Does Genji need deflect?

General Discussion
EDIT: Stop getting offended all of y'all. This is a theoretical argument. Please do not respond with a rhetorical question. My question is: Would Genji still be playable and balanced without deflect? This is a discussion, not a rant.
Does Tracer need recall or 3 blinks? Does Reaper need Wraith? Does Sombra need translocator?
Yes, he needs it. Its like asking "Does Zarya need projected barrier" or "Does Ana need biotic grenade?"
02/15/2018 03:19 PMPosted by Eggcelsior
Does Tracer need recall or 3 blinks? Does Reaper need Wraith? Does Sombra need translocator?

That doesn't answer my question, and I sense some bias in your response. This is in no way an attack on Genji, lol. I'm just asking, theoretically, would Genji still be playable and balanced without his deflect?
Yeah, it would be like asking if Reinhardt needed his shield or if pharah needed her jump jets.
Genji is surprisingly fragile if you can consistently hurt him. That Moira and Winston make his life difficult has more to do with their auto-aim than their ability to hurt him through deflect. Yeah he needs it to compete at higher levels.
If Deflect was removed from his kit, he would be considerably underpowered, as it removes some of his self-sustain and damage. He would have to have decreased cooldown on his dash or some other ability to replace deflect.
Even though I hate genji it would most likely send him straight into f tier even with his hyper mobility
Does Tracer need Recall?
Does 76 need Bio Field?
Does Pharah need Conc. Blast?

Answer: yes, because you need it to not blow up every time you try to engage. Plus, since Genji's shurikens are so weak he relies on his abilities to deal a respectful amount of damage. If you removed Deflect you'd have to compensate with more damage and another option for self-defense.
02/15/2018 03:20 PMPosted by Shepling
02/15/2018 03:19 PMPosted by Eggcelsior

That doesn't answer my question, and I sense some bias in your response. This is in no way an attack on Genji, lol. I'm just asking, theoretically, would Genji still be playable and balanced without his deflect?
You sense bias in my response? Honey you’re the one asking if a character would be balanced if we removed a vital tool in their kit.

I’m just offering comparisons to help you see what you’re saying. WOuld the listed characters be balanced if you removed their defensive options?
Yes. Otherwise, he would have no defensive ability, and would thus get deleted every time he tried to fight. He would be one of, if not, the worst character(s) in the game.
02/15/2018 03:23 PMPosted by Eggcelsior
<span class="truncated">...</span>
You sense bias in my response? Honey you’re the one asking if a character would be balanced if we removed a vital tool in their kit.

I’m just offering comparisons to help you see what you’re saying. WOuld the listed characters be balanced if you removed their defensive options?

They're not comparisons. They're unrelated to my question. I'm asking specifically about Genji. I'm trying to draw out a discussion about a theoretical nerf to Genji. You mentioned that it's a vital tool in his kit -- expand on that, please. That's the type of response I'm looking for here. (:
thats like asking if hanzo needs scatter arrow. oh wait.
deflect is the only reason why he can duel people like widowmaker and mcree. If I had a genji on my team the least he could do is distract their widow so I don't get my brains plastered on a wall from someone a mile away from the fight.
He needs SOME kind of defensive ability. So removing deflect outright will break him completely.

Can you switch it for something else? Maybe. But what is the point?
Genji needs deflect, what he doesnt need is the size of deflect being as big as orisas shield (exaggerated a bit). Its way to big and really annoying, jeff confirmed that its actually possible to adjust the size of the hitbox. I dont see why they havent done it by now
They just need to make Genji's hit box a little bit bigger. You can miss shots that would hit any other character but just magically go through Genji.
A better question tied too the original question: If deflect was to be removed what would you put in its place?

To me the idea behind the question is does he need it if he was given something else in its place?

i.e something like rapid movement like we saw in the dragons animated short. He does not move like that (when they go to the balcony) in game. So that could be an option.