Why Can't Doomfist Ult out of Grav if it Makes Him Immune?

General Discussion
02/15/2018 11:43 AMPosted by iSinner
If you want to present your opinion as being objective, then yes i need a blue post or any kind of official source for that. Otherwise it is just subjective, which is fine, but don't expect me, or anyone else to agree immediately with you.

Ability description provides an offensive intention.
Doomfist leaps into the sky, then crashes to the ground, dealing significant damage.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/doomfist/

Official hero trailer shows him using it to smash people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pLpQwjGAnA

Everything communicated to us from the start shows it was intended to be used offensively. To pretend it's anything else is, as I said, deliberately obtuse.

Edit: Also for this:
And his ult, which gives him invulnerability, shouldn't be blocked like all skills that give invulnerability.

The other abilities can be activated in Junkrat's trap, AFAIK. Movement is limited, but it's still another example of how Strike is different than the others.
02/15/2018 09:34 AMPosted by Raisins
02/15/2018 09:04 AMPosted by Sheevah

Reaper, Moira, and Orisa can all escape.
I wasn't sure about Reaper, but I had no idea Orisa could. Is it an effect of Fortify? If it is, I am surprised, since Fortify is not immunity, it's just a small extra layer of defense.

Fortify is literally immunity. It's one of the main functions of the ability. It makes you invulnerable to any and all movement impairing effects, up to and including graviton surge, rocket punches, and Reinhardt charges.
02/15/2018 08:49 AMPosted by iSinner
Every immunity skill allows to get out of grav, whats the deal with doomfist ult?

Who told you he had immunity?

REAPER LSHIFT WRAITH FORM-Move faster and you become invulnerable, but you cannot shoot

ZENYATTA Q TRANSCENDENCE-Become invulnerable, move faster, and heal nearby allies.

ORISA LSHIFT FORTIFY-Reduce damage and you cannot be stopped.

DOOMFIST Q Press Q to leap up into the air. Move the targeting circle then press (LMB) to strike the targeted area.

Leaping into the air and being out of sight =/= invulnerable.
02/15/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Shadap
DOOMFIST Q Press Q to leap up into the air. Move the targeting circle then press (LMB) to strike the targeted area.

It does not state it, but it does make him invulnerable. You can't damage him while he's up in the sky now can you?
02/15/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Duke
It does not state it, but it does make him invulnerable. You can't damage him while he's up in the sky now can you?
That's why it defaults to what the intent behind the ability is. Simply because something is implemented in a mechanical fashion that shares qualities with other abilities, it does not mean that they are intended to behave identically across the board.
02/15/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Duke

You could argue that once he's in the air he's invulnerable as a byproduct of being off screen but he has to get there first.

The other characters have abilities that grant immunity to the gravity well's effects which allows them to escape. Doomfist's ability doesn't grant him invulnerability it simply makes him untouchable after he leaves the screen.
So to follow up.

Is that why he pops a squat before he flies up into the air?
02/15/2018 01:07 PMPosted by KulstorEbrou
So to follow up.

Is that why he pops a squat before he flies up into the air?

Yeah, the animation is meant to make it look like he's literally jumping up into the sky. It's pretty cool, imo.
Well it's a massive grav ball that sucks everyone in... If he gets caught in it then he can't get out because.... you know gravity is to strong for him to thunder punch away....
Bump
Leaping into the air and being out of sight =/= invulnerable

Yes, the description of skills are the most accurate in OW. Sure. Lets pretend it is actually relevant xD

He is immune because he can be shot and not take damage a brief moment before going up and landing. Thats why.
Based on your answers and attitude I'll give you the answer you're looking for

Why can't Doomfist ULT out of Grav?

Because he can't.
02/15/2018 06:01 PMPosted by Shadap

Because he can't.

Thanks for the bump bud.
Every immunity skill allows to get out of grav, whats the deal with doomfist ult?

===============================
Edit: responses to "popular" posts for the lazy ones who don't like scrolling:
02/15/2018 08:54 AMPosted by KulstorEbrou
Because he literally springs off the ground.

