Protoss Discussion

Aug 7 Myco's Guide to Lower Leagued toss players. THIS GUIDE HAVE BEEN UPDATED for LoV: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/sc2/topic/20768797113?page=1#post-7 I've been mentoring many lower league toss players and I've decided to write out a guide about common problems I noticed/things most people need to work on. Note: this is a guide intended for bronze/silver players mostly, so you may disagree with some points here and there, but I believe its easier for new players to understand the game first before looking into deeper strategies/micros/etc.. If anyone thinks that there is anything this guide is missing, you are welcome to point it out and I'll gladly add it. _________________________________________________________________ 1.) The Basics 1.1) Probe Production Perhaps the biggest problem I've noticed among lower leagued players is that they don’t make nearly enough workers. Generally speaking, you should never hold your probe production until you are around 80’ish probes. The key to a powerful army is a strong economy, which is powered by a lot of probes. Don’t worry about how making too many probes is going leave you without enough army, unless you’re going for some rush builds (k4g for example),there is never a time where lots of workers are gonna hurt you. You dont need to make worker non-stop past early game, but you need to remember to chrono boost out a pair of worker once in a while. 1.2) Chrono Boost Chrono boost is another important thing that most low league players miss. You should never save up chrono boost off 1 base unless you are getting an important tech soon. Toss production and research are fairly slow so chrono boost is essential to keep yourself ahead in a game. The importance level of things that needs to be chrono boosted are as follows (imo): Warpgate tech (prob most important tech, worth saving up chrono for)>Extended Thermal Lance/Psi-Storm>Other Upgrades>Robo/Stargate Units>Probes>Warpgates (Late game when you have spare). Of course you need to use early game chrono boosts wisely. Usually you should chrono out your 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th probes. After that if you do not require a super fast warpgate you can maybe spend another 1-2 chrono on workers, but save at least one for warpgate. In mid-late game once your on 2-3base, you can feel free to chrono anything you need out fast. It will help a lot to get some vital upgrades out. 1.3) Supply This is yet another common problem. Players tend to either make too many pylons thus wasting valuable resource early on or get supply blocked and have their production halted. Supply block at a bad time can easily cost you the game. It is quite hard to not get supply blocked at all during mid-late game. But I'd suggest that every time you goes through 1 production cycle of units (made some units from your production buildings) add 1 pylon for every base you have and maybe a extra one if you’re going supply costly unit like Colossi. Early game though, a good time to drop your pylon will be: 1st pylon at 9 supply, 2nd at 15-16, third at 22-24, 4th at around 30. This should allow you to stay ahead in supply early game without wasting much resource. 1.4) Production Buildings 1 Protoss base can support a maximum of 4 production buildings continuously making units. So you should not have more then 4 production building when you’re on 1 base. If you are going high tech units such as Colossi off of 1 base, you usually can only support continuous production off of 3 buildings (1 robo 2gates). More importantly, once you have expanded add more production buildings so that you can effectively turn your resources into army. You don’t need another 4 buildings up as soon as your expo is up but get them gradually as you saturate your expansion.Mycophobia320 Aug 7
Aug 31 Protoss Micro Tips Note: If you are plat or below, macro is still MUCH more important than micro. Focus on just having more units than your enemy, rather than controlling the few units you have. General Micro Tips: 1. Are your zealots in front of your stalkers? 2. Are your low-health units in the back of your army before you attack? 3. Are your immortals attacking armored units? 4. Are your colossus attacking clumped up units? If the entire enemy army is clumped, than focus on attacking light units (marines, hydras, zealots) 5. When defending your ramp, A. Are your units in a concave at the top of your ramp? B. Are you cutting his army into bite-size pieces? C. Are your zealots on hold so they arent attacked by the units beneath your forcefield? D. Are your stalks far back enough to not get hit by the units beneath the forcefield? 6. Are you moving units under fire to the back of your army? 7. You can somewhat kite-attack marines, roaches (assuming they dont have movement speed yet), and zealots with stalkers 8. You can forcefield the enemy ramp to prevent him from reinforcing the units that are at his natural expansion. 9. When chasing down an enemy, pull your zealots back to prevent kiting (from maruaders, roaches, hydras) 10. In order to bunker, cannon, or spine crawler bust move your army just outside the range of the static defense and put them on hold, then, attack move your colossus (with the range upgrade) into the static defense. 11. Put health bars on, so you can see which units are low health. 12. Psionic Storm does not stack, so do not throw down more than 1 storm in the same place. 13. Before an attack, put your units in a quick concave with zealots in front to help get a concave sooner when the attack begins. 14. Colossus can abuse high ground by attacking units on the low ground and then moving back once the units move in to attack the colossus. 15. stalkers can chase fleeing units. 