Gold Is The Worst Rank To Be Stuck In

Competitive Discussion
Plat is better because there are less level 25 to 50s in it who have not been ranked properly. I found silver and bronze worse than gold because of all the leavers and those who are deliberately deranking to grief peeps which you don't really find many in gold.
02/17/2018 08:29 PMPosted by TeeeRekt
Bronze to Plat is super easy to climb through if you truly don't belong there.

Yeah, no. I don't care how good you are of a tank or a healer, you can't do !@#$ with those roles to carry. DPS is the only way you could possibly lift an entire team.

I just finished loosing 200 SR today for 2.5 hours of game play. 10 games, 1 win. 7/10 I was healer. 2/10 I was tank. 1/10 was DPS. Guess which one was the 1 win? Yep, me, DPS, carrying.

This game is a nightmare on weekends in Comp. I can never enjoy it on the weekends. There is like a 3 hour window that gets enough decent players to climb the later.

That 200 SR I lost... took me three weeks to climb. FML.

This is such a common misconception. From my experience, really good at dva, hog, and moira can help a team out a lot
02/17/2018 10:55 PMPosted by Sweetnlow
Gold is broken because there are SO MANY smurfs now that you just end up playing in gold rank but against master+ level players. rip.

What are you talking about. I have been in gold for a few seasons now and there has not been anything near to what you describe. I've had people call out other players for hacking yet they mysteriously can't hit me when I use strafing and crouching to avoid their shots. It's obvious my team mates have not yet learned how to move unpredictably.

I'm not a good player, I know this because I'm in gold. However I try to improve and that is what is important. I would love to go up against legit smurfs because I can learn a lot by playing against them. You don't improve by playing against opponents that are worse then you.
Gold contained 34% of players' base in season 3. Now, I suspect, it's even more. No wonder the skill is spread all over, resulting in games with result in opposing parts of awful-great spectrum.
02/17/2018 08:29 PMPosted by TeeeRekt
Yeah, no. I don't care how good you are of a tank or a healer, you can't do !@#$ with those roles to carry. DPS is the only way you could possibly lift an entire team.

Tank main here.

Climbed from gold to Diamond with Winston and Rein.

Tanks carry games more than you think.

Good day.
I have to disagree. The higher you go, the stronger the opponents are and the less mistakes they make. You cannot exploit their misplays as easily.

After been hardstuck for 4 season in diamond I barely set a foot in master yesterday and I can say that diamond has been the hardest to get through so far.
I also know that I will probably weave back and forth around that 3k5 limit for next season and eventually, if I keep improving, master will feel like the hardest rank to get through.
02/17/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Kilo

So, I don't really agree with you there. As a DPS, probably. as a Tank or support all by yourself? HIGHLY unlikely.
I'm a support/Tank main in comp, however, I try to learn loads of heroes so that I can always allow for more versatility. I can tell you, I've managed to turn around games by myself as Tracer, making enemy tanks and supports go crazy and be useless to their team, tilting them even into going something stupid like Junkrat just to counter me, allowing my team to turn the tide and get the W. However, I don't want to climb and main Tracer because I really want to be support and Tank.

There is no hero you can do that with. As a Zen player, I can make high impact plays, I get pretty consistent picks with my charge shot, I have an ok accuracy with him for my rank (around 30%). Yet when I have ONLY DPS players, no tank, no other supports, everyone wants to flank and carry on his own and I get focused down by enemy Tracers and Genjis together, I struggle a lot in a 1v1, I have around 40/60 to 50/50 matchup. But when both come at me, I'm screwed.

With Moira now I've been able to do better as I can counter these 2 and disengage if necessary. But if you're alone, even more so on console because Comms are almost nonexistent there in lower ranks, you won't get much done by yourself.

However, in duo-Queue, you will get easily out because you know there will be 1 Tank and 1 support each game.
02/19/2018 02:23 AMPosted by Rohkah
02/17/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Kilo

So, I don't really agree with you there. As a DPS, probably. as a Tank or support all by yourself? HIGHLY unlikely.
I'm a support/Tank main in comp, however, I try to learn loads of heroes so that I can always allow for more versatility. I can tell you, I've managed to turn around games by myself as Tracer, making enemy tanks and supports go crazy and be useless to their team, tilting them even into going something stupid like Junkrat just to counter me, allowing my team to turn the tide and get the W. However, I don't want to climb and main Tracer because I really want to be support and Tank.

There is no hero you can do that with. As a Zen player, I can make high impact plays, I get pretty consistent picks with my charge shot, I have an ok accuracy with him for my rank (around 30%). Yet when I have ONLY DPS players, no tank, no other supports, everyone wants to flank and carry on his own and I get focused down by enemy Tracers and Genjis together, I struggle a lot in a 1v1, I have around 40/60 to 50/50 matchup. But when both come at me, I'm screwed.

