Why Can't Doomfist Ult out of Grav if it Makes Him Immune?

General Discussion
But they don't have invulnerability frames. They vanish from the game.

Doomfist has invulnerability frames at the start of the jump and at the end, there are moments where you can't hit him while he is still there, like mercy had her invulnerability after res.

He vanishes from the game to enter the skybox. To debate the mechanical implementations and the animations associated with it is the equivalent of arguing semantics, imo. It's more of a mobility move than it is an invulnerability move, if you want to take a semantical stance.

02/16/2018 05:55 AMPosted by iSinner
But it interacts consistent with grav in the sense that it doesn't treat it like it has invulnerability so it blocks it. The code is the same, so it is natural that it treats it the same. The question i'm asking, why is the code different from other invulnerability skills, not why is the code the same for the trap and grav.

He should escape the trap too, for same reasons why he should escape grav.

Per the patch notes that buffed Grav and brought Doom's release:

Zarya

Graviton Surge
Now disables mobility abilities on all affected targets

Developer Comment: In the past, the abilities that allowed heroes to escape Zarya’s Graviton Surge felt fairly arbitrary. We’re cleaning this up and increasing Graviton Surge's overall power by rendering all movement abilities unusable when an enemy is trapped.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/game/patch-notes/pc?page=4

This implies anything unable to escape grav at that point was an intentional decision, as they went through all the abilities to "clean up" the interactions. The fact that was done on the same exact patch Doom was released adds even more ammo to it being a deliberate decision.

Furthermore, at one point in time, Doomfist *could* use his ult to escape a Junkrat trap (don't think that one made it to live. IIRC, that was only on the PTR). There's even footage still floating around and forum/reddit posts by players discussing it. They 'fixed' that bug (was even in the known issues thread once upon a time, but has long since been deleted, IIRC). Which, again, is a clear indicator it is not intended to be used in the same manner as the defensive moves that provide invulnerability.

[Edit: source on the Junkrat interaction that includes a link to an official bug thread that now registers as 404: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/6lx4u6/doomfist_can_ult_out_of_a_junkrat_trap/]

Literally everything that we have access to from official sources and behaviors leads us to believe it is a 100% intended design choice that Doom's ult is not meant to be used like Fade/Wraith/Fortify so he escape Grav/Trap. To assert that it should be changed will require significantly more reasoning than "those other abilities can do it", as it is apparent that Blizzard does not consider Meteor Strike to be the same ability type as said abilities.
02/16/2018 06:42 AMPosted by Sheevah
He vanishes from the game to enter the skybox. To debate the mechanical implementations and the animations associated with it is the equivalent of arguing semantics, imo. It's more of a mobility move than it is an invulnerability move, if you want to take a semantical stance.

Go play some doomfist and stop pestering me. You clearly have no clue how it works.
02/15/2018 08:49 AMPosted by iSinner
Every immunity skill allows to get out of grav, whats the deal with doomfist ult?

===============================
Edit: responses to "popular" posts for the lazy ones who don't like scrolling:
02/15/2018 08:54 AMPosted by KulstorEbrou
Because he literally springs off the ground.

I'd imagine that would have something to do with it because all players are stuck floating in the grav.

He doesn't need a floor for that. He can do it from anywhere. Did you even play doomfist once?
Come to think of it, if all movement options are supposed to be disabled in Grav, why does Fade not follow that? I know it had the same physics as Wraith Form, but in Moira's case, it's explicitly a movement ability.
02/18/2018 03:47 AMPosted by sopkah
Come to think of it, if all movement options are supposed to be disabled in Grav, why does Fade not follow that? I know it had the same physics as Wraith Form, but in Moira's case, it's explicitly a movement ability

There is no in game classification of skills. Moira is immunity, and mobility. You can classify it as aggressive skill, or defensive, depending on the situation. But that's our classification, not the ingame classifications on which mechanics are built.

Devs deemed it should have same benefits that reapers wraith has, so it does. And it makes sense. For me at least.
Post has been removed due to inappropriate language. We welcome constructive feedback on the forums, but we ask that you avoid the kind of language displayed here. Toxicity in all forms will result in a temporary suspension of forum posting privileges.
Would you really want to use DF ult, to get out of graviton surge? You're basically just wasting it to get away. I personally would rather save it for another engagement. The ult isn't all that good to begin with. Also, If it where allowed ( wouldn't mind it). I'd wouldn't really care. You can dodge the ult. I can get charge off it. Or I'd just treat you like DVA. Kill you off first.
I think the meteor strike is classified as a movement ability in the game, and is therefore disabled in grav.
If anything he should be able to use his ult inside the grav because it's an ultimate. Also because he already has 3 abilities disabled by it, 4 is a bit too much.
02/18/2018 06:28 AMPosted by Hulkie
Would you really want to use DF ult, to get out of graviton surge? You're basically just wasting it to get away. I personally would rather save it for another engagement

At least you would have a choice. Now you don't have a choice.
02/18/2018 03:40 AMPosted by iSinner
Go play some doomfist and stop pestering me. You clearly have no clue how it works.

Clearly, I know more about the history and implementation of Meteor Strike than you do, but I mean, if you just wanna sit around and cry, that's fine. I've presented sources, reasoning, and an argument that you clearly lack the ability to refute, and it's actually kinda cute to watch you squirm over it since you obviously consider yourself a walking wiki for all things Doomfist.

If you ever want to come down from your soapbox and actually refute my arguments, I'll be around. Until then, have fun being a dismissive, pseudo-intellectual forum warrior.
02/15/2018 09:11 AMPosted by iSinner
02/15/2018 08:54 AMPosted by KulstorEbrou
Because he literally springs off the ground

You are literally wrong.

actually you are...you cannot activate his ultimate until you are touching ground. Grav lifts you slightly off ground
actually you are...you cannot activate his ultimate until you are touching ground. Grav lifts you slightly off ground

Actually, you can. 'Cause you can use it after using something like rising uppercut, as an example. ;)