16. Do you have functional control groups? (For example, I have 1 as my army, 2 as my sentries, 3 for HTs or collosus, 4 for nexuses, 5 for tech, 6 for observer) 17. Remember to move your HTs back once they have stormed to prevent them from running into the enemy army. 18. Make sure your sentries aren't tanking damage for stalkers. Your sentries are spellcasters, not dps dealers or tanks, so once your zealots are dead, MOVE THEM BACK. 19. With the interceptor upgrade, carriers can launch their interceptors and move away from the enemy. Rinse and repeat. 20. Spread out your dark templar to force the enemy to react to different locations. Also, the enemy will need multiple sources of detection in order to counter your harass. 21. Blink can be used to blink back the stalkers with lowest health to the back of the army. Also, Blink can be used to get a faster concave against the enemy. Additionally, You can ensure that all your stalkers will blink to high ground or low ground by right clicking to the point where you want to blink FROM, hold shift and click B at the place where you want your stalkers to blink TO, then right click past that point which will make the stalkers move thus giving the other stalkers room to blink (hold shift the whole time). 22. Moving your sentry forward with guardian shield popped can cover your zealots with guardian shield, which will help them last a lot longer against ranged units and especially marine armies. 24.Morph your HTs into archons if they are out of energy or just got EMPed. You can also do this with DTs, if they have mobile detection. 25. Before I engage I try to attack in multiple locations to distract my opponent and catch his main army off guard. 26. Bring a probe with your army and make pylons along the way as you move out. Protoss versus Zerg Micro Tips The goal of micro versus zerg is to allow the majority of your units to attack while only a few zerg units can attack. 1. Are you keeping your units in a ball to prevent speedling surround? This changes when facing infestors. Spread out your army to prevent money fungal growth chains. 2. Are you attacking through constricted pathways? (attacking in the open makes it harder to forcefield and you need more forcefields) This changes when infestors are out (then you want to attack in open pathways, while spreading your army). 3. Are you cutting his roach army and hydra army into bite size chunks with ffs to prevent most of them from attacking? 4. Have an observer ahead of your army so you know when and where you are going to have to ff. 5. Make sure your colossus are attacking lings or hydras. 6. Make sure your army is not attacking broodlings, but actual units.yaegz289 Aug 31
Jul 25, 2010 Forum Guidelines - Please Read Welcome to the StarCraft II discussion forums! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss all aspects of StarCraft II with your fellow players. Community forums work best when participants treat their fellow posters with respect and courtesy. Therefore, we ask that you take the time to read through the forum Code of Conduct before posting. Search The new search function at the top of the StarCraft II community site is extremely robust. Please be sure to use it to look for similar topics, blog posts, or web pages that may contain the answer before creating your forum topic. Making a new thread on an existing subject will likely result in your thread being deleted. If you continue to repost it you're likely to have your posting privileges suspended for spamming. Worst of all, you'll be making the other forum goers upset that you didn't take a minute to search before posting. Rating The new rating system can be used to promote positive discussion, and demote unhelpful posts, or even report posts that violate the forum code of conduct. By hovering over a post you'll be presented with a thumbs up, and a thumbs down icon. Clicking the 'thumbs down' icon you can choose from a few options. Dislike will rate the comment down. If enough people dislike a post it will be darkened, or with a lot of dislikes it will be hidden. You can also quickly report a post as trolling or spam, or use the report function to fill out a more comprehensive description of the violation. You can only rate each post once. Use it wisely to help foster a positive and helpful forum community. Guidelines In addition to the forum Code of Conduct, here are some common courtesy guidelines to follow. While these do technically fall within the bounds of the Code of Conduct, these cover more specific examples of common errors that will lead to thread deletions or posting privileges being revoked. The StarCraft II forums are for discussion of topics directly related to StarCraft II The forums here are specifically to discuss the game and related topics. Any topics not related to StarCraft II, Battle.net or Blizzard are subject to deletion. Don't post in all capital letters, use a misleading title, excessive punctuation, non-standard symbols, etc. While everyone wants their posts read, we ask you to refrain from using these types of tactics in order to bring more people to your thread. Let your post stand on its own merit. Threads violating this guideline are subject to deletion. Using the words Blizzard, Blue, or any community team members name in a thread topic is frowned upon Everyone would like Blizzard to read and acknowledge his or her post, and we understand that. However, use of such words in the topic does not help that come to pass. Please make your thread title relevant to the post subject. Threads violating this guideline are subject to deletion. Posting "First" or IBTL constitutes as spamming You will be suspended if you create a post that is intended to call out that you achieved a specific reply number in a thread. This is considered spamming. Posting IBTL (in before the lock) is not helpful and if you feel a thread should be moderated please use the rating button to do so. Do not bump posts The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called 'necro bumping' or 'necroing'). Petition posts are frowned upon These are discussion forums, and as such we ask that you hold discussions. Creating a thread to ask for replies as votes is not a discussion. Threads violating this guideline are subject to deletion. Do not post about locked or deleted threads Posts that are moderated have a reason behind the moderation. It's up to you to read the forum code of conduct and these guidelines to determine what you did wrong, learn from your mistake, and attempt to post again without breaking any rules.Bashiok0 Jul 25, 2010