With Moira now I've been able to do better as I can counter these 2 and disengage if necessary. But if you're alone, even more so on console because Comms are almost nonexistent there in lower ranks, you won't get much done by yourself.

However, in duo-Queue, you will get easily out because you know there will be 1 Tank and 1 support each game.

This ! It's sure easier to climb as dps, but a team cannot revolve around 6 dps, at one point you need to flex. And as said above, some people just really want to measure their SR progression as tanks/healers, not dps. And it's super hard, considering how most people in that range don't really care about teamwork.
02/19/2018 02:33 AMPosted by KDamage
This ! It's sure easier to climb as dps, but a team cannot revolve around 6 dps, at one point you need to flex. And as said above, some people just really want to measure their SR progression as tanks/healers, not dps. And it's super hard, considering how most people in that range don't really care about teamwork

Ah it feels good to have some people understand you and not immediately downvote your comment without even replying and telling you in what exactly they don't agree! Here is a fun fact: I don't play Mercy, nor Rein, even though on console these 2 have probably one of the highest potentials. Want to know why?

-> Teamwork. Rein is the most useless character in Gold soloQ. It almost feels like he has some kind of virus that will infect others. Every time I have played Rein, I had NOBODY get behind my shield, making me the most useless and unefficient German Giant the world has ever seen! Same with Mercy, People flank SO MUCH, I don't even get FOV with them to GA to safety. However, they still like to spam "I need healing" in front of the enemy spawn.

When I have the luck to get a Mercy on my team, I do everything I can to protect her.

So I end up playing Orisa, but mostly Hog, because as we often don't have healers, I don't have the self sustain with Orisa to hold a point.
Gold will always suck cause its the largest part of the ladder. They need to redistribute it. Send some people into high silver and others into low plat. 1 skill tier shouldnt be 1 out of 3 players. That is absurd.
It's sure easier to climb as dps

But... It's not...

I climbed out of gold with Winston very easily. I was and still am a very good Winston though. If you're good with game sense and awareness and good with a main tank, you can use said main tank to climb very easily.

Tanking and DPSing are completely different tasks.
02/19/2018 03:36 AMPosted by Physics
It's sure easier to climb as dps

But... It's not...

I climbed out of gold with Winston very easily. I was and still am a very good Winston though. If you're good with game sense and awareness and good with a main tank, you can use said main tank to climb very easily.

I can do serious damage with Winston as a gold player. I always head for the Supports first and work through the squishies etc. I realise Every time when I have been overly aggressive and I've been Improving constantly on this.

Problem is: If the enemy team actually works together, people protect their heals, you will get a very hard time at picking those as Winston as almost any healer can outheal Winston's damage.

Now, what happens is this: When we have a healer to help me out a bit, it usually ends up in a carnage because my first priority is to make sure my healers are not getting harrassed. My second one is that once I know my healers are safe, I pick of theirs.
Problem? Since Moira released, people think Support can carry, thus the Moira will prefer dealing damage rather than actually healing you.
When i play Moira, 90% of my orbs are healing orbs, the 10 % are damage orbs against Tracers harassing me. Most Moira's in gold don't even know you can choose between heal and damage orb. For the rest, You'll rarely see healers in Gold or as soon as they die once, they'll switch to DPS or Torb/Sym to protest...

I have spent 8 seasons in Gold, mostly because I barely play more than my 10 placement matches because I find Comp very frustrating, so I deserve my rank, I can't expect to climb if I don't really play that much in the environment. However, people make it sound like you're crazy when you talk about the stuff that's happening there.

I' not blaming them for my losses. Again, as a Winston, I still consider it my fault when I die, I was clearly to agressive, otherwise I wouldn't have died. Sometimes I do it on purpose (we have 95% of the objective, I dive in their face and keep them distracted from going to point. It sounds stupid but most gold players will have this stupid witchhunt mentality, like AI Bots and prefer following you to the depths of hell just to be able to say: "HAHA! I killed you! Even if it cost me the game!!" than actually playing the objective. You wouldn't believe the amount of games I won and lost because people fall for this.) But still, my placement is still something I need to work on, as well as better game sense. i often figure X hero to have his ult, yet I still go in and immediately when I do this I regret it.

Still a lot I need to work on myself. Doesn't change the fact that gold is pure garbage in terms of equilibrium. It's incredible how you can play with god like DPS and healers sometimes, and then you play with even Plats sometimes (happened yesterday) who still play Torb on Defense and hammer their turret literally until they die...
02/17/2018 09:45 PMPosted by Appleǃ
02/17/2018 06:25 PMPosted by Splenectomy
If you've managed to climb to diamond before then you're able to do it again. You shouldn't be gold if you're capable of playing at a diamond level.

