Pharah players will have to be more aware of Sombra, just like they do with S76, McCree, Ana, and D.va.

The problem in my mind is that one "lower-skilled Sombra" as you put it now potentially shuts down an entire Pharmercy with hardly any risk.

I mean, I get it. Pharmercy is "annoying", especially on console, and a lot of people want a counter. Just like a lot of people get "annoyed" by Tracer and Genji. But one hero now who's positioned as a counter to all of these people? How is this not setting her up to be a must-pick? Especially when she doesn't have any natural counters of her own beside a better Sombra on the other team.

None of the Sombra changes especially affect any hero I play with any regularity, so I'm not personally put out by the changes. I just hate must-picks.
02/14/2018 04:34 PMPosted by jasonwocky
Especially when she doesn't have any natural counters of her own beside a better Sombra on the other team.

None of the Sombra changes especially affect any hero I play with any regularity, so I'm not personally put out by the changes. I just hate must-picks.

Sombra, Hanzo, Roadhog, Widowmaker, Junkrat, Winston, Torbjorn (especially with Sym), McCree, and Mei are all very very annoying to play against as a Sombra.
:-) Cheers.
02/14/2018 04:34 PMPosted by jasonwocky
02/14/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Kallisti

The problem in my mind is that one "lower-skilled Sombra" as you put it now potentially shuts down an entire Pharmercy with hardly any risk.

I mean, I get it. Pharmercy is "annoying", especially on console, and a lot of people want a counter. Just like a lot of people get "annoyed" by Tracer and Genji. But one hero now who's positioned as a counter to all of these people? How is this not setting her up to be a must-pick? Especially when she doesn't have any natural counters of her own beside a better Sombra on the other team.

There is one problem with that though. Sombra players that hack a Mercy or Pharah in the air puts themselves in danger. They have to use their translocator to be able to hack said Mercy or Pharah in the air so they are incredibly vulnerable then since they can't port away when they get fired on.
I think the fill up idea is a great compromise. Pharahs who manage their fuel wisely won't drop dead but will be forced to lower or find cover. The PTR right now removes Pharah as a viable pick whenever the enemy has a sombra unless the pharah reaches incredibly high.
Pharah still has one of the best guns in the game, it's not like you become fully useless. Most of us have played FPS rocket launchers many times without a constant birds-eye view. Oh and don't forget that dropping down gives healers more access to you (well, in the case of Moira and Lucio)

OP's suggestion to prevent just the refill is still reasonable though.
Finally no more teams carryed by pharahmercy