Addressing post-nerf Mercy.

General Discussion
(Please read it all.)

Mercy has become Nerfcy. This is undeniable.

1.) Mercy needs some ground or some kind of foothold because her guardian Angel ability was absolutely slaughtered.

75% of the time when using guardian Angel to fly through combat Mercy WILL die or nearly die.

I suggest keeping the nerf, but make it less harsh on Mercy by changing its value to a reasonable amount. Only reduce it by like 25% not 50%.

2.) Mercy has a ridiculously annoying cast time. Mercy barely can get a ressurect in without dying because of the 1.75S cast time.

This is very harsh, cruel and unusual. Especially since Mercy was literally CREATED to do this task as her SPECIALITY.

3.) Mercy SHOULDN'T be purely battle Mercy. This is what Mercy has become and thus dropping her pick rate because one would rather play a DPS like soldier 76 than a DPS Mercy.

That's right. Mercy is a DPS now. She's not used for healing much anymore.

Before you claim that she's still being used to heal large amounts of health and manipulate the numbers by pulling them around and back again, she isn't the main healer any more.

The main healer is Moira and compared to Mercy, Moira is better in every single way.

Mercy has been thrown away and has been given up on by the developers.
i cri evry tim
I can't help Mercy, except show that Mercy was undeniably and inevitably thrown away and recycled.
No, it's not undeniable. I disagree with every one of your points. I play a lot of Mercy and I can tell you a few things.

1. I will absolutely not be outhealed by any other healer even after the nerfs. It never happens because Mercy is still the most consistent healer.
2. Rez is fine. You shouldn't be trying to resurrect everyone that dies. Only try it when you think you can pull it off or if it's worth the risk to do so. You can do it from behind cover pretty easily.
3. Moira is better than Mercy at dealing damage and burst healing closely-grouped teams. She is not better at everything by a long shot.

I have a 77% win percentage with Mercy in comp in masters this season after the nerf. It sounds like you just need to practice more. I'd be open to discussion, but it sounds like you just want to blame others and complain.
No, it's not undeniable. I disagree with every one of your points. I play a lot of Mercy and I can tell you a few things.

1. I will absolutely not be outhealed by any other healer even after the nerfs. It never happens because Mercy is still the most consistent healer.
2. Rez is fine. You shouldn't be trying to resurrect everyone that dies. Only try it when you think you can pull it off or if it's worth the risk to do so. You can do it from behind cover pretty easily.
3. Moira is better than Mercy and dealing damage and burst healing closely-grouped teams. She is not better at everything by a long shot.

I have a 77% win percentage with Mercy in comp in masters this season after the nerf. It sounds like you just need to practice more. I'd be open to discussion, but it sounds like you just want to blame others and complain.

Honestly I do not see how you didn't mention how Mercy was meant to be for ressurecting and mobility in the get-go.

That was why Blizzard even created her, along with healing, respectfully.

Now, they scrapped both.
Although Moira does more HP/s, Mercy is still the most consistent healer and is still a good pick. You just have to actually try not to die now.
02/18/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Acestial

3. Moira is better than Mercy and dealing damage and burst healing closely-grouped teams. She is not better at everything by a long shot.

Honestly I do not see how you didn't mention how Mercy was meant to be for ressurecting and mobility in the get-go.

Now, they scrapped both.

I don't know who told you that's what her purpose is. I think I remember Jeff saying at one point that she isn't supposed to be a resurrection machine. She should be focused on keeping her team alive, not bringing them back after she failed to do that.

I played a lot of medic in Team Fortress 2 and Mercy is extremely similar to that, so that's what shaped how I play her. There's no resurrect in that game.

I'd be fine if they removed resurrect entirely, honestly. I don't need it and I think too many people use it as a game-changing crutch to erase mistakes.
The guardian angel nerf during valkyrie isn't really such a big deal. Instead of having a movement buff (that she had pre-nerf) she simply has the same Guardian Angel speed as outside of her valkyrie... if you are afraid of dying while flying, then don't fly... You can chain-heal perfectly well from the ground, standing around a corner.

Rez isn't difficult to use, and as Goldlantern says you shouldn't be trying to rez everyone. I would argue that Rez is the one thing that really ruined Mercy for me though. I want to be able to stay mobile, swoop in and out of the front-lines, and be able to react to changing circumstances and go to the places I need to be. Rez is an ability that is exactly the opposite to all those things I want to do. It takes away your ability to move, it takes away your ability to react, and you can not cancel it. I would rather they replaced rez with something else... but I never found it difficult to use, it just ruins my enjoyment of playing Mercy completely.

Battle Mercy is a perfectly viable (from a power perspective) possibility. I did some math, and her DPS isn't actually that far off of Soldier 76, and frankly Mercy would make a pretty good flanker DPS if she had another flanker to tag along with. The problem of playing Battle Mercy is that your team will hate you, they will report you, and you WILL be suspended from playing Overwatch. (I created a thread on this, and I haven't been hated that much since back when I was actually still playing).