1d How do you play PvP ? So PvP is my worst match up. In general, how do you play against another Toss player.Rich3 1d
1d PvT: A difficult early-game push So in PvT, I've come across a particular 1-base push (although the Terran player expands behind it) that is somewhat difficult to defend against. Of course, seeing no early expansion or Reaper (usually a marine chases away your scouting probe) should clue one in, but it could be a Cyclone push or marine rush. Anyway, the attack involves a Medivac drop of 4 to 6 marines and a Widow Mine in your main. This in itself is a nuisance but not too hard to deal with - however, at the same time, a Liberator swoops into your natural and starts raining plasma bolts upon your workers. What's the best way to defend against this, especially if there's also the risk of some other kind of 1-base push? I tried this myself, playing as Terran, and it's incredibly painful. Though my opponent pulled their probes to avoid the Widow Mine, they didn't spot the Liberator and I ended up killing almost 40 probes with it, and just to add insult to injury, the Widow Mine detonated on their Oracle! They had a 2nd Oracle that was being a pain in my main, but pulling workers and having a few marines at home made sure it couldn't do much damage (and in hindsight, I realised I could have easily built a Viking to help chase it away). ADDENDUM: I'm in Diamond 3, as were my opponents.Kit8 1d
1d Lost because I used F2 to break Zealot wall https://drop.sc/replay/9225829 PvZ Seriously, why can't Protoss have a wall like Terran?? I pressed the F2 key to focus up my void rays, then my Zealots joined in, making my base wide exposed. The zerg made 3 bases, I would have easily won doing a simple macro, but Zerg just ling rushed and destroyed my base.RektTrashEZ2 1d
2d How to slow down Zerg macro below Plat Hey all. I can't figure out how to slow down the zerg early-mid game. I don't have the apm to get value out of early Adept harass, and Zergs lately seem pretty prepared for the Pheonix+Oracle timing with queens and spores. Dunno how to slow them down enough to get my storm or disrupter timings prepared. Is skytoss the answer?Wotan5 2d
2d Mass Widow Mines with Unlimited Scan and Spam Terran vs Protoss. So I have tried numerous times to beat this and I can't seem to do it (Diamond Level). Terran masses widow mines with Thors and other units, fight begins, he burrows, spams the scan ability, targets observers, I have to run. Try to recover, mass widow mines come in, I see them, he spams the scan ability, destroys observers, I have to run. Gets to base, spams the scan ability, I do what I can to keep my observers alive, yet all it takes is 1 widow mine blast and they just rinse repeat until my army is decimated. Is there a way to stop this? Widow mines combined with unlimited Scan just dominate this game. I have no way of stopping his ability to see cloaked units yet he can destroy mine in an instant.AdmiralWok5 2d
2d Army Composition per race? Okay all. What's your army look like when facing Zerg, Terran and Protoss? What does your army look like early, mid to late game?Rich4 2d
4d En taro adun.. I will be returning to SC2 for the new season and new patch on Tuesday, 11/20! If you're an old fan from the good old days, come say hi! If you're new to Starcraft and your favorite streamer is offline, come learn together with me! I will be super bad, but hopefully will get my skills back fast. I took time off streaming and the game to finish college and take my MCAT and both are now done. We all love starcraft and it's great to have content creators and streamers after all these years! Also, first 20 followers will get a free streamed hour of coaching (when I'm less super bad). Twitch.tv/archonsc2 https://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/sc2-international/players/3040_Archon See you in game! Protoss for life.Archon2 4d
6d So...this cannon rush. I don't understand how to stop this. I probe scouted, saw a forge, but it was too late. I really don't know what to do. Every game is some sort of cheap crap like this. https://drop.sc/replay/8908254 How was I supposed to react?Casorus3 6d
Nov 30 Protoss is the best race P>Z P>T T=Z Protoss is the best race. Edit: Ok I'll write some more. I main zerg and when I start up a game and decide hmmm what units should I go this game... lings, roaches, blings... oh hey SAME THING every game! When I play secondary race protoss hoollllyyy so good, at the beginning of game I can decide ok what kind of cool stuff can I do to roflstomp my opponent? 4gate? what kind of 4gate- fast korean 4 gate?, fast regular @18 4gate?, conservative @24 4-gate? 3gate expand? LOL cannon rush? DT? 2 stargate VR? 1 star phoenix? proxy vr? FORGE FE into 2 robo? forge FE into double stargate? blink stalker rush? OH MY GOD SO MANYYYY i wish i was better at protoss =[ my favorite PvZ build is-- cannon contain into nexus before gateway, then 2 stargate void rays. LOL? mass roach to try to break contain? nope too many cannons and forcefield ur ramp. NYDUS? nice try. mass even more roach? too late void rays on the way. and if somehow you manage to break thru grats I'm on 2 base with dark shrine and fleet beacon almost done.isospeedrix36 Nov 30
