I Want To Play Comp, But...

Competitive Discussion
I don't want to solo queue, because there's a good chance of poor teamwork, one-tricks and leavers. It's just way too frustrating. I don't have any friends that play Overwatch regularly and the only way to make friends is to play competitive mode and add people who are good. Wouldn't a group finder tool make sense?
If you're on PC there is the server chat (displayed in white) where you can potentially find people on the fly. Could also chat up some people you're familiar with on the forums, see if they want to group. There is also reddit and other sites that you can find LFGs to an extent.
Solo is frustrating but you find a decent amount of people trying and being friendly. You just remember the toxicity a lot more unfortunately. Adding a group finder might make wait times even longer and add another layer of 'match making' to the in-game system which might not be feasible at all.
Make friends or go to the r/overwatch server to make friends to que with. Or else just solo que.
There's also Discord.
Being in a group doesn´t grant you better teamwork, less one-tricks or leavers. You have to take to account that this game will punish you for grouping up. You will get increasingly harder games everytime you add a friend to play with. You will also get capped by the highest sr in your team so if you que with someone who is 3499 and you are 2499, you could get games against masters, high masters, and even gms and top 500 if it is on weird hours of the day. Not to mention you will get complaints about being gold playing in that match and probably your teammates will get triggered and say it will be really hard boosting you.

The other thing is performance sr vs the new sr (for diamond and above). Below diamond when i used to group, even if i carried a game hard i will get less or equal to 25 and my friend will get sometimes get a bit more or a bit less than me. At 3314, while solo queing, my last two games were a loss and a win. I lost 23 and gained 28. I am at 3319 now.

Right now, I just find out the matchmaker frustrating as well, because it feels like getting to a new job/college/school everytime you que (a roulette). You don´t know you are going to work with, hopefully they aren´t terrible, but there´s a high chance you wont like working with some of them or even all of them. Or maybe your competition will just stomp your wonderful teammates and their best intentions anyway. Besides you get tired, trying to micro-manage every single action of your teammates.
Just don't worry about it and get friends while playing the game. Blizzard's matchmaking system is going to make sure your chances of winning remain pretty much the same no matter what kind of group configuration you play with. Playing with friends and especially ones that actually coordinate is more fun, sure, but then the enemy team is going to have a group of similar size and most probably the same level of coordination with them also.
02/17/2018 08:06 AMPosted by PǾƆƘƐŦMǮǃ
Being in a group doesn´t grant you better teamwork, less one-tricks or leavers. You have to take to account that this game will punish you for grouping up. You will get increasingly harder games everytime you add a friend to play with. You will also get capped by the highest sr in your team so if you que with someone who is 3499 and you are 2499, you could get games against masters, high masters, and even gms and top 500 if it is on weird hours of the day. Not to mention you will get complaints about being gold playing in that match and probably your teammates will get triggered and say it will be really hard boosting you.

The other thing is performance sr vs the new sr (for diamond and above). Below diamond when i used to group, even if i carried a game hard i will get less or equal to 25 and my friend will get sometimes get a bit more or a bit less than me. At 3314, while solo queing, my last two games were a loss and a win. I lost 23 and gained 28. I am at 3319 now.

Right now, I just find out the matchmaker frustrating as well, because it feels like getting to a new job/college/school everytime you que (a roulette). You don´t know you are going to work with, hopefully they aren´t terrible, but there´s a high chance you wont like working with some of them or even all of them. Or maybe your competition will just stomp your wonderful teammates and their best intentions anyway. Besides you get tired, trying to micro-manage every single action of your teammates.

I usually perform like a beast when I am in a duo. If the duo can synergize well basically you can easily win 2/3 matches with zero efforts. You also become confident and you are less stressed. The point is when you are in the position to make what you are intended to do, if you have more than 20 hours on hero, you will crush enemies like nuts. The problem is that the game is very dinamic and unpredictable, and if the enemies work around those things they can make your life an hell, as well as your team since they can throw the game. Having a mate will help you having more synergy with less effort and you have to rely less on your mechanical skills. In a solo q match the only way you gonna impact the game like a god is if you are well beyond the average of that rank: if you are a plat playing in silver, you should win all the games. The thing that helps a smurf in a lower rank is not the gap in skill, but mostly the fact that a plat can count on that skill to shape some unpredictable plays that an average player at that rank isn't accustomed to. Thus it becomes inevitable for the plat player to crush the silver lobby and roll it. If you got to become as good as 1% of the player base, you gotta learn all the basics and then you have to cross the limits when you think there is a chance to overcome the odds. The player that risks and makes more mistakes will get better in the long run, while a player that learns nothing new but just applies the basics (even when they call it "advanced tips", they are still basics) will stumble upon two big problems each match: 1) unreliabilty of his team to perform their function at an average level (which is what makes duo queing so good) 2) you will follow predictable patterns that an experienced player on the other team will be able to counter. So many times I run into those hogs going for those easy but very predictable hooks, or those anas shooting the dart when there is an obvious chance, and when a DVa is around they get easily outplayed. Risk, experiment, push the limits. To do such thing you don't even need competitive, better you maybe need to stay away from a flat and toxic enviroment and such and you need to practice in other game modes where you can chill, take your time and improve. Playing many other videogames will also develope your skills in predictions and even refine your game sense skills.
Grouping up less then 6 makes the game much harder unless your with people that are of very equal skill. It causes too many problems with the matchmaker.

A full 6 is better but then that also brings in the added challenge of going up against other 6 stacks. It means you have to be much more coordinated. For that I suggest finding or creating a clan so you can have people you can practice with. If you don't do this you are likely to get a very rude awakening when you go up against a 6 stack that has been practicing their coordination and communication.