Is Overwatch dying?

General Discussion
02/19/2018 07:30 PMPosted by datpotatoe
No, why in the hell do people keep asking this?

Gigantic is dying. Lawbreakers is dying. Games like these have a quantifiable decline in playerbase.

Meanwhile what indication is there that Overwatch isn't as popular as ever to cause people to constantly ask whether the game is dying or not?
I mean, they keep having Free Weekends and half-off sales...if that doesn't scream "we need more players" then I don't know what does.
Yeah. MatchMaking is taking a good 5-10 seconds lately.
02/19/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Gooby
Discuss.

No. Lock the topic and move on
02/19/2018 05:13 PMPosted by Jamster
However, if they somehow make a mistake like Mercy 2.0 it would probably cause a lot of issues. Especially if they do it soon. I think they really need to up the pace on balancing. They also really need to either use the PTR for actual balance testing or at the very least use it more frequently. Waiting for metas to settle down and see whats truly broken is not a good balance strategy.

That first sentence is the reason why most of my friends stopped playing. Also I agree with everything else you said. Couldn't have said it better myself.
02/19/2018 05:32 PMPosted by Gooby
02/19/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Gooby
Discuss.

02/19/2018 05:08 PMPosted by Crimpson
No. Stop it with these threads. They aren't helping with bringing people into the game with telling people that your thoughts the game is dying.
I like to see it more as a way for people to discuss what state they think the game is currently in.

Especially if they agree with you and give you imaginary internet points.
02/19/2018 07:53 PMPosted by KyuubiJRR
02/19/2018 07:30 PMPosted by datpotatoe
No, why in the hell do people keep asking this?

Gigantic is dying. Lawbreakers is dying. Games like these have a quantifiable decline in playerbase.

Meanwhile what indication is there that Overwatch isn't as popular as ever to cause people to constantly ask whether the game is dying or not?
I mean, they keep having Free Weekends and half-off sales...if that doesn't scream "we need more players" then I don't know what does.

The game is AAA price, or close to it. It's also facing stiff competition from new, flashy games such as Fortnite, PUBG, and the soon to release Sea of Thieves, that draw a lot of attention on Twitch

I don't think the game is dying. However, the number of people playing has certainly declined for one reason or another. I think the level of toxicity is a major factor, though the buffs and reworks to certain characters should alleviate some of that. Refining competitive mode so matchmaking actually does it's job (and doesn't create mismatches) and so performance based SR is removed should bring a lot of competitive-only players, like me, back.

For those who leave because of changes to heroes, good riddance. If you were so emotionally invested into one character that you couldn't take it when they were inevitably changed, you needed to get out a long time ago.
It's not dying but it isn't growing, pretty much reached its saturation point and now it's going to taper off over a few years.