Nov 30 Protoss Questions Hi there! I switched from Terran beginning this year, and after practicing a lot I'm now feeling more and more confident with my Protoss play in general and I think the race is everything I was looking for. With the goal of improving, I have a couple of questions that hopefully you can answer (or point me in the right direction): 1.The Chargelot+Immortal+Archon is a very powerful composition without any doubt, but I'm a little curious about the percentages of each unit in the army. Of course it depends a lot in the situation, but how much chargelot/immortals/archons/ should I make? Like for example, in PvT, if the guy makes a lot of Libs if I don't have enough archons/stalkers my entire army gets completely destroyed. 2.In PvT, do I just skip building colossi and go straight up into Archons/Stoms? Because I notice that they just get sniped in the first battle by vikings and stalkers don't do well against stimmed MMM. 3.The general perception of Stalkers is that they are very cost ineffective in straight up battles, but if you "micro them" they are amazing for harassing. Basically I want to know what should I do to micro them effectively, what's your opinion on this topic? 4.On PvP battles, I'm supposed to focus down the Immortals, right? 5.How do you hold vrs Terrans dropping everywhere? Is it better to invest in cannons or just have Stalkers babysitting in your base? I guess you can also counterattack with DT's since dropping is very micro intensive for the Terran. 6.In PvZ, I like opening with Robo because Immortals are life, but I need to scout a lot to detect early any muta switch. I think that everybody prefers opening with stargate, but I think that gives the greenlight to Zerg to go straight up into mass hydras (like every game in plat). 7.Can you share what's your most important thing to keep in mind in every matchup? Sorry if my questions are a bit too out there. I generally overthink everything, but I'm really open to feedback. En taro Adun!IronVictory4 Nov 30
Nov 28 What does cols turret tracking do What does colossus turret tracking do exactly.monster4 Nov 28
Nov 23 Invisible protis sniper wtf is that?Karune43 Nov 23
Nov 18 Protoss Questions. As one who has returned from a long -long- hiatus (2 years to be precise) I wanted to poke around and ask; How is my favorite race holding up? What is the Protoss Meta? How does Protoss fair against Zerg and Terran early/mid/late game? Is Adept/Phoenix/Oracle harass still a good early game strat? (In terms of poke, anyways). Thanks in advance. ^_^Legion4 Nov 18
Nov 17 Are Mass Voids balanced? All the years now I've played SC2 and I've really never found a way to counter them as protoss or zerg that's really fair unless it's crazy spamming anti-air and I don't think that's really what army composition should be about but it looks like that's just the status quo and will continue to beBard8 Nov 17
Nov 13 How to Deal with Terran Bio in Silver? I'm not ranting or whining about the balance of the game, I'm just having trouble dealing with Terrans going bio. I've tried several units but I can't seem to beat it...LEETHELIVER7 Nov 13
Nov 12 Pvp canon rush.... please nerf...or msc The game its boring when you have to play canon rush... before with msc was possible to hold. The game should be to enjoy and can go mid/late game... not just to end in 30 seconds.... Wont play again till this is fixed... (most protoss players are leaving the game, time to wake up ballance team)Lis6 Nov 12
Nov 12 Masters PvP: 100% Cannon Rush Defence I am 4600 Masters, with 65% win-rate in PvP; like many of you, cannon rushes were the bane of my existence and made me rage more than anything else on ladder; I, therefore, came up with a cannon rush defence (a long time ago) that works 100% of the time and thus allows me to derive great pleasure in crushing any cannon rushing noobs I come across; the procedure is as follows: 1. At 12 Supply: 1.1. Send a probe to the enemy base, hotkey this probe --You want to select a probe the moment the game starts and move command it anywhere towards the enemy, then hotkey and move command it to the enemy main; the trick is to “get the probe moving” as soon as the game starts, it takes a little practice to acquire the speed/precision --Keep your eye on the mini-map for enemy probes crossing your probe’s path; if you see one enemy probe, you should be on alert; if you see two enemy probes, he’s definitely cannon rushing you or setting up a proxy 2. At 14/15 Supply: 2.1. Normal Pylon/Gateway, but placement is KEY; place them at the edge of your main ramp, with your pylon on the side furthest away from the typical low-ground enemy cannon placement area; it takes 3 structures to block your ramp (Pylon/Gateway/Forge) which is why we want our first Gateway/Pylon on the edge of our main ramp. At the same time, your probe will be entering the enemy base, check his first structure: --If his first structure is a Gateway, try to steal his gas (this will compensate you for the early scout; it is a good idea to say “glhf” right before your probe enters his base so he will be fumbling around typing while you are stealing his gas) --If his first structure is a Forge, build a Forge at your main ramp to completely block it off, and hide your scouting probe somewhere; the point of this is to prevent his probes from getting into your main 3. The game can go a few ways from here: 3.1. If he built a Gateway: 3.1.1. If you gas capped him you will have tech advantage and he will probably try to fast expo; if you didn’t gas cap him, you are slightly behind but no big deal; continue as normal 3.2. If he built a Forge: 3.2.1. If he is smart, he will not build any cannons and probably try to fast expo (he thinks you’re trapped inside your base); build your Cybercore, use your scouting probe (that you hid earlier) to build a proxy Pylon, and clap him as you see fit; four-gate, blink, skillrays, whatever (you have tech advantage because of your faster Core + his fast expo + he will waste minerals on defensive cannons); check for ninja bases, don’t forget about oracle threats (build battery in min line), and remember cannon noobs always make a skillrays!! 