Where’s the Lore?

General Discussion
Yeah, I feel like we get more lore out of Michael chu's tweets than actual content.

It's been over a year and we still don't know what's going on with reaper stalking that family, or who's in the pic with soldier. And that's just an example of the mess of unanswered questions.
02/18/2018 10:57 AMPosted by SunDragon
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Good luck.

I want to be the first to know what you find, Lol;)

Alright. Here I go.

*Jumps*

*Cord snaps and screams as falling*

But Jelly grabs you at the last second, no idea how;)

Here’s to hoping all this waiting has a big pay off.
02/18/2018 10:57 AMPosted by SunDragon
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Good luck.

I want to be the first to know what you find, Lol;)

Alright. Here I go.

*Jumps*

Me: *Watches Sundragon fall*
I should have told him that's how we lost Michael Chu.
Almost 2 years and Pharah lore can still be summarized as: She is Ana's daughter and McCree was on a train once, feels bad man.
The last story-related comic was out in like November? That's at least three months already :(

Though I still hope it is because the writing department is busy on Uprising 2 or new short or story telling medium or something
If you want lore on the non-overwatch non-talon characters - don't get your hopes up, as much as I adore Michael Chu they don't seem to give a flying fook about non-overwatch and non-talon heroes when it comes to lore 9 times out of 10.

It's a very very high likelyhood that the next hero is that monkey hammond, and the cinematic will be around that lore which expands winston lore. And Uprising will likely be more overwatch/talon lore, but this time perhaps from talons pov. So if you're main interest is the core/original overwatch guys(daddy 76, gabe, mercy, torby, ana, and winston) or talon, then you should be plenty happy over the next few months. (I don't include genji and mccree in the main group, they were more sidegroup blackwatch and aren't treated with the same respect as the others when it comes to lore. Gabe was blackwatch, yes, but only after being a founding member of ow - so he's a core guy, not just BW. And mercy is the same age as mccree, yes, but she's reg. ow and they give her and winston the respect lore-wise they dont' give mccree and genji).

If you're longing to know more about D.va, South Korea, India, Symmetra, Vishkar, Lucio, Hanzo, Genji, Japan, Australia, Junk, Hog, etc. non-overwatch/talon ppl - again, don't get hopes up at all, we only get a few things here and there for them, and only rarely a deep-dive into their lore outside of some comic stuff.

The one non-overwatch/talon group that I DO think will get some limelight soonish is Aussieland and Junk/Hog - simply because i'm thinking Junkertown queen is the July hero after the monkey next month, which means they'll be showcasing some Aussie lore which will be freaking nice since it won't be typical OW/Talon dribble.
Sadly the only thing slower than balance/content patching for this game has been the lore development.
Our last chunk of lore came from Moira's release.
Watch the lore be, "Hanzo short #2, also, he's manic-depressive too all of a sudden".

I want it to be a running in joke that Lucio and D.va never be given shorts, and they have no importance in the main storyline. They can be like the Meet The Pyro Short before it came out, elusive and never forthcoming.
Alright. Here I go.

*Jumps*

Me: *Watches Sundragon fall*

Its ok, JellyandJam caught me. Next time we are sending a dummy with a camera down there, or a genji seeing as they can probably just climb out.
02/18/2018 11:44 AMPosted by NotPrepared
Sadly the only thing slower than balance/content patching for this game has been the lore development.

And that brings to question, what are they doing that takes them so long to do both?
Real talk, I only got into Overwatch because of the art, initial comics, and the broken promise of First Strike. I really enjoy the game, but am really disappointed with the utter lack of lore. Hate to say it, but what's the point of having writers if there's nothing to show for it? The most lore we get now comes with hero releases, and even that is pretty open and vague.
Wow, didn’t know there were this many people who care about the Lore.

Keep your thoughts coming;)
Quick someone get the song 'Where's the love' changed the the lyrics to 'Where's the lore' and send it Blizzard.

But seriously some more lore would be neat. Help flesh out more of the characters and their backstories.

I wouldn't mind a Zenyatta short showing his reaction to Mondatta's death and his journey around the world. Or I don't know, how Lucio became famous. Just something, even if they were comics instead of shorts.
Moira is the kind of character who has/had ties pretty much to 3-4 places and organizations and she barely has any interactions in game. We could have seen so many things through her position and yet, she was just thrown in the game to fill a support roster. That's it.

We could get Blackwatch/Overwatch/Oasis/Talon lore through her but no, nothing.
02/18/2018 12:21 PMPosted by SunDragon
...Me: *Watches Sundragon fall*

Its ok, JellyandJam caught me. Next time we are sending a dummy with a camera down there, or a genji seeing as they can probably just climb out.

Or leave Roadhog to hook the person who goes into the void. He'd probably need his old hook for that though.
Still waiting on any kind of lore, ANYTHING, on Zenyatta.

It's been like 2 years man. The voice actor has more headcanons about Zenyatta than any new canon lore tidbits we have and it's a really sad state to be in.
if there were something like a monthly or biweekly comic that would be great. There are so many lore hooks in overwatch but nothing is being built upon and that quality of worlds having a life of their own which progresses outside of player interaction is lacking in overwatch. Furthermore, overwatch has a strong focus on backstory lore which just creates more hooks that don't lead anywhere quickly due to the infrequent lore releases. As it stands story and lore isn't a strength of overwatch, but instead the story exists only to give a stronger impression of any given character.
It feels like sitting in a theater waiting for a play to start, but as soon as a character comes out to introduce themselves they freeze in place for 3 hours until the next character does the same, I'm sitting here waiting for the play to start, and ready for some narrative... please move.

Or leave Roadhog to hook the person who goes into the void. He'd probably need his old hook for that though.
That's how Roadhog lost his old hook. Legend says that if you listen carefully, you can still hear it trying to grab the lore.