This isn't true in the slightest, I play easily at a diamond level but im currently stuck in this !@#$ hole

You main DPS, there is no way you do not belong at your current rank. A diamond level DPS doesn't fall to silver, especially when you have PBSR, you should be performing above average if so.
02/19/2018 04:02 AMPosted by Rohkah
02/19/2018 03:36 AMPosted by Physics
But... It's not...

I can do serious damage with Winston as a gold player. I always head for the Supports first and work through the squishies etc. I realise Every time when I have been overly aggressive and I've been Improving constantly on this.

Problem is: If the enemy team actually works together, people protect their heals, you will get a very hard time at picking those as Winston as almost any healer can outheal Winston's damage.

Now, what happens is this: When we have a healer to help me out a bit, it usually ends up in a carnage because my first priority is to make sure my healers are not getting harrassed. My second one is that once I know my healers are safe, I pick of theirs.
Problem? Since Moira released, people think Support can carry, thus the Moira will prefer dealing damage rather than actually healing you.
When i play Moira, 90% of my orbs are healing orbs, the 10 % are damage orbs against Tracers harassing me. Most Moira's in gold don't even know you can choose between heal and damage orb. For the rest, You'll rarely see healers in Gold or as soon as they die once, they'll switch to DPS or Torb/Sym to protest...

I have spent 8 seasons in Gold, mostly because I barely play more than my 10 placement matches because I find Comp very frustrating, so I deserve my rank, I can't expect to climb if I don't really play that much in the environment. However, people make it sound like you're crazy when you talk about the stuff that's happening there.

I' not blaming them for my losses. Again, as a Winston, I still consider it my fault when I die, I was clearly to agressive, otherwise I wouldn't have died. Sometimes I do it on purpose (we have 95% of the objective, I dive in their face and keep them distracted from going to point. It sounds stupid but most gold players will have this stupid witchhunt mentality, like AI Bots and prefer following you to the depths of hell just to be able to say: "HAHA! I killed you! Even if it cost me the game!!" than actually playing the objective. You wouldn't believe the amount of games I won and lost because people fall for this.) But still, my placement is still something I need to work on, as well as better game sense. i often figure X hero to have his ult, yet I still go in and immediately when I do this I regret it.

Still a lot I need to work on myself. Doesn't change the fact that gold is pure garbage in terms of equilibrium. It's incredible how you can play with god like DPS and healers sometimes, and then you play with even Plats sometimes (happened yesterday) who still play Torb on Defense and hammer their turret literally until they die...

Good show! Keep it up! But might I suggest paying more than just your placements... Placements are a joke in all honesty (no offense, they just are IMO).

This season is my least played season as I've been busy. Most other seasons I have between 100 to 300 hours.

I enjoy comp, but I'm a very calm person and I hardly ever tilt. I understand that most of the community is not like this though.

I couldn't stand gold, so I made an effort to climb and it worked, but you gotta put the time in.

When you reach a platoe, then you have to improve to go further up. I learnt this the hard way.

I like that you're working on Wiston like that. You're going about it the right way. Get a duo partner that mains a main healer and go get some work done! I've been maining Winston since day one :)

Gl & Hf!
02/19/2018 05:30 AMPosted by Physics
02/19/2018 04:02 AMPosted by Rohkah

Good show! Keep it up! But might I suggest paying more than just your placements... Placements are a joke in all honesty (no offense, they just are IMO).

This season is my least played season as I've been busy. Most other seasons I have between 100 to 300 hours.

I enjoy comp, but I'm a very calm person and I hardly ever tilt. I understand that most of the community is not like this though.

I couldn't stand gold, so I made an effort to climb and it worked, but you gotta put the time in.

When you reach a platoe, then you have to improve to go further up. I learnt this the hard way.

I like that you're working on Wiston like that. You're going about it the right way. Get a duo partner that mains a main healer and go get some work done! I've been maining Winston since day one :)

Gl & Hf!

I initially thought you were being sarcastic and then saw much appreciated positive criticism! Thank you!

But yes, I can't complain about my rank again, I know I don't put enough work into it, thing is... I'm doing my master's right now... and I really don't want to fail that, so I'm actually scared to invest too much into comp. I'm a natural binger, except for studying of course...
These posts are so dumb. Guess what the hardest rank actually is, the highest one you have been in. Suggesting gold is harder than diamond is factually incorrect, no matter how you try to spin it.
02/19/2018 05:51 AMPosted by Rohkah
I'm a natural binger

I get that completely!

I initially thought you were being sarcastic and then saw much appreciated positive criticism! Thank you!

xD

I'm doing my master's right now

Dude, best of luck! You've got your priorities right!

Gl & Hf!
02/19/2018 05:59 AMPosted by aflyguy
These posts are so dumb. Guess what the hardest rank actually is, the highest one you have been in. Suggesting gold is harder than diamond is factually incorrect, no matter how you try to spin it.

Gold is a difficult experience for many because of the amount of poor teamwork, overall lack of skill, and especially trolling. Compare this experience to a higher rank where these setbacks are less common