3.2.2. If he is an idiot, he will proceed with his cannon rush, and you will win the game easily; he needs to break through your wall with cannons and in order to do that he needs high-ground vision; throw down ONE cannon near your ramp (out of the range of his cannon) to kill any probes he sends up the ramp for vision (therefore ONE cannon protects you from any number of cannons he has on the low-ground, because he does not have high-ground vision!); note that your first cannon will be up shortly after his because of your later Forge (you will take a little damage), but your wall should not break before your cannon kills his spotting probe --If he sent two probes and he is good (rarely see a good cannon rusher) he can use them to damage your blocking Pylon/Gateway/Forge (usually Pylon if it is in range of his cannon) and break through it before your own cannon can kill his probe (rare but it can happen), so (to be safe) you should make a second Pylon close to your Nexus that covers your ramp structures and allows you to place a second cannon (only if NECESSARY) in range of anything he can build in your main (e.g., if he breaks the wall and sends two probes through your cannon fire, managing to get one in range of his high-ground Pylon power, you can build a second cannon to shut that down) --When his cannon rush fails, he will either double down with shield batteries and skillrays in your nat, or fast expo (possibly ninja expo) behind it with skillrays (remember; cannon noobs always build skillrays!); you’re now on a timer to press your tech advantage because he will be ahead in eco; as noted above, it’s best to build a proxy pylon with your scouting probe (that you hid earlier) and break him with some kind of one-base strategyllllllllllll3 Nov 12
Nov 10 Noob: How do you attack cloaked units? I just played a match against a protoss player and he came into my base with just a few invisible units that I COULD NOT attack. I had a sizable army but it was wiped because I couldn't fight back. Can anyone tell me how to attack cloaked units? I play Protoss btwpeaceyp21 Nov 10
Nov 2 what to use as toss vs cyclons and firebats? Hi, i am platinum 1 and use protoss and play very often against a friend who is platinum 3 and uses terran. The problem is that a frind who is a master teaches him how to beat me and he has been using firebats and cyclons, he gets them really quick and and don´t really know how to beat that. I was thinking about blink stalker and inmortals, what do you think? and what would be the fastest build order to do so, because i also have to expand fast. thanks guys.RaDo4 Nov 2
Oct 30 I will never... ... listen to Terran's whine again. When they said that BCs are trash, that they have no lategame, blablabla, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Sure BCs don't have siege range and such. I already lost a few time to BCs, but I also won a few time against them. So I already suspected that they weren't nearly as bad as them claimed they were. But I never had this : https://drop.sc/replay/8215311 First of all, I did some test. There is no Protoss unit Supply efficient against BCs in a straight up fight. They claim Stalkers and Tempest wreck them... they actually don't. Voidrays are even worse since they get OS by Yamato. The only cost efficient way to beat them is with a similar strat than Stalkers vs Cyclone. Use the fact that Tempest have a low attack speed and BCs a fast attack speed. But you pretty much need to go through the entire map to do so. But what if the Terran has half a brain ? Yamato the Tempest (fun fact, 2 Yamatos kill a Tempest even with full shield regen between the 2 shot) and jump out of there. Attacking the Terran ? Look at this turtling ! A freaking PF on the ramp of his natural ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Even on his expansions, how do you attack a PF with Turrets with less than 50 supply ? There's no "don't let them get there" like with Carriers. Normally a turtling Terran can be dealt with Tempest, but Tempest are actually bad against what they are suppose to counter. I used Storm to kill the SCVs (yeah mass repair) and GS because it impact a lot their autoattack... not enough. Worst of all, they can get 150+ supply of unit with mass OC. If you try to take the entire map as Protoss, you need mass probes... which is really bad against a maxed low SCV count. This guy, I think I could beat with an harass tactic (with my main army, nothing short of that works). But again, if he actually was good, he can Jump on my army, or even in my main base, I just cannot contest that (I tried to save one of my expansion with recall, that's pretty much when I lost the game). Seriously, when are the Tempest getting buff ? They are bad against Carriers and BCs. What more do you need to see how trash of a unit this is ? Attack speed, speed, damage, shooting while moving... I take whatever. BCs, PF, Sensor towers, Turrets, MULEs. And ofc, it's impossible to scout before you see the BCs, nice Turret ring... If someone actually has something that works against that, plz let me know. Right now I'm thinking mass Hallucination to make them waste Yamato shot... but that's not what I would call viable against a good player. Other than that, mass turtling trying to take more bases than him ? With the Tempest sitting behind a wall of canon/SB. Still a !@#$ty strat really.Papanarbre10 Oct 30
Oct 30 Archons Can we get a unit change to make the archons fit a bit better in mineral lines, they are a bit clunky around them now. This would just be making the archons a bit smaller.Jmike6 Oct 30
Oct 29 I just want to be Florencio He is my hero, what are your tips and tricks for being this amazing?CAPSLOCKSON2 Oct 29
Oct 20 just dont bother. ...BLEACHKILLZ3 Oct 20
