Can someone please explain the logic of Widow to me?

General Discussion
I do not understand how you are supposed to defend from a one-shot kill from across the entire map?

You don't even get to see your target, you are just walking and then you are dead.

How is this compelling gameplay?
Barriers.

Dodge.

Kill the Widow.

Pick one.
Don't walk in a straight line through an open area when the Widowmaker is around...
its extremely hard for widow to hit a strafing target especially if they are moving fast or behind a shield. unless its diamond and above you could probably crouch spam and live
Keep your head down or loose it.
I also thought that Widowmaker was OP, when she killed me after I used Shadow Step in front of her. But now I don't think she's OP anymore. I actually reckon that you will change your mind too, one day.
02/20/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Zish
I do not understand how you are supposed to defend from a one-shot kill from across the entire map?

You say this as if it takes no effort to one shot someone.
Sniper! Don't get caught!
You could try Sombra, Tracer, Genji and Reaper, they pretty much uppercut her into the sun.
02/20/2018 11:49 AMPosted by Reaper
I also thought that Widowmaker was OP, when she killed me after I used Shadow Step in front of her. But now I don't think she's OP anymore. I actually reckon that you will change your mind too, one day.
you thought widow was op because with a full-charged sniper shot to the head kills you?!?
Against a truly good Widow your only defense is Orisa (good Widows headshot Winston out of the sky). Her barrier blocks the snipe and you can use the gun/Halt to harass the Widow. If you're caught in the open you can survive a headshot.
In every shooting game I hate snipers, I think they are the biggest cowards in the games, because they can only kill at the distance, I always say things like "Screw you snipers, screw you widowmaker, you cant fight like a man" and things like that

However that doesnt mean is easy to play them, snipers are complicated and widow is no exception, you have to play safe in structures and not moving straight so widow doesnt headshots you, you need barriers, Green Ninjas and Giant gorillas to kill snipers here, so Logic isnt something that can apply here
I mean she's a sniper man that's sort of the point? She's really supposed to take out whoever she can. If you put yourself in a position where you get one shot knowing there's a decent or good widow on the enemy team then it's really your own fault. Plenty of ways to avoid her.
Given the fact that you have 5k posts. You probably are trolling the forums at this point.
You stay moving. Not in a straight line, mind you, nor by jumping. You can, however ADAD-Crouch spam.

You also shoot at her once you know where she is. Her scope makes her not too aware of her surroundings, so receiving damage tends to put pressure on her, messing up her aim if not making her leave her perch entirely.
02/20/2018 11:51 AMPosted by GeoGhostX
02/20/2018 11:49 AMPosted by Reaper
you thought widow was op because with a full-charged sniper shot to the head kills you?!?

Sigh. Why do I even bother.
02/20/2018 11:53 AMPosted by Dasaries
Given the fact that you have 5k posts. You probably are trolling the forums at this point.

And given the fact that you have barely more than 100, I'll assume that you are so new that you had no idea the total is from all Blizzard forums.
For one, even a decent Widowmaker requires a lot of mechanical skill, which is rather noteworthy. Someone who can track well with a sniper is most likely going to be a major asset to the team and cripple the enemy when played right.
Also, Widowmaker has a lot of weaknesses in close quarters, hence her need to stay away from the brunt of the fight. I get that it sucks to be one-shot (a legitimate one-shot, not just multiple damage sources in short time-frame), but there are strengths and weaknesses to each character. Do remember that she is a Defense hero: she specializes in zoning areas. Having the possibility of being one-shot or losing a major amount of health is usually enough to encourage shields, strafing, or just outright avoiding the area.
You gotta choose your battles.
The best course of action is to be mindful of the info you're given. Once the match starts you can check to see who's on the opposing team, and there will be audio queues from your character and/teammates letting you know there's a sniper. If you do get killed, watch the kill cam. It'll let you know where they're hiding, and you can plan accordingly.
02/20/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Zish
You don't even get to see your target

Widow needs line of sight, if you didn't see the Widow that's on you.