Can someone explain what stream sniping is and how it works.

General Discussion
Like, I know what it is in Hearthstone, but not so much with OW. I keep hearing of Tim the Tatman being continually stream sniped, but I don't understand how the person doing this manages to end up in so many of his games to grief him as bad as he does.
its when you queue at the same time as a streamer to usually throw and grief
Stream sniping is watching someone's stream and queuing at the same time as the person streaming to try get into their match. If you manage to get in their match you can view their fov on the stream to see where they are / ult charge / team locations / voice coms / etc...

heavily frowned upon but hard as nails to prove someone is actually doing it.
You get as close to the streamer's SR as you can and then you watch his stream to see when he enters the queue. When he queues, you queue. There aren't that many people with very low/very high SR so if the streamer's either bronze or GM, your chance of getting into his game is almost 100%.

Now, there are two options:

1. you end up on his team and throw

or

2. you end up on the other team and counterpick him while tryharding as hard as you possibly can

It only works for ranked BTW, I tried sniping streamers queuing for duels and never once managed to get it to work, they were always given another opponent and one with SR ridiculously low compared to theirs.
02/20/2018 11:54 AMPosted by Akigoku
its when you queue at the same time as a streamer to usually throw and grief
how likely are you to end up in the same game though? It seems that there are so many players that the odds of ending up in the same game are very slim.
At the high level of play you see in good streamers (gm+) its very common, there are not a ton of players on at that level at any given time.
02/20/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Fuutony89
but I don't understand how the person doing this manages to end up in so many of his games to grief him as bad as he does.

Big streamers have a lot of people queueing up at the same time as them. The chances of someone watching getting into his games are a lot higher than a small streamer or someone in a different rank group.
02/20/2018 11:56 AMPosted by PlayerX
You get as close to the streamer's SR as you can and then you watch his stream to see when he enters the queue. When he queues, you queue. There aren't that many people with very low/very high SR so if the streamer's either bronze or GM, your chance of getting into his game is almost 100%.

Now, there are two options:

1. you end up on his team and throw

or

2. you end up on the other team and counterpick him while tryharding as hard as you possibly can
ok. I understand now. Than you. That was a very informative response.
Stream Sniping: It's an intentional act to try to queue and get placed in the same game/match as the Streamer with the intention of ruining the Streamer's game/stream.

For example, Timthetatman was targeted by that stream sniper who would either get on his team, and throw. Or be on the enemy team and would target Timthetatman over everyone else. Trolling someone for months will eventually make them tilt and Timthetatman almost quit Overwatch over it. It's almost a form of bullying.
02/20/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Fuutony89
I keep hearing of Tim the Tatman being continually stream sniped, but I don't understand how the person doing this manages to end up in so many of his games to grief him as bad as he does.

Someone recognizes a streamer by their in-game name.

Goes onto their stream on Twitch (or YouTube/other streaming service) to confirm they are in the game (they'll know as soon as they see their username in the scoreboard/kill feed) lets it run in the background/on a phone.

Then uses that information from their voices to either throw (if on their team) or get an unfair advantage (knowing where enemies are, where they're positioned and pushing towards).