So, from a power perspective Mercy isn't ruined. I would say that with the current meta changes Moira is going to be the better healer since she can AoE heal and therefore out-heal Mercy in the hands of a good Moira player. But Mercy is absolutely and definitely ruined for me since she has the whole statue-mode. They should NEVER have made rez an ability, and nobody asked for that kind of change. I wish they had never reworked Mercy even though Mercy 2.x has some interesting qualities. The end result has become much worse than Mercy 1.x though... Perhaps one day we'll see Mercy 3.x and maybe then I'll return. But for now she's ruined and I'm staying away from playing Overwatch...
02/18/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Acestial

Now, they scrapped both.

I don't know who told you that's what her purpose is. I think I remember Jeff saying at one point that she isn't supposed to be a resurrection machine. She should be focused on keeping her team alive, not bringing them back after she failed to do that.

I played a lot of medic in Team Fortress 2 and Mercy is extremely similar to that, so that's what shaped how I play her. There's no resurrect in that game.

I'd be fine if they removed resurrect entirely, honestly. I don't need it and I think too many people use it as a game-changing crutch to erase mistakes.

So what you're saying is you would rather her lose an ability and not gain anything in return?

That's very harsh for a Mercy player to say.
02/18/2018 08:40 AMPosted by Goldlantern

The only reason Mercy is and ever was picked was because of Resurrect, no other reason. Removing it would make her useless.
02/18/2018 08:41 AMPosted by Qwazi
The guardian angel nerf during valkyrie isn't really such a big deal. Instead of having a movement buff (that she had pre-nerf) she simply has the same Guardian Angel speed as outside of her valkyrie... if you are afraid of dying while flying, then don't fly... You can chain-heal perfectly well from the ground, standing around a corner.

Rez isn't difficult to use, and as Goldlantern says you shouldn't be trying to rez everyone. I would argue that Rez is the one thing that really ruined Mercy for me though. I want to be able to stay mobile, swoop in and out of the front-lines, and be able to react to changing circumstances and go to the places I need to be. Rez is an ability that is exactly the opposite to all those things I want to do. It takes away your ability to move, it takes away your ability to react, and you can not cancel it. I would rather they replaced rez with something else... but I never found it difficult to use, it just ruins my enjoyment of playing Mercy completely.

Battle Mercy is a perfectly viable (from a power perspective) possibility. I did some math, and her DPS isn't actually that far off of Soldier 76, and frankly Mercy would make a pretty good flanker DPS if she had another flanker to tag along with. The problem of playing Battle Mercy is that your team will hate you, they will report you, and you WILL be suspended from playing Overwatch. (I created a thread on this, and I haven't been hated that much since back when I was actually still playing).

So, from a power perspective Mercy isn't ruined. I would say that with the current meta changes Moira is going to be the better healer since she can AoE heal and therefore out-heal Mercy in the hands of a good Moira player. But Mercy is absolutely and definitely ruined for me since she has the whole statue-mode. They should NEVER have made rez an ability, and nobody asked for that kind of change. I wish they had never reworked Mercy even though Mercy 2.x has some interesting qualities. The end result has become much worse than Mercy 1.x though... Perhaps one day we'll see Mercy 3.x and maybe then I'll return. But for now she's ruined and I'm staying away from playing Overwatch...

I can agree with your thread and personally, if they shifted Mercy into the direction you were talking about I'd be fine without ressurect as well, but only with fair compensation.

Such as another useful ability that would go along with her future performance in her play style.

I think it'll be a while before she's actually enjoyable and more "viable" in a lucid sense.

So what you're saying is you would rather her lose an ability and not gain anything in return?

That's very harsh for a Mercy player to say.

I didn't say that. I'm just saying that I don't think resurrect has a place in this game. If she didn't have the ability at all, though, I think she'd still be fine. Mercy is incredibly strong in the right hands.

Also, it's weird for you to say that her mobility has been "scrapped" because the only guardian angel nerf Mercy got was to her speed when she's ulting. Her regular guardian angel speed has not been changed ever. With the speed buff she still has in Valk, she's faster now than when she was created, so I think you're confused.
Dude, its nerfy not nerfcy
02/18/2018 08:41 AMPosted by Qwazi

I've been of the same opinion for a while now. Resurrect as it is, just makes Mercy miserable. A new, more engaging ability would make her far better than holding onto res at this point.
02/18/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Goldlantern

I didn't say that. I'm just saying that I don't think resurrect has a place in this game

Oh you're one of THOSE folks.

You're welcome to your opinion of course, but if the game has so many instant kill ults in my opinion, then rez should exist as well.

I'm not against replacing it, but if it's being replaced it needs to be replaced with something else that can counter ults (like every other support save Moira has)
02/18/2018 08:25 AMPosted by Acestial

That's right. Mercy is a DPS now. She's not used for healing much anymore.

hmmm
Dont know why people think Mercy is still the better healer. I out heal Mercy almost every single match as Moria hitting the uper 20ks in healing done with on average of 40-47% of team damage healed.
02/18/2018 09:40 AMPosted by VexedHex
Dont know why people think Mercy is still the better healer. I out heal Mercy almost every single match as Moria hitting the uper 20ks in healing done with on average of 40-47% of team damage healed.

I wouldn't say better for either but rather its dependent on the situation. That said I usually out heal the Moira on my team. I think that comes down to how the match played out, and that Moiras are more free to damage on my team since I usually keep my team topped off.