Oct 18 I cant expand. At a loss. Scenario - attempting to expand. 1 Gate before expo, got a forge as well. (Dreamcatcher ) PvZ Zerg expoes, I expo. Im thinking okay Im good, I scout some Ravagers, I already had a Robo so I immediately start chronoing Immortals. I get to 4 immorts, zealots , adepts. Im defending a 2 base all in, expo falls because I just dont have enough units against a zerg (macro hatch in main, saw in replay) I finally push him back. I expand again, retaking my nat. at this point im at 8/8 workers , 6 on gasses. I had to pull a lot earlier to stay alive. by this point hes saturated his nat. (replay) he doesnt have a third base. Then he sends the next and final wave. Ive killed a lot of units up to this point. ravagers, lings . I lose all but 1 of my 4 immorts. I lose the game. How does that make sense? why do I have to kill infinity units but If I lose a few key units its game over? Time to go stargate every game? because doing the same thing every game is so much fun.Deathwing7 Oct 18
Oct 18 most noob-friendly splash damage Hello there, I have recently gotten back into playing some ladder games. I quit for a couple of months, and I'm currently at low-platinum level. aka 'huge noob l2p'. I've noticed that my standard tactic of 'make some archons, make some zealots' doesn't really work against marine-heavy terran plays. I'm pretty sure that I need some kind of splash damage, yet I don't really have the micro to be using storm or disruptors, do you think I should try to improve on using those abilties or look for a more 'a-move' comp? Advice is greatly appreciated.infinity2 Oct 18
Oct 17 Dark days ahead I'm starting to seriously question the balance team. Terran have the mobility, a much stronger midgame. They are almost impossible to harass between the PFs and Turrets past the early game. But they want to give them even more mobility with the Medivac boost. They want to reduce our ability to counter a doomdrop with a Feedback nerf. Seriously I just had a game with 8-10 canons protecting my main, but not a problem, all the Medivacs went through. And then they just die to bio. I rebuild, he knows there are canons, but he does it again, not a problem. They are nerfing our lategame, buffing the Terran lategame. The midgame stays Terran favored. What will be left ? Only cheese ? Frankly, even that... a Terran playing safe will die to nothing early on. Since the Marauder buff, we already have to delay our tech in order to survive the first stim timing. And then they have their Liberators, and you need to go to a complete different tech route to counter that. And then the lategame is not even that Protoss favored, because of those freaking Ghost which remove all shield and the usefulness of all of our gas intensive units (Archons, HT, Sentries). They say Carrier imba, but I never have the opportunity to make one. They are useless in small numbers anyway. And all that with perfect scout while the Terran just need to scan. I'm not even talking about all the proxies. They want to nerf "game ending moment", well they can start by removing the WM. There's no game ending moment like a WM drop. Well except Ghost maybe. And they are buffing both of those, the WM with the upgrade and the Ghost with the Feedback nerf. Yes the Colossus and Sentry are good changes, but that's hardly a buff compared to everything else. We should be thankful to have a QOL change with the warpgate maybe ? I like the Tempest change, but I hope it won't only be seen with cheese. Because at this rate, that's the only thing which will be left. They want to go through all this ? If they don't buff our early midgame, Protoss will be a dying race. We already are very few in Diamond, lagging at pro level... It's depressing.Papanarbre10 Oct 17
Oct 17 Players with best Micro? There are many great players like Zest. Which players are the best at micro and using spell casting.Rich0 Oct 17
Oct 16 Random Blizzard should show you the race of the player when they go random. It is an artificial advantage, and it is a hard one to overcome for at least protoss, I can't speak to zerg or terran, but I think their first 2 minutes is basically the same right now. For protoss right now, your pylon placement is different in each matchup, and it can make a big difference in the game. I.E. not going low ground pylon, but the random player gets zerg. Or going low ground, but getting versus a protoss or terran, which makes you very vulnerable to harass.Jmike1 Oct 16
Oct 16 Liberators What composition are you guys going for pvt where the terran has a decent amount of liberators mixed with a bio army. (standard mix between marauders and marines).Jmike2 Oct 16
Oct 14 how to deal with mass bc is there any way for protoss to deal with max supply army of 3/3 bc with yamato cannon? cause ive had no luck.Avisuara11 Oct 14
Oct 13 testing forum Where is the testing forum?bgdaddy0 Oct 13
Oct 13 Artificially slowed protoss .Jmike0 Oct 13
Oct 9 Cannons Too Weak or Am I Missing Something? I usually stick to Nexus Squadron Strike, but a while back I tried some solo. It was PvP and I tried to tech straight to Carriers as soon as I could. I made a few Zealots and Stalkers for defense and when my natural was up and running I check for a 1 base all in. It was and I didn't have the time nor the production to build an army. So using every mineral from 2 basses I made as many cannons as I possibly could only for the enemy zealots and stalkers to steam roll them. I was first afraid he would run right past them (I had maybe 1 or 2 carriers which had just finished) but he just sat there and took down every single one of them. He tried to surprise me with a one base, I scouted the attack and spent all the resources I had (from 2 bases) on my cannons yet they couldn't stop them. Cannons can't move yet they seem less cost effective than units which can move. It was such a disheartening experience that I haven't played solo since, but I thinking about playing it again. Is there some basic property of Starcraft II which I don't know about that makes this all make sense? Please don't tell me not to make Carriers because they're the best unit in the game and I've seen pros win with them as well as FFA players absolutely obliterate everyone in their path.EzComeEzGo6 Oct 9