I'd imagine that would have something to do with it because all players are stuck floating in the grav.

He doesn't need a floor for that. He can do it from anywhere. Did you even play doomfist once?

Immune and mobility are 2 different things zen can use his ult because it’s not a escape ult it’s a heal ult also if he couldn’t grav would be op

===============================
Edit: responses to "popular" posts for the lazy ones who don't like scrolling:
02/15/2018 08:54 AMPosted by KulstorEbrou
Because he literally springs off the ground.

I'd imagine that would have something to do with it because all players are stuck floating in the grav.

He doesn't need a floor for that. He can do it from anywhere. Did you even play doomfist once?

He's technically not leaving the ground or flying above the map when he ults. The way they programmed his ult is a little weird.
bump
02/15/2018 06:19 PMPosted by iSinner
02/15/2018 06:01 PMPosted by Shadap

Because he can't.

Thanks for the bump bud.

No problem.

I'm not against DoomFist gaining invulnerable as part of his ult (I'm for it as I like DoomFist) but the fact is that he doesn't have invulnerability now. If he did he'd be able to escape grav like all the other characters mentioned before.

So instead of complaining how his "invulnerability" doesn't let him escape ask for invulnerability to be added to his ult, especially since they're reviewing him right now*.

* https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761816803?page=1

Good luck
<span class="truncated">...</span>
Thanks for the bump bud.

No problem.

I'm not against DoomFist gaining invulnerable as part of his ult (I'm for it as I like DoomFist) but the fact is that he doesn't have invulnerability now. If he did he'd be able to escape grav like all the other characters mentioned before.

So instead of complaining how his "invulnerability" doesn't let him escape ask for invulnerability to be added to his ult, especially since they're reviewing him right now*.

* https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761816803?page=1

Good luck

If you think i will believe your word over my experience, you must be delusional.

If you want to convince me he doesn't have invulnerability, get some evidence, show me. Otherwise just walk away and don't bother.

I have hundreds of hours of experience on DF, the only thing that can convince me he doesn't have invulnerability frames is some smart case that showcases him taking damage after his ult depleted. And i doubt you are able to come up with such a case, because i'm sure it is impossible.

You trying to convince me that he has no invulnerability is actually stupid, you clearly can test it when he lands and glows blue, he is immune to anything. Same glow happens when he goes into the sky and everything passes through him, i don't even know why you argue this painfully obvious case.

Wait, let me check your stats... oh i see.

You have 1 hour on doomfist.

Just get out and don't speak to me until you get at least 10.
02/16/2018 03:28 AMPosted by iSinner
I have hundreds of hours of experience on DF, the only thing that can convince me he doesn't have invulnerability frames is some smart case that showcases him taking damage after his ult depleted. And i doubt you are able to come up with such a case, because i'm sure it is impossible.

Having invulnerability frames isn't a sufficient condition to allow one to escape grav. If it were, Tracer could recall out of it, and Sombra could Translocate out of it.

And as I said earlier, there's already a basis established that Meteor Strike isn't meant to be treated like the others from both the standpoints of what limited communication we have from official sources indicating it's an offensive maneuver, and the part where Junkrat's trap interacts differently with Meteor Strike than something like Fade or Wraith Form.
02/16/2018 03:40 AMPosted by Sheevah
If it were, Tracer could recall out of it, and Sombra could Translocate out of it.

But they don't have invulnerability frames. They vanish from the game.

Doomfist has invulnerability frames at the start of the jump and at the end, there are moments where you can't hit him while he is still there, like mercy had her invulnerability after res.

02/16/2018 03:40 AMPosted by Sheevah
and the part where Junkrat's trap interacts differently with Meteor Strike than something like Fade or Wraith Form.

But it interacts consistent with grav in the sense that it doesn't treat it like it has invulnerability so it blocks it. The code is the same, so it is natural that it treats it the same. The question i'm asking, why is the code different from other invulnerability skills, not why is the code the same for the trap and grav.

He should escape the trap too, for same reasons why he should escape grav.