Oct 8 Replay : improving my toss https://drop.sc/replay/8597432 I'm aware of some of my mistakes, like the fact that l make stargates too late, but l feel bad for making this building because carriers are dirty and l don't want to use them for ethical reasons. I actually should have lost this game because of that but l somehow managed to save the day with blink stalkers. Still, I'm sure there are countless other mistakes, and this is a fairly long macro game so it'll be easy to point out I guess. Any tips ?srav4 Oct 8
Oct 8 !@#$ sc2 Pawnsuxs2 Oct 8
Oct 8 Bring back mothership core. Bring back mothership core.ZergIsOp0 Oct 8
Oct 8 Bring back the Mothership core I can't beleive it was removed. It was an essential part of every protoss build and my favourite unit. Bring it back. Also: The shield generator just sucks and in my oppinion is a joke of a building. Who came up with this? I can think of no logical way to use it.ChingGao6 Oct 8
Oct 5 How to punish PvP 1Gate expand I though that 2gate expand is the standard opening for PvP. However, i my current league (low plat) many toss 1gate expand and wall of natural, especially when its on the ramp. Suppose i scaut this with the defeault scaut probe and I open the standard 2gate, how to best punish this? Is the full blinkster allin the only way?TyphonVexCZ5 Oct 5
Oct 4 Commander Versus Commander Game Mode What StarCraft 2 Versus mode needs is Commander's versus other Commanders. Sure it's fun to play up against a.i. and complete map objectives. But it would be a lot more fun to go up against other commanders.TemplarsVoid1 Oct 4
Oct 3 Nerf the Versus Starcraft 2 Development Team Versus Mode has become very boring let's face it. The same old crap units have been being used for quite sometime now. There is sadly no new unit content whatsoever. And the really only exciting thing that StarCraft 2 has going anymore, is the Commander Coop gameplay mode. Minor tweaks to this and that unit, really just doesn't do it. Blizzard come on... StarCraft 1 multiplayer is still far more balanced air and ground wise. Why don't you just add some better air units, that can actually hang up against Protoss air... the Terran Valkyrie and the Zerg Scourge. In late or early games, it shouldn't matter which race can win the game. What matters is that each race should be balanced straight across the board, despite whichever time the game is in.TemplarsVoid1 Oct 3
Sep 27 UPDATED Myco's Guide to Lower League Toss Hello everyone, Truly, its been a very long time since I wrote the original Myco's Guide. I am glad to see that it has helped many new players over the years. Nevertheless, It is clear that the guide has become outdated at this point following two expansions. As per many requests found on the original guide, I decided it is a good time for an update. (Jump to the last post for cheesy stuff) Due to real life commitments and shifts in interest, I have barely played much StarCraft2 in the past 5 years, nevertheless, having recently got back to playing a bit more, it does seems many of the core mechanics and ideas of the game remains unchanged. Therefore, I believe I will still be able to offer useful advice to help new players improve their game. Having recently played my way back to diamond, I do notice a general decline in the overall mechanics of the players I face, so that will be the emphasis of this guide as it was the case with the original guide. Many section of the guide may remain the same, that is because these ideas and mechanics really have not changed since WoL. Do note that I cant say I am very knowledgeable with the new Meta so I wont provide too many build order suggestions, I do believe that as longa s you have a solid mechanic you should be able to make to at least Plat with ease. 1.) The Basics 1.1) Probe Production Perhaps the biggest problem I've noticed among lower leagued players is that they don’t make nearly enough workers. Generally speaking, you should never stop your probe production until you are around 80’ish probes. The key to a powerful army is a strong economy, which is powered by a lot of probes. Don’t worry about how making too many probes is going leave you without enough army, unless you’re going for some rush builds ,there is never a time where lots of workers are gonna hurt you. I get a lot of question on whether having 80 supplies in probe will leave enough room for an army, the answer is yes. With warpgate toss is able to quickly replenish losses as long as resources are not an issue, which is far more important than outright having a bigger army. That said, some late game build that focuses on crushing the enemy with high end unit like carriers may benefit from having a bit more supply to play around with. You dont need to make worker non-stop past early game, but you need to remember to chrono boost out a pair of worker once in a while. 1.2) Chrono Boost Chrono boost is another important thing that most low league players miss. You should never save up chrono boost off 1 base unless you are getting an important tech soon. Toss production and research are fairly slow so chrono boost is essential to keep yourself ahead in a game. The importance level of things that needs to be chrono boosted are as follows (imo): Warpgate tech (prob most important tech, worth saving up chrono for)>Extended Thermal Lance/Psi-Storm>Other Upgrades>Robo/Stargate Units>Probes>Warpgates (Late game when you have spare). Of course you need to use early game chrono boosts wisely. Usually you should chrono out your first 2 pairs of probes. After that if you do not require a super fast warpgate you can maybe spend another 1-2 chrono on workers, but save at least one for warpgate. In mid-late game once your on 2-3base, you can feel free to chrono anything you need out fast. It will help a lot to get some vital upgrades out. Remember multiple bases gives you even more chrono to play with. 1.3) Supply This is yet another common problem. Players tend to either make too many pylons thus wasting valuable resource early on or get supply blocked and have their production halted. Supply block at a bad time can easily cost you the game. It is quite hard to not get supply blocked at all during mid-late game. But I'd suggest that every time you goes through 1 production cycle of units (made some units from your production buildings) add 1 pylon for every base you have and maybe a extra one if you’re going supply costly unit like Colossi. Early game pylon drop should be around 15, 21 and so on. I have not fully caught up with a good BO and mostly playing from intuition, but there shouldn't be a shortage of BOs you can use. 1.4) Production Buildings 1 Protoss base can support a maximum of 4 production buildings continuously making units. So you should not have more then 4 production building when you’re on 1 base. If you are going high tech units such as Colossi off of 1 base, you usually can only support continuous production off of 3 buildings (1 robo 2gates). More importantly, once you have expanded add more production buildings so that you can effectively turn your resources into army. You don’t need another 4 buildings up as soon as your expo is up but get them gradually as you saturate your expansion.Mycophobia7 Sep 27
Sep 21 how do you counter the early mass rine/tank? Zealots get ate alive by terran's ranged attacks. They are dead before they get to the marines. Stalkers get ate alive by them.. Sure i can easily counter them late in game, but those early 20 marine pushes against my.. 5-6 lots cream me. Scrabble8 Sep 21
Sep 21 How many observes to make against Lurkers I've been trying using 3, which has not been enough. And no I won't be using oracle, since stalkers are long dead before using reveal. What I think I need is a scan, but on the other hand really don't want to pass such op unit.escobari9 Sep 21
Sep 20 how would you counter muta balls as toss ive had a few games in which the zerg gets a sizable force of mutas but refuses to engage my army, he just flies around and attacks distant bases or attacks only when i leave to attack. What do you do if that starts happening?Avisuara15 Sep 20
Sep 20 Gateway Count Hello, Plat toss here with a question about gateway counts. In PvT I struggle getting enough gateway units in the midgame. I open with a gate expand into tech followed up with gates 2 and 3 as soon as I get 300 minerals without interrupting probe production. I go up to 6 gates at natural saturation of minerals and I go to take a third. When do I need to add gates 7,8 and 9? At half saturation of third, full saturation or earlier?GenSwift6 Sep 20
Sep 20 Genuine Question: How to play PvT as P?? >My PvT was 60% before the Marauder patch, now it is 40% >I'm 4300-4500 MMR with 60% PvP and 50-60% PvZ; obviously there is something about PvT holding back my MMR >I really don't understand what P is supposed to be doing in this matchup: --T army is far stronger/far more mobile --Very difficult to harass T (scvs are sturdy and killing them really doesn't do much to the T economy with T macro power/mules; I have wiped out entire lines of SCVs and seen almost no eco impact in the replay) --Very difficult to attack PF's --Very difficult to do damage to a T base (takes a long time to destroy production) --Can't base trade a T --Pro games do not resemble D1/Masters games so they are not much help >The only way I ever beat T is through proxy double robo or if I'm playing a turtle clown who lets me expo the whole map and get the armada >The ways I lose to T are numerous: --Simultaneous widow mine/hellion/liberator attack first thing in the game (pretty much guaranteed to do damage or end the game on the spot with a good widow hit or hellion hit); because of this it is hard to really ever move anything out because I need stalkers in place to defend; if my opponent is a noob sometimes I win by an all-in counter because he forgets to macro behind it --Get rolled by a fast bio push; either game ending or take out my third or nat --Get rolled by fast tank/bio push; same as above --Get hit with with a double or triple attack; my main army isn't even enough to take the big attacking force, which isn't even his full army --Get sieged by libs >Disruptors seem to be the only effective thing P has to combat T with, but they are countered easily by tanks/libs >To me the matchup seems to be; P has weak/expensive units that are low in number, and numerous base weakness (probe lines, pylons, multiple drop areas) and is looking to land novas and storms; T has strong/cheap units that are high in number/very mobile, and strong base qualities (tanks, bunkers, strong scvs, turrets, PFs) >Watching pro games I see alot of what I describe; I really don't understand what Blizzard wants P to be; it does not make sense that T units are stronger than P units; P units are supposed to be expensive and strong, but they are just garbage (Colossi are completely useless in PvT, for example)llllllllllll3 Sep 20
Sep 20 Effective ways of dealing with 1-base T as P. Sh*t is so damn hard to hold even when scouted early, no ammount of defence seems to be able to keep up with the reactored cyclones just pushing ones stuff over like nothing, can't get immortals out quick enough to matter, can't opt to one base urself as toss even when you see it coming because you'll just end up lightyears behind. I got so infuriated I decided I just simply tanked my P mmr out of spite. Then I got even more furious, played Terran and simply reaper all in the sh*t out of all the one-basers, worked nicely, outagress the agressors, but that's no soliution to playing as Toss. Yes, I'm a useless gold scrub, nonetheless som advice would be nice. Also. Haven't seen a single zerg on ladder today, anything vs Z is my best matchup. Where all the zerg at? Gimme some ladder points dammit! Have tried searches on google, seems to be very little on how to deal with this lame strat. Heeeerppp prease! SwiftRageChaseLeChic6 Sep 20